DIY gear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Egads, Jan 24, 2013.

1. frankb56

frankb56 New Member

My only attempt at DIY was a complete a disaster. It started when I when I wanted to change the cheap Chinese jack installed on a cheap Epiphone Dot because it had shorted out. First, problem, working with a hollow body is a *****. To make matters worst I decided to replace the pickups, volume and tone pots--two each-- and rewire everything. Soldering ground wires on the back of the volume pots turned into one of the most aggravating things I ever did in my life (and believe my wife keeps me busy). Why can't they include a loop specifically for grounding on these things? To this day after spending more on parts than the damn guitar is worth it makes a nice wall deco. I will never attempt to do that to one of my better guitars. About the only thing I will do is polish them and adjust the truss rods. Kudos to all of you who know what your doing. I'm really impressed.

2. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

Redoing pickups and electronics on a 335 style guitar as your first DIY guitar work is a little bit like appearing on the Iron Chef when you've never cooked anything in your life.

I did that once to a Korean Epi Sheraton, along with upgrading the hardware, and created a pretty phenomenal player. But it took me an entire day to do without any interruptions. A normal pickup swap or something might take me 20-30 minutes tops, while drinking.

3. frankb56

frankb56 New Member

Impressed that it only took you a day to work on your Epi.... I gave up after about 5 days of work. Any clues on how to get the ground wires to stick to the volume pots?