Do different guitars make you play different styles?

TMeury

Ah jeez.
Sure, different guitars are suited for different styles but do you find yourself playing different naturally when you pick up a different guitar?

For example: when I pick up my Standard, I play more prog rock stuff naturally and if I pick up a Strat, I play more blues/funk naturally. I'd assume if I owned a single coil Tele I'd play country/bluegrass finger picking licks all day.
When I say naturally, I mean as in improv...

Anyone else notice this?

Most definitely. I find that I play things are that are naturally suited to the guitar's setup. That being said I do try to play out of the "style" that is usually attributed to a specific type o guitar but that is usually after my bit of noodling.

Only if the are pointy, then I play the metal licks I learned as a teen.(and hope there is a mirror nearby)

Definitely. As much as I semi like the strat-ey sound that I can get with my custom 24 when I turn that 5-way rotary knob I don't quiet get the same bluesy sound I get when I pick up a strat. Which sucks because I can't stand how strats feel.

Yes
I obey what my guitar tells me to play.
When I'm at home, I often don't know what I'm going to do until after I pick up one of the guitars, then I just let its voice come out.

100% it influences me..... if I stop thinking too much and let if flow I will lean a particular way. I notice it most on say a Les Paul which I will play 2 notes per string licks mostly, where as when I get on one of my old Jems 3-notes per string type fingering pops out a lot more during improv.

The thing that's cool about different guitars is that they take me to new places I might not otherwise discover. They all have something a little different to say, and I approach them accordingly. It helps me to be more creative and keep things fresh. They don’t necessarily make me play different styles, but can influence what I play.

RickO said:
The thing that's cool about different guitars is that they take me to new places I might not otherwise discover. They all have something a little different to say, and I approach them accordingly. It helps me to be more creative and keep things fresh. They don’t necessarily make me play different styles, but can influence what I play.

I relate very strongly to this!

Yes. A caveat yes.

classical gets me to bust out flamenco or classical stuff I've learned. steel string acoustics make me noodle around for some reason. I'm mostly focused on my classical or electric though. *holds up the weird member club card*

but electric I play different styles . . . on all of them. Ok well the tele doesn't go will with grunch crunch rock the heritage (LP) sounds better with.

But for me a guitar just really is something to make music with and whilst certain types specialize in certain styles there isn't hard and fast rules . . . only guidelines :D

I wouldn't say they "make" me play differnt styles, but they do serve very different purposes. I try playing the old jazz standard "All the Things You Are" on my DC3 and it just doesn't sound as good as when I play it on my 22 Semi-Hollow, LTD. But I bought the DC3 for blues and rock (Jimi, SRV, Trower, Gilmour), not for jazz. So, in a sense, the tone of a guitar will determine what style/genre I play.

Back