Do Cute Amps Matter?

@LSchefman how do you like your Fillmore so far?

No complaints, it’s a sweet amp. I need to get the matching Fillmore cab for it, but I’m having trouble deciding between a 112 and a 212 (I usually prefer 212 cabs, but I don’t have any 112s and they’re nice to have around from time to time), and also deciding what speakers to load it with. It sounds great with the stock speakers, but I’ve heard it’s killer with the Celestion Cream 90s.

What speaker did you order?

Until I get a cab for it, it’s being underutilized, because using it involves moving one of the other heads, hooking up cables, etc., and I’m just so lazy. I like to put a head on a cab, wire it up, and leave it there, using a switcher to go between amps.

I did get a set of NOS tubes for it, but I’m waiting to get a cab for it before I install them, because, I dunno. Seems like I want all the goodness to happen at once.

One interesting thing about the amp is that I like it best with the guitar straight in, bypassing the pedalboard. That’s pretty unusual for me, but that may change once I get a cab for it.

Last edited:
So on the topics of nicely-dressed amps and cabs, especially PRS ones, I was actually having this very thought today:

PRS has, over the years, issued amps in various tolex styles, including gold-paisley, black paisley, plum, and the tuxedo look. Regarding the gold paisley: at first I thought I'd never buy, now I have an HXDA combo amp in it and it is marvelous.

Right now, you are limited to the cream tolex plus cherry-stained hog look for the DG amps, and the regular black tolex look for everything else (which is Archon and J-MOD, Sonzera, and, um the MT15 I suppose for the matching cab).

The 1x12 and 2x12 cabs offered up outside the DG and J-MOD lines are "imports" with no (visual) pizzazz, IMHO. I'm not even sure I like the speaker arrangement of the 2x12, and the birch plywood makes me wonder at acoustics.

I'd really like a matching 1x12 cab for my HXDA in gold paisley. I've spotted two for sale, ever, and failed to make it happen.

@Shawn@PRS , any plans in the works to offer up US-made 1x12 or 2x12 cabs with figured maple wood fascia and a variety of tolex/covering material like the offerings from 4 or 5 years ago? I really want ore of that "cabinetry"...

That being said, the Archon 25W combo I just picked up looks very "metal" in its solid black tolex and black grille. Almost bought one of the plum/wheat ones, though...

Perhaps elsewhere?

6g4leyu.jpg

No, not even wherever.

Perhaps elsewhere?

6g4leyu.jpg

No, not even wherever.
I could rock that!
In the company of whom? Are we to see you challenging the Teletubbies for audience share?
Dude, there is a whole demographic of potential, uh, "college-aged female fans" that would think it was "just so cute!" and that you would be a "super cool dude comfortable in his own skin" that might just, um, appreciate the motif. Same ones with backpacks with the same imagery.

Note: it only works if you are somewhere in the vicinity of their age range. And you'd probably have to grow a man-bun and neck beard. Notthatiwouldknowanythingaboutthat.

Dude, there is a whole demographic of potential, uh, "college-aged female fans" that would think it was "just so cute!" and that you would be a "super cool dude comfortable in his own skin" that might just, um, appreciate the motif. Same ones with backpacks with the same imagery.

Note: it only works if you are somewhere in the vicinity of their age range. And you'd probably have to grow a man-bun and neck beard. Notthatiwouldknowanythingaboutthat.

"Hey, nineteen
No, we got nothin' common
No, we can't dance together
No, we can't talk at all
Please take me along when you slide on down"

As a gag, I built several SE 5 watters with primo "stuff" and built them in little "Gorilla" 1x8 and 1x10 combo boxes. Had some fun when people heard them and would give you that "holy crap" look when they expected crap tone and the amp sounded really nice, and loud. One had a 15 watt Hammond OT and a 10" Alnico Red Fang. Loudest 5 watt combo I've ever heard.

"Hey, nineteen
No, we got nothin' common
No, we can't dance together
No, we can't talk at all
Please take me along when you slide on down"

I know it’s fashionable to diss Steely Dan, but I listen to their stuff and still dig it. That is a great song.

Oh yeah, the point...

I was born in the wrong part of the wrong century for any 19 year old to be interested in, except as a grandfather. :eek:

Not that there’s anything at all depressing about that. :(

Yes, the black leather Fillmore pictured in the thread above is mine. It’s a cool amp IMHO, and is different enough from my beloved PRS amps that there isn’t really an overlap. So I don’t feel guilty (much).

I was kind of going for a semi-vintage Hiwatt color scheme. Not my usual thing, but...

I usually do match head and cab, but black leather kind of goes with anything. I’m still thinking hardwood, like mahogany or blackwood. I figure it’d be just fine.

I LOVE the Barcelona Red Croc! I almost ordered it that way! Which grille material did you get? I think pics are needed.

Mine was supposed to have a black leather ‘grille’ instead of a woven grille material, but when it came I liked it with the black woven grille, so I decided not to return it.

Finally got some pics uploaded... I know, slacker. I recently ordered the bottom 1x12 Fillmore cab to match it. Should get it around Christmas. This has the stock Celestion Custom 90 in it and so does the bottom cab. It's very punchy and articulate, very different sound for every guitar I plug in, but that is a good thing.

Last edited:
Back