Do Cute Amps Matter?

I finally ordered a cab for my Fillmore, but it’s kind of weird, because I ordered the California Tweed 2x12 in black with a black grille. I really wanted some alnico speakers, and already have a set of the C90 Black Shadows in my Lone Star, anyway. So there you have it.

I’m a little odd. But I kinda wanted to bring out the Fender Tweed quality in the amp.
You know, I think you’ll be happy with the Alnicos. It’ll make you think differently about any amp you push thru it. C90s are great...got two in one of my vert 2x12s and it does the rock thing extremely well. The other has ET65/Vet30 combo from WGS and it does the vintage thing pretty well, but I don’t have any Jensen/Alnico speakers in service (I have one without a cab which needs to be rectified), and I get the feeling we approach cabs in a similar way. The more options, the better...especially with an AC30-like amp in the corral.

@Les - I finally got my bottom cab... almost 3 months to the day again. It definitely makes the amp sound bigger and spreads the sound out with more mids and low end. Also ordered some Studio Slips padded covers for them for transport to gigs. I know, I know... they should never leave the house

261-A0568-6303-4738-B3-C4-FE3-C713-ADA6-C.jpg

43-F92972-A97-D-4301-AC07-551-EE7-D57719.jpg

737-B21-E0-41-DC-4009-BDB9-65-B280511704.jpg
DTR Approved!

I finally ordered a cab for my Fillmore, but it’s kind of weird, because I ordered the California Tweed 2x12 in black with a black grille. I really wanted some alnico speakers, and already have a set of the C90 Black Shadows in my Lone Star, anyway. So there you have it.

I’m a little odd. But I kinda wanted to bring out the Fender Tweed quality in the amp.
Have you decided which Alnico speakers you are going to get?

Let me know how that head sounds with those speakers... I'm always interested in better sounds :D

Let me know how that head sounds with those speakers... I'm always interested in better sounds :D

I’m sure it won’t be better, just different.

I only did it because I have the C90 Black Shadows in the Lone Star already. I figured this way, I’ll have some choices, not only for the Fillmore, but for my other amps, too.

I’m sure it won’t be better, just different.

I only did it because I have the C90 Black Shadows in the Lone Star already. I figured this way, I’ll have some choices, not only for the Fillmore, but for my other amps, too.
My guess would be that the DG would LOVE some Alnico speakers.

I guess I have the luxury of having a :shop" to futz around in. And maybe too much time on my hands.....I have had the chance to "experiment" with different woods and designs in cabinets. My favorites TEND to be in the realm of the Forte 3D cabs, or variations of the "Thiele" type. (For my purposes, oversized cabs like 4 x 12s make no sense).

I have made variations using 10s and 12s, in a few cases 15" speakers. (For the latter, a replica of a 60s era Showman "Tone Ring" cabinet")
I am NOT going to say that fancy tropical hardwoods make a superior tone cabinet. (I am also not going to say that it HURTS). I DO like cabinets that reflect craftsmanship and good looks. But my personal tastes run towards using pine as the primary "tonewood" but reinforcing the softer and lighter wood with hardwood trim/edges for strength.
Guess what? I have ended up with more cabinets taking up space than any same person might ever need. But it is fun....
I think I can dig up a few pix......

I know I have some more "extreme designs" around, but apparently not in my "photo sharing" service.

Last edited:
I guess I have the luxury of having a :shop" to futz around in. And maybe too much time on my hands.....I have had the chance to "experiment" with different woods and designs in cabinets. My favorites TEND to be in the realm of the Forte 3D cabs, or variations of the "Thiele" type. (For my purposes, oversized cabs like 4 x 12s make no sense).

I have made variations using 10s and 12s, in a few cases 15" speakers. (For the latter, a replica of a 60s era Showman "Tone Ring" cabinet")
I am NOT going to say that fancy tropical hardwoods make a superior tone cabinet. (I am also not going to say that it HURTS). I DO like cabinets that reflect craftsmanship and good looks. But my personal tastes run towards using pine as the primary "tonewood" but reinforcing the softer and lighter wood with hardwood trim/edges for strength.
Guess what? I have ended up with more cabinets taking up space than any same person might ever need. But it is fun....

I know I have some more "extreme designs" around, but apparently not in my "photo sharing" service.
I’m really digging those! You ship up north? ;)

Dude, those are DOPE!

Man, those are too cool!

I’m really digging those! You ship up north? ;)
Hey Paul.....I appreciate the vote of confidence. This is something I more or less do for my own amusement. By the time I do my "one offs" there is a large amount of labor involved. To try to do it for sale, then add packing and shipping, would make it either a guaranteed loss or too expensive for most people to justify. I mean look what replica Forte cabinet are from a few builders, even without speakers.....And, with the "right" speakers, add weight and expense. My favorite 2 x 12 Forte has $600 in speakers alone. And shipping a 100 lb or so beast.....Fuhgetaboutit!
I like to use a "Plug and Play" plate on my 2 bys to allow it to be used as a 2 by in either 4 or 16 ohm mode, or as a stereo mode with both in 8 ohm.
That said, I have a bunch of stuff around here cluttering up the place. If you ever get a few hours south, we could talk......Let alone share some time with a bunch of "fairly nice" guitars.
Meanwhile, let me try to add a few more of my favorites.....Yes, sometimes, I go the tolex route too.....But it is a pain in the ass.
You can probably see the time consuming part, esp if you are doing the whole Forte thing with internal weight relief routing on the sides and back. Or "stylized" Thiele....In this example, I scaled it down to work with a 10" Weber speaker, but added wings so it would be wide enough to use with a head.
BTW, one of those super mini cabs with a single (100 watt) 8" speaker and a Quilter head kept up quite nicely with a full Orange half stack at one local jam.
Anyway, enjoy the pix. And if you DO get down this way.......
IMG_1807 by DJANGO 49, on Flickr
IMG_2270 (2) by DJANGO 49, on Flickr
IMG_1684 by DJANGO 49, on Flickr
IMG_1839 by DJANGO 49, on Flickr
IMG_1801 by DJANGO 49, on Flickr
IMG_1764 by DJANGO 49, on Flickr
IMG_1849 by DJANGO 49, on Flickr

Hey Paul.....I appreciate the vote of confidence. This is something I more or less do for my own amusement. By the time I do my "one offs" there is a large amount of labor involved. To try to do it for sale, then add packing and shipping, would make it either a guaranteed loss or too expensive for most people to justify. I mean look what replica Forte cabinet are from a few builders, even without speakers.....And, with the "right" speakers, add weight and expense. My favorite 2 x 12 Forte has $600 in speakers alone. And shipping a 100 lb or so beast.....Fuhgetaboutit!
I like to use a "Plug and Play" plate on my 2 bys to allow it to be used as a 2 by in either 4 or 16 ohm mode, or as a stereo mode with both in 8 ohm.
That said, I have a bunch of stuff around here cluttering up the place. If you ever get a few hours south, we could talk......Let alone share some time with a bunch of "fairly nice" guitars.
Meanwhile, let me try to add a few more of my favorites.....Yes, sometimes, I go the tolex route too.....But it is a pain in the ass.
You can probably see the time consuming part, esp if you are doing the whole Forte thing with internal weight relief routing on the sides and back. Or "stylized" Thiele....In this example, I scaled it down to work with a 10" Weber speaker, but added wings so it would be wide enough to use with a head.
BTW, one of those super mini cabs with a single (100 watt) 8" speaker and a Quilter head kept up quite nicely with a full Orange half stack at one local jam.

Damn, dude, that’s some fine work!

Those are gorgeous! Always wanted to try a Thiele style cab with my Kemper (or any ‘real’ amp head). Course I would need to add a Power amp again...

I’ll take you up on your generous invitation one of these days to visit you when my condition improves - making some progress but the pacing is still mind numbingly slow...

Those are gorgeous! Always wanted to try a Thiele style cab with my Kemper (or any ‘real’ amp head). Course I would need to add a Power amp again...

I’ll take you up on your generous invitation one of these days to visit you when my condition improves - making some progress but the pacing is still mind numbingly slow...
The nice thing about the Forte is that it ( a 1 x 12) sounds like it is 3 feet tall and 5 feet wide. Put a Forte (with Alnico Cream) atop a Thiele (with EVM 12l) and you get all the "thump" and wide angle dispersion you could ever hope for.

Wow! Very cool stuff there Django!

I have. Thiele and a ZBest, but I’ve always wanted to try a Forte’ cab.

Of course cute amps matter... I love my Zinky Blue Velvet.. it's nice and plush looking and sounding.

IMG_2218.JPG

Great amp, and excellent amp designer/builder, too! Bet it sounds great in combination with the guitar in the pic!

Reactions: Jo-
Back