Display Case experience for UV sensitive finishes

InTooDeep

Out Lobstering...
Anyone use the acrylic display cases on Amazon or similar to display a guitar that is subject to fading?
I have a 96 That was purple and is now closer to red. I love how it looks, who knows how it will look in the future if it stays out of the case.
Thinking of something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013XSVOT...olid=3OV5JUPGHC197&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This is a bad pic, but you can see the original color under the pickup rings
2yj47xu.jpg

And how it looks in general
2CIZFBy.jpg

or this depending on lighting
f5XhvEd.jpg

Thanks! I play it fairly often, I just don't want the case laying around all the time haha

That guitar is beautiful. I know it’s faded and I’m a big purple fan, but come on who couldn’t like how it’s evolved?

OK someone who wanted it to stay purple.

Hope you manage to find your answer. Sorry I’ve got nothing.

Beautiful guitar!

I keep mine cased, but that's just my thing. There are any number of display cases available that claim UV protection. However, there is one thing to keep in mind: UV isn't the only thing that can fade an organic finish like most of PRS' stains. Photosensitivity exists to some degree in any light, though it's often to a lesser degree. What happens is that photons activate the stuff that makes guitar stains fade, regardless of whether they're UV photons.

Stains are also absorbed by the wood and its chemical makeup to a degree.

I doubt there's a foolproof way to prevent some fading, but the best way is certainly a case, or even a cloth draped over the guitar. I realize this is a PITA for lots of folks, and I get it. On the other hand, blocking light prevents (or at least greatly reduces) fading. Just my two cents.

Back