Disappointment

Prs2studio

There is a post here in the forum regarding the ice bucket challenge that John Mayer did and 2 comments on it. I hate seeing that post get buried and thinking about some of the childish posts here that tend to blow up with attention. There are so many people pouring water or ice water on their head and thinking they did something special to raise awareness for ALS but if this is any indication it isn't helping any at all. It's a shame knowing that Jason Becker has been fighting so hard and his attitude is so amazing yet we can't all donate just 5 or 10 dollars to help research. It's this big craze to post on YouTube dumping ice water yet ask these people about ALS I bet the vast majority know nothing about it. I'm sorry I just needed to vent a little and I apologize for the ill spelling and grammar mistakes.

http://time.com/3173833/als-ice-bucket-challenge-fundraising-total/

The funds have come from 1.7 million donors

The ALS Association has raised $79.7 million to combat Lou Gehrig’s Disease since July 29, as the Ice Bucket Challenge continues to encourage people around the world to dump ice over their heads and send in money.

The organization raised just $2.5 million during the same period last year.

The ALS Association, which raised $64 million in all of 2013, has described the influx in funds as “a game changer” for the organization’s efforts.

If there is a down side, many other charities are claiming lower than normal contributions because ALS has received such tremendous support. Looking at the big picture: If people are reaching out to help those in need, everyone wins!

Good point as well. Another unfortunate thing is that, given a fundraising increase from 2.5M to 79.7M year over year, I would be almost certain that there is no infrastructure in place at this point to appropriately utilize these funds to further ALS research. I also don't think this will drive researchers to ALS, as I would expect the fundraising to return closer to normal next year.

Whenever I see celebrities going bonkers over something like this, obviously helping a very worthy cause, but also obviously attempting to raise their own public awareness, it turns me off a bit. Because of this, I have not participated, but have given extra to the charities I normally support during this time period.

Whatever works!
Kevin

There are so many people pouring water or ice water on their head and thinking they did something special to raise awareness for ALS but if this is any indication it isn't helping any at all.

I watched a tearful video, last evening, from a man who suffers from ALS. So does his Mother. He disagrees with you.

In his opinion, anything that puts ALS on the radar is a benefit. Right now there are thousands of people learning what ALS is for the first time. "Raising awareness" is valuable.

And the 23+ million dollars generated by the viral nature of the challenge (because many who dump ice on their head donate too) has been nothing short of a blessing.

For your consideration (jump to 1:59):

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I was wrong but did I deserve an attitude from a couple of you. This forum is a nice place to gain info but a few people are rude

Guess I was wrong but did I deserve an attitude from a couple of you. This forum is a nice place to gain info but a few people are rude

Well, let me just assume that you're talking about me, because reading over this whole thread of yours I can't find anything approaching "attitude" besides my single post and every single one of yours.

You're trying to shame people into checking out your John Mayer thread and say that some people post "childish" threads that attract more attention. How is this post any more childish than Sharknado or any of the swill I start?

You've gotten more replies on this, that could've been over on your other thread, if you would've bumped that one instead of starting this one, and are now you trying to make this about how you're being mistreated and how some people are rude here.

The whole point of the ice bucket challenge is to raise awareness for ALS in a fun and engaging way for people that would otherwise overlook it. Re-read your first post and see if the way you worded it could've come out in a more positive way that would've gotten more traffic for a very worthy cause and tell me who is rude.

In the end, it's all love, man... I can understand that you're passionate about Jason as I am, but I believe the rules are that you can only call somebody out after you dump a bucket of water over your head.

Well, let me just assume that you're talking about me, because reading over this whole thread of yours I can't find anything approaching "attitude" besides my single post and every single one of yours.

You're trying to shame people into checking out your John Mayer thread and say that some people post "childish" threads that attract more attention. How is this post any more childish than Sharknado or any of the swill I start?

You've gotten more replies on this, that could've been over on your other thread, if you would've bumped that one instead of starting this one, and are now you trying to make this about how you're being mistreated and how some people are rude here.

The whole point of the ice bucket challenge is to raise awareness for ALS in a fun and engaging way for people that would otherwise overlook it. Re-read your first post and see if the way you worded it could've come out in a more positive way that would've gotten more traffic for a very worthy cause and tell me who is rude.

In the end, it's all love, man... I can understand that you're passionate about Jason as I am, but I believe the rules are that you can only call somebody out after you dump a bucket of water over your head.

First of all the original post regarding John doing the ice bucket challenge wasn't posted by me. It had 2 comments on it one from Shawn @ PRS and one from me.
Second you seem to think you are the end all be all here in this forum with not only me but just about everyone else.

First of all the original post regarding John doing the ice bucket challenge wasn't posted by me. It had 2 comments on it one from Shawn @ PRS and one from me.
Second you seem to think you are the end all be all here in this forum with not only me but just about everyone else.

Well, alright... I didn't check to see that it was your post and I apologize for that. I'll also apologize for any harm I've caused you or anybody else for my occasional flippant and sarcastic behavior, but I assure you I don't think I'm the end all be all of anything, let alone this forum. I only post here, try to have a good time, and create content.

I'm sorry. Feel free to use the ignore function on me and we can agree on not being buddies.

Sergio, you are fine and dandy in my book, and I appreciate all of your threads, and the fact you have helped out numerous members here.

Unfortunately: Many of those folks on facebook will not donate. These folks are typically easy spot.

Fortunately: Many of those folks on facebook did donate. Most of those do not ask, nor require anyone to pat them on the back. Although, most do not wish to be told they need to give their money away to the "Cause of the Day"

Unfortunately: Many whom lobby for the "Cause of the Day", want someone else to pay for it

Fortunately: Somebody raised a hell of a lot of "Research" money

You know, he was also the first one to offer you words of encouragement a few months back when you came here feeling pretty down.

but I assure you I don't think I'm the end all be all of anything, let alone this forum.

You better be the end all pal, or else the shrine I'm building in the yard will seem pretty stupid. Though if I put a hat and sunglasses on the idol I could say it's Lestaban. Hmmm, that might work.

Prs2studio, Don't take any of this too seriously. Sometimes it takes something as silly as dumping ice water on someones head to educate the public.

Come to think of it the ice water challenge for ALS awareness may even get more people to see 'Jason Becker:Not Dead Yet' and get to know his story.
<font color="#545454"><span style="font-family: arial">

You better be the end all pal, or else the shrine I'm building in the yard will seem pretty stupid. Though if I put a hat and sunglasses on the idol I could say it's Lestaban. Hmmm, that might work.

Prs2studio, Don't take any of this too seriously. Sometimes it takes something as silly as dumping ice water on someones head to educate the public.

Come to think of it the ice water challenge for ALS awareness may even get more people to see 'Jason Becker:Not Dead Yet' and get to know his story.
<font color="#545454"><span style="font-family: arial">
I actually tried to go the website for it today and there was too much traffic...exceeded bandwidth...so it's making people seek out info at the very least.

One thread that does not get a desired amount of attention does not a failure make.

I'm thinking this guy probably thinks this trend, silly as it may be, has been a good thing.

And that's 'silly' in a fun way. I don't care what the percentage of bucket dumpers actually donating is, they've raised a ton of money. The outcome is positive.

And Sergio, much as I love ya, you better watch your back. If rugerpc finds out you think you're the be-all and end-all of the forum, he's going to come looking for you!

Back