DIY convert PRS SE tuners to locking tuners

ThePod

I decided to take a shot at converting my standard locking pegs on my PRS SE to locking style tuners.

I picked these up from ebay. They are M3 x 0.5 screws, which I believe are the same thread as the PRS locking screws. They were $8 for 10.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/111825508215

Picked up the necessary tap and drill. $4 for the tap and $3 for the drill.

Next step: I removed all the tuners from my guitar and mounted them on a flat scrap piece of wood. A 3/8 inch drill worked perfect for the mounting hole.

I used a hand file to level the top of the tuning peg.

Then used a center punch to mark the drill spot.

Carefully drilled out the pilot hole. A drill press is really a must here.

Drilled down. Used WD-40 as lube. I eventually figured out that I needed to drill about 12mm to allow the tap to fully cut the threads. So I made a little test probe.

I mounted the tap into a vice. I kept the tuning peg mounted to my scrap wood piece. Used a little WD-40 while cutting the threads.

Because of the screws that I bought, I had to cut out a little recess for the base of the screw shaft.

Repeat x 6 and remount.
Tested them out and they seem to work great! I do think the knobs are a little big but I'm ok with that for right now. I like that they are chrome/silver. I can always source some cheap smaller headed ones if I want. The ones from PRS are like $22 for 6.

This project does require a little machine work skill and a drill press. The first peg took me about an hour. After I figured it out the process, I wrapped up the last 5 also in about an hour. A good cheap upgrade and beats paying $50-100 for locking tuners, or sending them in to get converted. Total cost $16 and two hours of my time. Honestly the cost of upgrading to a set of locking tuners isn't really that much, I just wanted to see if I could do it and make 'em work. Cheers

Nicely done!!! I believe that the bigger thumb screws would be easier to tighten / untighten by hand.

I think they are going to work out well. I'm working on sourcing some black ones for a different guitar right now!

Wow, those look fantastic! You might be able to make some $$$ on the side doing that.

That's really cool! I wish I had the skills to do that. You know you can get low profile metric thumbscrews, right?. You might have to cut your own slots in them though.

That's really cool! I wish I had the skills to do that. You know you can get low profile metric thumbscrews, right?. You might have to cut your own slots in them though.

I've looked on ebay, amazon etc. There were a few others that I liked. I think the ones I used are a little big, but good enough for now. If you find a link for a nice looking low profile screw, send it my way!

Last edited:
Impressed that you even thought to do it and flawless execution, very well done!
Thank you. After a day of playing they seem to be working well. I can't take credit for the idea, as I do believe this is the way that mannmade.com modifies the SE tuners if you send them in to him.

Last edited:
Back