Do Cute Amps Matter?

Finally got some pics uploaded... I know, slacker. I recently ordered the bottom 1x12 Fillmore cab to match it. Should get it around Christmas. This has the stock Celestion Custom 90 in it and so does the bottom cab. It's very punchy and articulate, very different sound for every guitar I plug in, but that is a good thing.

That looks fantastic! Now I’m thinking mine’s too plain. Pretty guitar, too. What a great match!

Finally got some pics uploaded... I know, slacker. I recently ordered the bottom 1x12 Fillmore cab to match it. Should get it around Christmas. This has the stock Celestion Custom 90 in it and so does the bottom cab. It's very punchy and articulate, very different sound for every guitar I plug in, but that is a good thing.

Those look BA together. I like how you even had the indicator lights done in red to match too! ;)

YummMEE!!

It occurs to me that my amps are far nicer looking than my Studio Craptastic in which they sit.

This has been my problem: I really want to redo the studio, but whenever I make up my mind to go for it, PRS comes out with a guitar I want, or an amp, so I buy that instead, and put off the studio thing! Or some damn thing goes wrong with my back, and I can’t move the gear out of the way to get the room redone, like this year.

Here’s a studio room that I like a lot. It’s kind of dreamy! It’s not a fancy, high-tech room, but it’d be a nice place to work and record in with the addition of acoustical treatment. I love the flooring, cabinet, ceiling, materials. Whoever designed this had a great eye:

DZNeOWU.jpg

And now the sad reality of Studio Craptastic; though the workstation area belo is admittedly not too terrible compared to the back, Studio Craptastic is not very inspiring compared to the dream room above, in fact, it’s relatively cheesy. My big redo last month? I put the amps further out from the back wall, where arguably they sound a little better (or at least different):

saSWCh8.jpg

XAIgCc1.jpg

It occurs to me that my amps are far nicer looking than my Studio Craptastic in which they sit.

This has been my problem: I really want to redo the studio, but whenever I make up my mind to go for it, PRS comes out with a guitar I want, or an amp, so I buy that instead, and put off the studio thing! Or some damn thing goes wrong with my back, and I can’t move the gear out of the way to get the room redone, like this year.

Here’s a studio room that I like a lot. It’s kind of dreamy! It’s not a fancy, high-tech room, but it’d be a nice place to work and record in with the addition of acoustical treatment. I love the flooring, cabinet, ceiling, materials. Whoever designed this had a great eye:

DZNeOWU.jpg

And now the sad reality of Studio Craptastic; though the workstation area belo is admittedly not too terrible compared to the back, Studio Craptastic is not very inspiring compared to the dream room above, in fact, it’s relatively cheesy. My big redo last month? I put the amps further out from the back wall, where arguably they sound a little better (or at least different):

saSWCh8.jpg

XAIgCc1.jpg

I think your studio is nice. A little mood lighting could go a long way, the lighting is a bit austere/functional in these photos. Maybe give that a go before spending 10k on hardwood?

I think your studio is nice. A little mood lighting could go a long way, the lighting is a bit austere/functional in these photos. Maybe give that a go before spending 10k on hardwood?

I have dimmers that give the studio a modicum of mood lighting, and there’s a lamp as well that’s kinda semi-groovy when the lights are low. But still. It ain’t all that!

I priced out the company that made it. I think it would be about PS cost. Not a cheap deal! But oh so nice.
I’ve looked at them before as well - out of my budget range. They do some great custom work though!

DZNeOWU.jpg

saSWCh8.jpg

XAIgCc1.jpg
There’s always changing the floor and painting the walls :)

DZNeOWU.jpg

saSWCh8.jpg

XAIgCc1.jpg

Is there a soffit in the back by the amps? The ceiling looks shorter there, if so that’s where I’d do the case.

I also wouldn’t be able to resist the temptation to wall off the area behind the monitors. I assume that’s where the entrance is? You could put in another door and a little window to turn that into a make-shift vocal booth...

Is there a soffit in the back by the amps? The ceiling looks shorter there, if so that’s where I’d do the case.

Yes, that’s precisely where I’d put it, too.

I also wouldn’t be able to resist the temptation to wall off the area behind the monitors. I assume that’s where the entrance is? You could put in another door and a little window to turn that into a make-shift vocal booth...

Actually, that’s where the entrance to the storage room is. The door closer to the small desk with the lamp is the actual entrance to the room. The storage room/furnace room area is about 3x as large as my current studio room. I originally planned to add a large recording room there, could be as large as 15x20 and still leave a ton of room for storage. So far, I haven’t done it, obviously. Two Reasons: 1) Because PRS guitars and amps + Temptation = Budgetary Black Hole; and 2) The studio room I have actually has a very nice sound.

It wouldn’t be all that expensive to create a nice sized recording room, and the ceilings in my basement could be built as high as ten feet. So the whole enchilada would be part of the so-far-nonexistent Studio Do-Over.

Yes, that’s precisely where I’d put it, too.

Actually, that’s where the entrance to the storage room is. The door closer to the small desk with the lamp is the actual entrance to the room. The storage room/furnace room area is about 3x as large as my current studio room. I originally planned to add a large recording room there, could be as large as 15x20 and still leave a ton of room for storage. So far, I haven’t done it, obviously. Two Reasons: 1) Because PRS guitars and amps + Temptation = Budgetary Black Hole; and 2) The studio room I have actually has a very nice sound.

It wouldn’t be all that expensive to create a nice sized recording room, and the ceilings in my basement could be built as high as ten feet. So the whole enchilada would be part of the so-far-nonexistent Studio Do-Over.

OMG, Empty space? That’s such a temptation!

I’m in awe of how much Les has retained.
OMG, Empty space? That’s such a temptation!

The main reason? Because I’m storing everything my kids ever owned before they graduated College, plus everything my wife and I ever owned in a much larger house, plus all my mother’s stuff from before she moved to a retirement home, plus all of my boxes and junk for all of my guitars, studio gear, amps, car stuff, you name it.

Also my wife saves boxes from everything she buys. Just in case she wants to return stuff, which rarely ever happens.

Just getting rid of the boxes would be a three day effort! So I start thinking about that, and going through all the boxes to decide what to keep and what to get rid of, and then dumping a ton of stuff, and I want to sit down, have a drink and forget all about it.

In fact, the thought is so exhausting I’m sipping on a Monkey 47 martini right now to get over thinking it. ;)

Back