Do less common colors affect resale? CE in particular.

IRG

I'm debating about selling my CE 24, and in looking on Reverb for price guide, I don't see any the same color as mine, which I believe is Vintage White (or maybe Antique White?)

I actually really love the fact that it's a simple painted top, but wood on the sides/back instead of all one color (all white would be boring to me).

But I wonder if unique/less common colors actually hurt resale, or maybe it helps since it's a bit more unique? I got it new from Ish Guitars in Syracuse, NY. Here's a quick pick, not the best but gives you an idea:

6NMVG8R.jpg

All true, thanks folks. Some colors/finishes seem more classic, hence a wider audience, and others are more niche. And yes, many PRS guitars are known for ornate tops, and obviously mine is not, but not everyone likes the same things, thankfully. Not sure what I’ll do yet. I see new CE24 prices have gone up, I think to $2299 now, so used prices go up too. I just hate the thought of sell and shipping and all the risk that entails. Might do Facebook Market, have had good luck with that in the past.

As we used to say in the motorcycle business...there's a butt for every seat.

Honestly, if I were in the market for a CE, I would be all over it!

To my eyes...a lot of the "opaque" finishes really show off the carve. IMHO the painted tops look better than most of the tops I've seen on a lot of other CE's in the past.

I for one, think it's friggin killer! If you decide to put it on the market, I'm sure somebody will snatch it up.

I think classic solids like white, black, or goldtop wouldn’t suffer. Hot pink? Maybe just a little or maybe it would attract the one buyer who wants to overpay.

Totally agreed that white top is awesome and you shouldn’t sell it though.

As we used to say in the motorcycle business...there's a butt for every seat.

Honestly, if I were in the market for a CE, I would be all over it!

To my eyes...a lot of the "opaque" finishes really show off the carve. IMHO the painted tops look better than most of the tops I've seen on a lot of other CE's in the past.

I for one, think it's friggin killer! If you decide to put it on the market, I'm sure somebody will snatch it up.

^this^

I don’t really want to sell it. But not sure I’m passionate about it. About 4 months ago, I paid off my graduate student loan. So I bought a new guitar. Nothing pricey, and I found a Schecter I really liked spec wise. Well this $499 guitar has kinda become my favorite. Why? Pickups maybe, feel, vibe, not sure. But I have a Gibson LP Classic, the PRS CE24, and a Fender Roadworn Telecaster and the Schecter just gets played 90% of the time.

So I ask why? I play either metal, clean or blues. But the CE24 doesn’t really cover this spectrum specifically. Pickups 85/15 aren’t hot enough, but sound nice split. But the Schecter split sound even better. But not PAF either. Not popular here to say a $500 Schecter is preferred over a $2300 PRS. But it’s all good, it’s more about what fits your style more than anything else.

Played the CE some more tonight. Enjoyed it, a lot. Did some basic drop d chugging and it held tune very well. A bit higher gain would be better like the Schecter but its nice having one guitar with a tremolo, that’s not a Floyd. So the CE is staying. Might have to sell something else. Not sure what, maybe the Tele, love it, but the vintage feel isn’t my thing anymore.

If you like the way it plays ever think about just throwing in a hotter pickup? Maybe PRS \m/ or Tremonti treble or HFS? I absolutely love those solid top guitars, esp in white or a light blue, with the natural binding and back. Super sharp - Ish is awesome.

As a new PRS guy ive been wondering that also. I bought 3 used cores in the last week lol. 1 is a 2020 artist? 10 top Charcoal cherry burst paid $3050 shipped and one is a 2014 faded whale blue quilt 408 paid $2550 shipped but looks like obsidian in some pictures very odd unique top. The other arrives today is a 1997 Custom 22 in clear blue (hopefully with OG dragon 1 pickups!) Paid $1900

. And wondered if i paid too much? Can resale later if need be? ECT

As a new PRS guy ive been wondering that also. I bought 3 used cores in the last week lol. 1 is a 2020 artist? 10 top Charcoal cherry burst paid $3050 shipped and one is a 2014 faded whale blue quilt 408 paid $2550 shipped but looks like obsidian in some pictures very odd unique top. The other arrives today is a 1997 Custom 22 in clear blue (hopefully with OG dragon 1 pickups!) Paid $1900

. And wondered if i paid too much? Can resale later if need be? ECT
Way to jump in with both feet!

Yeah..... i dont play around.

Really the charcoal cherry burst i was debating on, and got sold before i could buy it. So went for choice #2 the 408. Then the 1997 Custom 22 came up for (i believe cheap $1800)

Then 3 days later the charchol popped up again (maybe canceled order due to the damage?) And i ordered that...... so far the 594 and 408 are stunning. Will see on the custom 22

If you like the way it plays ever think about just throwing in a hotter pickup? Maybe PRS \m/ or Tremonti treble or HFS? I absolutely love those solid top guitars, esp in white or a light blue, with the natural binding and back. Super sharp - Ish is awesome.

Thought about that idea too. Actually i like the 85/15 a lot for most stuff, they're not going anywhere. I just need more guitars to try out more pickups :) I had downsized to 3 guitars, but that has felt confining, so I added a 4th. Now I'm thinking of just adding one more, without going hog wild. I've not been playing that much in the last couple of months, but working too much, concentrating on a new job, which has since not worked out.

So I'm reevaluating work, and since I have the luxury of working from home 2-3 days a work, I'm going to do more of that, which means more guitar distractions/playing, and I'm ok with that :)

Back