Do I buy a new Custom 24 or a vintage one?

Pre 94 PRS Custom or New Custom 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vintage Yellow

Now there is a dilemma, I'm soon going to take the plunge and treat myself in my early retirement to a PRS. I have had dozens over the years and always sold them. The first one I bought was in the late 80's from Chandlers. Since then I have had several Customs 24's a handful of 22's, one Standard, two Signatures, two Artists, a Mc Carty, a Hiland, and lastly two DGT's about two years back. I have come to learn that the Custom 24 with a regular neck profile in of course Vintage Yellow is my PRS for life, and I mean life. I only want one more, keep it and forget about changing. I have had enough of lsoing money on them so this one WILL stay.
So I really like the new guitars, love the 85/15 pickups, the headstock inlay and tuners etc....but for some reason I'm drawn to the the old pre 1994 Customs. I'm not a fan of the early tuners but love the almost handmade vintage feel of them. However the last one I had about three years ago was a plain goldtop with moons but it seemed to he a little unstable and I felt like the neck joint was to blame, I guess thats why Paul lengthened them.
So what do you guys think....old or new? Has anyone got both. Please help, all advice gladly taken on board.

Can't comment on the earlier model i'm afraid. I have the 30th anni model and for me is a superb instrument and can do most anything. Taking into account Paul and the team always try to improve models and build on past learnings.
It's a hard one for you but if you get a gut feeling for a particular one go for it what have you got to lose Great guitar or Great guitar and peace of mind.
good luck its a hard one.!!! Keep us posted' Al

Old one. I like the tuners, the rotary, the look and the vibe.

But this is about you.

I prefer the look and feel of the new ones to the older ones. But honestly, get your hands on it and go after what feels right.

I agree with Veinbuster, however I do generally prefer the new ones. I like the pickups, the blade switch, and the tuning machines.

I got my first Custom in 1991, so I have fond memories of the old ones, too.

Tough call.........I would love an old one with one piece trem but not a big fan of hfs pickups. The 30th Ann. Would be really cool and they look beautiful.

Like I said tough call!

The 2015 and newer Custom 24's and the McCarty 594's are the best guitars PRS has ever built. As a matter of fact, the 2015 and newer Custom 24's are so good that (imho) they (PRS) just wrecked the collectability and value of the 1985 models floating around on the used market. No need to lust after a 1985 model when the 2015's/2016's are available.

I say, do a little plucking around on some new ones and whatever used ones are in the area, your hands and ears will tell you what to buy.

I've owned older PRSi and my newest model is a 408 (2013), from that I say I like the older tuners a bit better and miss the rotary, but pickup-wise and overall construction & feel, I gotta say they're making them better now than they ever did before. (At least from my experience)

I also got one (my first PRS) in 1991. More recently picked up a 30th Anniversary. For me, the latter is the much better instrument.

My 1992 never felt hand made, because it wasn't. A hand-operated duplicarver machine does give an amazing feel though. ;)

I'm not voting either because I also think you need to *play* both and find a specific guitar that you really love if you're going to keep it for the rest of your life.

Personally, if I was only going to have one it would probably be a new or at least recent used one because I believe Paul when he says they're making the best instruments that they've ever made today.

I do like the idea of buying new and putting your own soul into the guitar.

I have a 2003 CU24 with VB and HFS pick ups. The pick ups on the newer CU 22's and CU24's are quite different and while I have not played a new one side by side with my old model, I suspect that the tones are quite different. You may want to play both before you decide. I think PRS has upped their game in terms of overall quality on the new core models.

If you know the serial number of your first PRS or can get a hold of the person you sold it to, I greatly suggest you get that one back. Its a vintage one, and it was your first (brand new when you got it I assume)... I guarantee you will fall in love again.

custom24retro.jpg

I added a pic to make it even easier. PS Custom 24 Retro in Vintage Yellow no less.

Tough call.........I would love an old one with one piece trem but not a big fan of hfs pickups. The 30th Ann. Would be really cool and they look beautiful.

Like I said tough call!

Well, the one piece trem desire can still satiated either way, Mr. Mann has helped me out more than once there :)

I have both and there is no wrong answer. Buy the one that speaks to you from a top and tone perspective. The pups can always be changed.

Back