Do Cute Amps Matter?

Of course cute amps matter... I love my Zinky Blue Velvet.. it's nice and plush looking and sounding.

IMG_2218.JPG
Cool as f!

I priced out the company that made it. I think it would be about PS cost. Not a cheap deal! But oh so nice.

I'd seen really well made Guitar cabinet(s) in Carter's Vintage in Nashville, not cheap, but Beautiful...
and to answer the question, a resounding YES!!! I needed a seafoam Dr Z head, even before I knew which model it was, as long as it wasn't a model already in the room.
And Les, I proudly call my man-cave "Radon Studios"...My wife hates it, and I'm a bit of a hoarder (she hates that, too!!!).

IMHO, pretty is as pretty does. Most of my gear is utilitarian, but I have picked up a couple of pretty amps & cabs along the way. They inspire me in different ways, sort of like Ginger & MaryAnn. YMMV...

Which model Louis Electric amp is that? And, are they are great as they say?

Also- Ginger! :D

In my own defense, however, things have changed an awful lot since I got into the studio business. Back in 1990, when I started putting together a serious enough studio to compete in the world of ad music, I had 5 racks of hardware processors, analog synths, a big analog mixing console, two analog tape machines (multitrack and mastering deck) synchronized to an analog 3/4” U-Matic video deck via hardware synchronizers (no one even knows what those are any more), and all those oodles of things looked mighty impressive. Who needed decor?

Now, my music world is “in the box.” Everything cool in my studio except my amps is invisible. It’s freakin’ software. It shows up on a screen.

Today I treated my studio to a lovely set of orchestral samples from the Berlin Strings. Gorgeous sounding stuff.

Can’t see it when you come into the studio. You know, that kind of sucks. They should let you download a certificate in addition to the samples. The certificate should say, “If you know what this doofus spent on invisible orchestral samples, you wouldn’t think his studio was quite so craptastic.”

But they don’t do that. So today’s studio rat needs amps. And lamps. I’ve become something of a studio interior decorator for want of something interesting for clients to look at when they stop over.

I could add that it needs tramps, but that’s such a dated expression. ;)

In my own defense, however, things have changed an awful lot since I got into the studio business. Back in 1990, when I started putting together a serious enough studio to compete in the world of ad music, I had 5 racks of hardware processors, analog synths, a big analog mixing console, two analog tape machines (multitrack and mastering deck) synchronized to an analog 3/4” U-Matic video deck via hardware synchronizers (no one even knows what those are any more), and all those oodles of things looked mighty impressive. Who needed decor?

Now, my music world is “in the box.” Everything cool in my studio except my amps is invisible. It’s freakin’ software. It shows up on a screen.

Today I treated my studio to a lovely set of orchestral samples from the Berlin Strings. Gorgeous sounding stuff.

Can’t see it when you come into the studio. You know, that kind of sucks. They should let you download a certificate in addition to the samples. The certificate should say, “If you know what this doofus spent on invisible orchestral samples, you wouldn’t think his studio was quite so craptastic.”

But they don’t do that. So today’s studio rat needs amps. And lamps. I’ve become something of a studio interior decorator for want of something interesting for clients to look at when they stop over.

I could add that it needs tramps, but that’s such a dated expression. ;)
How about they send you a beautiful ornate wooden plaque (no not your teeth). That would (wood?) look cool!

Back