Do guitar Tuners with these features exist?

90sMcCarty

* no-drill replacement for SE tuners
* handle .11-.50 well (DR Pure Blues 11s)
* locking
* 18:1 gear ratio
* modern backs, but vintage buttons
* not Hipshot UMP style mounting

It looks like the Grover 406s would fit the bill, since you can put Hipshot vintage looking buttons on them, except that the 406s have that unique locking mechanism and I've read they're a pain with larger strings like .11s...

Does anyone make Vintage looking buttons for the Schalers that are drop-in?

If not, and I forego the 18:1 ratio wish, does anyone make Vintage looking buttons that fit the Mann SE modified tuners?

(When I say vintage looking buttons, I mean the smaller more Trapezoidal ones in the yellowish bone-like color, such as some PRSs ship with, but I'd like those buttons on modern nickel mechanisms rather than the dual-screw 14:1 old style.)

Am I stuck with the Grovers and that locking mechanism if I want this combo, or the Hotshot UMP? Say it isn't so...

Thanks.

Yes, exactly, but on modern mechanisms like this (that's also 18:1, drop in for SE, locking, closed back, and doesn't use that Hipshot UMP):

A04_1__56582.1430682113.560.560.jpg

What’s wrong with the ump? I have the hipshot and it works great. If you go with the Grover’s, it’s going to be a pain in the a** to swap out the buttons

What’s wrong with the ump? I have the hipshot and it works great. If you go with the Grover’s, it’s going to be a pain in the a** to swap out the buttons
Nothing wrong, per se, I'm just not into the way the UMP looks. I'm sure the Hipshots works great. I wish they mounted normally and instead came in a PRS-screw format.

I'm not crazy about the Grovers, either, that locking mechanism sounds as irritating as it does useful, and I've read strings bigger than 10s are an extra pain to get through, and I always play 11s-50s, so no Grovers.

As far as I know, in drop-in options, that only leaves Schaler and Mann/PRS, and I'd prefer the finer granularity of 18:1, so I guess it's Schalers w/o vintage buttons.

I'll certainly live, but was hoping I night have overlooked another option.

Thanks.

* no-drill replacement for SE tuners
* handle .11-.50 well (DR Pure Blues 11s)
* locking
* 18:1 gear ratio
* modern backs, but vintage buttons
* not Hipshot UMP style mounting

It looks like the Grover 406s would fit the bill, since you can put Hipshot vintage looking buttons on them, except that the 406s have that unique locking mechanism and I've read they're a pain with larger strings like .11s...

Does anyone make Vintage looking buttons for the Schalers that are drop-in?

If not, and I forego the 18:1 ratio wish, does anyone make Vintage looking buttons that fit the Mann SE modified tuners?

(When I say vintage looking buttons, I mean the smaller more Trapezoidal ones in the yellowish bone-like color, such as some PRSs ship with, but I'd like those buttons on modern nickel mechanisms rather than the dual-screw 14:1 old style.)

Am I stuck with the Grovers and that locking mechanism if I want this combo, or the Hotshot UMP? Say it isn't so...

Thanks.
Grover 406s work perfectly. Had them on my SE One w/ 11s until I had to change a string on a dark stage. Couldn’t find the hole to save my life (this is your free setup for the week). Changed to the Mann-modded SE tuners on my SE245 and never looked back. Those get my two thumbs up.

Grover 406s work perfectly. Had them on my SE One w/ 11s until I had to change a string on a dark stage. Couldn’t find the hole to save my life (this is your free setup for the week). Changed to the Mann-modded SE tuners on my SE245 and never looked back. Those get my two thumbs up.

+1, I use an 11-54 set with the Grover 406c’s on my SE, no problems at all with the string gauge. I could see them being a pain to change in the dark though! Fortunately I’ve not had to do so.

Did you research graphic ration locking tuner? It’s a little expensive, but I heard nothing but good things.

Did you research graphic ration locking tuner? It’s a little expensive, but I heard nothing but good things.
No, I'd never seen those before.

I don't know about that variable ratio bit. An interesting idea, to be sure. I'd like to check some out in person. Maybe one of the local gear shops have a set installed on something.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I had never seen the Graphtech Ratio. Nice! They are pricey but if they impact retention of intonation by keeping a high ratio on the G string, for example, that makes a big difference. I’ve got another build that may just get these instead of the Gotoh Magnum locking. Thanks for the heads-up!

Last edited:
I'm going to try out those Ratio tuners. The idea of the G tuner being a higher gear ratio is brilliant. It's so fiddly, normally. That's what sold me, enough to try them.

We'll see...

I'm going to try out those Ratio tuners. The idea of the G tuner being a higher gear ratio is brilliant. It's so fiddly, normally. That's what sold me, enough to try them.

We'll see...

Yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing about these also. The price shied me away.

Back