Do all 10 tops have a mark on the back of the headstock?

skeet music

I bought a new 2012 PRS from a major online retailer. I won't mention the name so as to not plague them with bad search results if this is just a big misunderstanding. In the description of the guitar that I actually purchased, they mentioned that the guitar has a 10 top and matching back.

However, a buddy pointed out that there is no "10" on the back of my headstock, and that the official tag that came in the case does not mention that the guitar has a 10 top.

Did I get hosed here??

Last edited:
Many non-10 tops look as good or even better than some 10-tops IMO, but I'm fairly certain any true 10-top will be marked...

It should unless it has an artist package? Do you have pics?

Many non-10 tops look as good or even better than some 10-tops IMO, but I'm fairly certain any true 10-top will be marked...

The top and back are positively stunning, it looks like it should be in a museum. But I'm just feeling a little misled considering that the description was the only thing I had to go on.

It should unless it has an artist package
Yup, this bears repeating. And if it is an Artist Package is would state that on the hang tag. AP's are presumed to have 10+ tops, but if it's a standard edition and does not have the requisite '10' on the headstock than it isn't a 10 top, and was misrepresented by the dealer. Also keep in mind that 10 tops are priced accordingly, and you may have paid a premium for a non-existent feature. Doesn't mean that it isn't a killer top though.....

Last edited:
That's what I was afraid of :(
Hey, it actually may be a good deal for you......It sounds like you may be due a partial refund from the dealer, assuming of course that it was priced as a 10 top to begin with. So you'll end up with a guitar with a killer top/back that you love, for even less money! All good.

Hey, it actually may be a good deal for you......It sounds like you may be due a partial refund from the dealer, assuming of course that it was priced as a 10 top to begin with. So you'll end up with a guitar with a killer top/back that you love, for even less money! All good.

Thanks for the positive perspective. They're closed today but I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can straighten things out.

You can pull the pickups and take a look there.

bridge.jpg

Wouldn't this designation also be in the Modcat code?

Thanks for this. I knew nothing about modcat codes until I looked it up. This guitar is an "H2M2F-" and the dash signifies a non-ten top.

Somebody's got some 'splainin to do >: (

Sounds like you're due a difference refund (if you paid a premium) but it's possible they may say the price was right and the listing was wrong, and your only choice is a complete refund. Something you'll need to prepare yourself for.

FYI - a "10" in the pickup cavity doesn't necessarily mean it's a 10-top, it means it has/had potential to be a 10, and if it doesn't make the grade after sanding or whatever, they wouldn't mark the headstock as well.

On late model guitars, the MODCAT tells all...

Also, I recall that the 513 BRWs from 04-06 were all 10s but not marked as such.

Back