Do i need an MT15 if i have 2 Archons

You'll actually need four of the MT heads...

two for the stereo or wet/dry, then a backup pair in case those two blow up...

Hmmmm, wants vs. needs...blah, blah, blah...it's like this...if you "want something badly enough, you'll find a reason(s) you really "need" that something. I know it defies all logic...but trust me when I say this...save the thinking for the new appliances or the next must have smart phone. This is the fun stuff bro. Don't ever let reason or practicallity cloud your judgement while on a gear quest...besides, I think that's like one of the 10 Comandments? No? Well, it shoulda beeno_O. Just sayin...:cool:

They all sound amazing! I think the MT15 gets louder faster than the Archon .The Archon seems easier to dial in a bedroom tone to me. For a show you can't go wrong with either IMO

I've gotten my self to the point of using this amp for what it is rather than my expectation of it being a smaller, quieter version of the archons. Now I think the GAS extends to trying it out through cabinets that I do not already have. The sickness continues!

Now I think the GAS extends to trying it out through cabinets that I do not already have. The sickness continues!

The struggle is very real my friend. To fight it is just an excersise in futility....

Last edited:
I've gotten my self to the point of using this amp for what it is rather than my expectation of it being a smaller, quieter version of the archons. Now I think the GAS extends to trying it out through cabinets that I do not already have. The sickness continues!
This is a great quote!!!!

The MT15 moved into the #1 spot for me as well & that was not the original plan.

Good luck on the can search!!!

X

I like the clean channel, but I use it with the boost engaged to give it more hair and headroom. For crunch, or more classic rock tones, I roll down my guitars volume...works for me.

Hair is what happens when an amp runs out of headroom and begins to distort. Hair (distortion) and headroom are actually opposites.

In audio, headroom is the clean volume remaining before you get into distortion If you’re getting hair, you’ve run out of headroom and your amp has started to clip. That’s not a bad thing - that transition from clean to hair is my sweet spot.

Boosting the signal reduces headroom, causing the amp to distort sooner when you hit a note.

All I know, is that I when I engage the boost on the treble know, it increases the volume of the clean channel substantially, and gives it a bit more gain, for less pristine clean sound...I like it.

No. Just flat-out "no". the 100 is for bigger shows, outdoors gigs, etc. The 25 is for smaller clubs and rehearsals at half power. so no. :p

Again, No. Flat-out "no". We are not going to have the modeler versus tube discussion. Just no. :D

seriously? who uses words like "moribund" in a guitar forum? I mean, i can see Les using it because his vocation makes him vociferous (or vice versa?) :p

So, yes, i acquired one because no one came up with a good reason not to do so, and, because, you know, the best way to try something is to play it with your own gear.

It is not what i was expecting.

First of all, it is loud. Like seriously loud. Like wow. I was thinking it would be a polite amp that had great 6L6 balls wrapped in a small package - you know, a handy little amp you could carry to your friend's house and jam with but not use for anything else except perhaps a really small club. I was completely wrong. holy crap! Even on half power this thing is really super loud.

Secondly, it is very articulate, as advertised, with ridiculous clarity.

I have not found the clean channel to be pleasing at all. Still trying it through different cabinets but it is not moving me. There is no "warm clean amp" to it, just a lack of gain.

On the other hand, the lead channel is somewhat mind-blowing. It is very tight and modern from the get-go, a really controlled-anger meanness, while being noiseless. The downside to the lead channel is that i find no crunch, which is where i typically play.

Do i "need" it? So, still on the fence with this one.

Is it just the lack of breakup on the clean channel that bothers you?

I also found it didn’t have much crunch, even with the boost engaged, it still doesn’t break up much for me until I crank the master. My theory is that’s because I use much lower output pickups than MT himself.

I don’t mind the squeaky clean vibe of that channel, I’m a drive pedal fiend, but that’s just me. The EQ balance of that channel is fantastic for dirt pedals, the trick for me has been getting the mids above noon, which is where the richest tones start.

Have you A/B’d your MT15 against the Archon through the same speaker? Curious to see what you think. Personally, I don’t find myself needing an Archon now, but, ya know, my mind wanders.

All I know, is that I when I engage the boost on the treble know, it increases the volume of the clean channel substantially, and gives it a bit more gain, for less pristine clean sound...I like it.

Yup, increases the volume, but also distorts enough to give you the hair. If there was more headroom, you would have more volume, but not have the hair.

And to me, when that happens it’s the best sound ever!

Back