DIY gear?

Egads

One, Two, THIRTEEN!
We've talk about tweaks and mods to our beloved gear. What about complete DIY builds? Let's show some pics of everything from changed knobs and tuners to custom built guitars, amps, cabs, effects, pedal boards, etc.

I've swapped pickups, tuners, knobs, pickguards (I finally got that rosewood pickguard for my Mira!), and I just recently built a sapele 1x12 convertible cab. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Whaddya got?

The one on the left I built up with parts from USA Custom Guitars. I designed it to bridge the gap between my HBII and my other Strats. 25" scale neck, semi-hollow, HB in the bridge. I did the neck finish with wipe-on poly.

The one in the middle is a Fender on its fourth pickguard, third set of pickups, and has had two other necks on it though it's back to the original.

The one on the right is gone now, but a luthier put it together for me. I did the neck finish. It had a gorgeous flame so I used amber dye and sprayed it with nitro. It popped like a PRS maple top. I gotta find pics of that neck...

07e5051b.jpg

The SE Soapbar II, did tuners, rewire, TonePros. It's now its third set of pickups, and still not quite right. :( Left the nut to a pro.

soap3.jpg

My biggest DIY to date is my green Tele style, which has been my Number One since putting it together over a year and a half ago.

From concept:

LGBCustomTeleMock-up.png

To a pile of parts:

IMG_20110514_140120.jpg
IMG_20110610_173710.jpg

To finished product:

IMG_20110611_142217.jpg

I did all the assembly, except I left the nut and final setup to a pro. Neck and body were pre-finished, but I did the decals for the headstock. The neck was done in satin nitro, so I sprayed a dozen coats of gloss clear on the front of the headstock and buffed it out for a nice shine.

More pics of that one through the process here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v686/lgbclp/Custom Tele/ The wiring is a little different now and I swapped the neck pickup for a Strat pup. Need to get some more pics. The nitro is aging nicely as well.

My other Tele has been through many iterations and wiring schemes. It has been the target of many experiments.

Last edited:
Cool stuff. I love the semi-hollow Strat and the forearm cut on the Tele. I've got a kit Tele that needs some modifications to get it together (which is why it's still sitting in a corner) and am planning the next cab (1x15 in a bubinga convertible cab).

I think I still have my Powell Peralta and my original Tony Hawk boards in my parents' attic. Hook me up?

I think I still have my Powell Peralta and my original Tony Hawk boards in my parents' attic. Hook me up?

Oh I am a huge Hawk fan and among the fifty or so decks i have stashed have maybe seven of the Claw decks........I would love to see what you have stashed, and what I could pry out of your hands...... :)

Most are a different version of crackwood at this point. :bawling:

Here's a couple shots of my cab build:
2012-12-17_16-28-10_638_zpsdf1884df.jpg

2012-12-17_16-28-42_96_zpsf91194c3.jpg

I've re=covered my amp and an old Orange cab. The amp was quite easy, the cab was a nightmare.....
Before
Orange1.jpg

Orange4.jpg

Orange3.jpg

After.....
DSC01065.jpg

DSC01064.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

CornfordOrange4-1.jpg

CornfordOrange7-1.jpg

Aeetus, you did a phenomenal job recovering that cab! I know how hard it is to get a result like that - I never could.

Aeetus, you did a phenomenal job recovering that cab! I know how hard it is to get a result like that - I never could.

Thanks bud but I'm sure you could. It just takes a little planning, patience and confidence. The Orange cab was a little more tricky than say a Marshall because the stringing goes around the body. I'm happy with the result and thinking about doing one of my combos in the spring.

Carpincowboy - that guitar is looking good, more pics required.

Aeetus. I dont have any more pics as when i was building it i never thought about taking photos. Dont know why. If i ever build another i will keep the camera handy.

I went through a dozen parts guitars before buying a PRS. I only have one parts guitar left. Originally designed in 2002 as an answer to many of the things I struggled with during a 7 year period with one guitar, a MIJ Jazzmaster. It went through a few changes, but this is the current setup:

Warmoth body, one piece swamp ash.
USACG neck, maple on maple, 25" conversion with .86 U carve and tele style headstock.
Fralin hum canceling P-90 for Jazzmaster wound with 42 gauge wire.
NOS 1960s Fender white witch hat knobs.
Hipshot ultralight open gear tuners.

IMG_3117.jpg

Really well done Aeetus. That can looked like it had been BBQ'd.

Thanks, yeah it did look a little worse for wear! Lol

Nice job!!! Looks stunning. Which Cornford head?

Cheers, it's an early MK50H black chassis... it's a real beast of an amp!

Wow, Aeetus! That's great. Very well done.

Many thanks, even now when I look at it when we are gigging it makes me smile.... when I hit the first big chord I've been known to literally Lol.

Back