Do I go Modeler or Not

MarcWink

Well, got back to gigging a little bit and have been remembering what a gigantic pain it is to lug my rig around with me. For a typical gig, it's a guitar or two, a Peavey Delta Blues 210, my pedal board that needs desperately to be put on a diet, and cables and such as needed. I'm now giving some serious thought to moving over to something like a Boss GT 1000, Headrush Pedalboard, or Helix LT that I can just run straight to the venue's PA. Anyone else doing this? What are people's experience with modelers used in this manner insofar as the pros and cons?

My two cents (probably not even worth that) is go modeler! The sounds and options available on the new modelers are stellar and are the equivalent of having a warehouse full of gear at your feet. Of course, there is the old school who will never get rid of their amps and huge arrays of pedals, but in my world, I would rather have a thousand options to choose from in one package rather than trying to keep track of and maintain all that gear. In your situation, you may need to spend a considerable amount of time to get your modeler dialed in to match your current set up, but once you do, your doin' shots after the show rather than packing up and hauling gear ;~)) I just received my first modeler (Axe FXIII Turbo) about 2 weeks ago and I have fallen in love with it. It is the best music purchase I have ever made other than my PRS guitars. Here is a photo of my rig, which is in a Gator case on wheels ;~))
MyRack_2022Jan07.jpg

Let me know if you want any additional details about likes, don't likes, set up, etc. Good luck with finding your zen!

For me, the biggest problem with modelers is the lack of punch at the attack of the note, and the restricted dynamic range. This is especially problematic in my recording projects for clients.

However...

If I played out a lot, I'd get a Helix or a Kemper, and save my back. Some compromises are made necessary by one's ability to schlep stuff around.

These days, a modeller is a fantastic tool for musicians. Whether that's for Studio, home or fly gigs to massive stadium tours.

The 'big' attraction to modellers, particularly for gigging, is their consistency and size/weight. The ability to have the 'same' sound night after night and without having to lug around more 'delicate' but heavy amp heads, Cabs, Mics etc. Other benefits may include having the option to use many different Amps/Cabs etc in your 'Rig' so you may have a Fender style amp for Cleans, maybe a Marshall for crunch/rock and maybe a Revv for High Gain or a different 'rig' for every song you play Live and a simple 'press' of a foot switch to move between them - no more tap-dancing.

Sound and 'feel' maybe a bit different with Modellers - which isn't a 'bad' thing, its just different. In the Studio, they often 're-amp' a direct signal with modellers, plug in's etc. A lot of Modellers also make it easy for 'home' recording too as they can go 'direct' to your DAW. Much easier than trying to Mic a Cab!

As I said, Modellers are a Fantastic tool and maybe the 'right' tool for you. A HX Stomp on a Pedal Board maybe all you need...

Hmmm. Y'all are really making me lean toward a modeler of some sort. Problem is, which one do I spring for? It's definitely a live use tool more than anything else, and though my pedal board is immense, I use an effects loop switcher to set up "presets" for specific songs in the set. I don't want to go the Kemper Stage route because of the lack of an in built expression pedal. Fractal FM9 is a no go for lack of availability and lack of in built expression pedal. That leaves me with Boss GT 1000, Line 6 Helix LT, and Headrush Pedalboard. Any thoughts on those? The one thing that does put the Line 6

I'm old, and I'm old school.

I run a large Furman pedalboard, which includes my Line6 G50 wireless. Right now I'm using a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 (had to replace the junk Chinese tubes but it's been stellar since) with a Hughes & Kettner 1x10 cab loaded with a Celestion. A very light "Mini-Me" stack!

I take 2 guitars to every gig in a MONO M80 Dual bag.

These things, along with a Hercules double guitar stand, PRS gig bag, and portable fan all go in one trip on a Rock & Roller cart.

I'm up and running in 10-15 minutes, and man do I love the sound and feel of real tubes and a speaker!

BONUS: The built-in Red Box in the H & K keeps me from setting up a microphone, and sounds great in the PA and monitors.

Last edited:
I am playing out with an HD500X plugged into the front of an actual Fender amp. I feel like that is the best of both worlds. The 500x is not as up to date on cabs and amp sims, but the effects are really close. And I get the "tube tone and warmth" from my actual amp. So I have my guitars, ONE self contained pedal board, and a combo amp (albeit, a bit heavy) to lug with me. If I were to drop the amp, I'd have to upgrade to one of the more modern modelers as I would need the amp sims to sound more "tube like". But just in pedal board mode, this one does the trick for me.

I got a Helix right when they came out. I gigged with it for several years. I loved it. I carried a 4 space rack, a diaper bag with my Helix Control, and an EVZLX12P. It took me about 4 minutes to setup!!

Being in an original band it was really easy to find a sound I liked. At the the I was using, mostly, a Rivera S120 in a wet/dry setup with 2 Rivera C112 cabs for the dry signal and a Mesa Recto 2x12 for the effects.

To approximate the drive sound of my Rivera, I used the Vox AC30 model with the OCD model for gain. For the clean side I used the Twin Reverb model. Programming snapshots allowed me to have channel switching in one patch.

Once I had my base tone, I copied it to multiple patches - one for each song in our set. Then, I created song-specific pedalboards in the patches. Using snapshots I created presets within the patch for the needs of the song.

One of the cool things about snapshots was I could change settings on the amp for different parts of the song. I could lower preamp drive while increasing reverb for the verse, then hit a button and be in the chorus with more preamp drive and less reverb for the chorus. Then, I could punch a third button and add an overdrive and phase, while decreasing bass on the amp and giving a slight volume increase for the lead. Then for the next song, I'd have the base amp tone with song- prepped effects and amp settings.

I never got into using different amps for different songs. I never carted a dozen amps to a gig. So why do that just because I technically could? I always approached the Helix as self-contained rack that held my amp, cabs, and effects in one easy place.

Now that I don't play live anymore I tend to use different "amps" for different applications. The Helix is a piece of gear I have never outgrown or felt the need to replace.

Do it!!!

I’ve been gigging Fractal Audio gear for over a decade, currently the Axe Fx III Turbo. I love tube amps and pedals, and own some great ones, but the consistency, ease of use, ridiculously expansive options range, and compact transport/setup size is hard to argue with on the modeler side. I tried lesser units, with never terrible but never awesome results. The Axe Fx is in a league of its own for me. Top of the modeler food chain.

I’ve been gigging Fractal Audio gear for over a decade, currently the Axe Fx III Turbo. I love tube amps and pedals, and own some great ones, but the consistency, ease of use, ridiculously expansive options range, and compact transport/setup size is hard to argue with on the modeler side. I tried lesser units, with never terrible but never awesome results. The Axe Fx is in a league of its own for me. Top of the modeler food chain.
Fight fight, there's gonna be a fight!

My two cents (probably not even worth that) is go modeler! The sounds and options available on the new modelers are stellar and are the equivalent of having a warehouse full of gear at your feet. Of course, there is the old school who will never get rid of their amps and huge arrays of pedals, but in my world, I would rather have a thousand options to choose from in one package rather than trying to keep track of and maintain all that gear. In your situation, you may need to spend a considerable amount of time to get your modeler dialed in to match your current set up, but once you do, your doin' shots after the show rather than packing up and hauling gear ;~)) I just received my first modeler (Axe FXIII Turbo) about 2 weeks ago and I have fallen in love with it. It is the best music purchase I have ever made other than my PRS guitars. Here is a photo of my rig, which is in a Gator case on wheels ;~))
MyRack_2022Jan07.jpg

Let me know if you want any additional details about likes, don't likes, set up, etc. Good luck with finding your zen!

How is this less gear and easier to carry than let's say a Fender Deluxe and a small pedalboard?
What am I missing here?????? :confused:

Back