Disappointing Quality SE CU22 Semi-Hollow

Hmmmm. You lost me at ‘camo goes with anything & everything’. Lol. Have you ever tried rocking camo with shapes, stripes, sparkles, and/or other fabulous designs?
:eek: It’s a tragedy.

Huh. I thought the camo would just blend in...

I just noticed that GPS lives in Indianapolis. That’s a stone’s throw from me, literally.

Reactions: GPS
Apologize for the hijack, but thought you'd like to see this...

Gte6NB3.jpg

That pot looks cross threaded. That's not OK.

I had a camo SE, had trouble getting the tones I wanted out of it, did better with other early SEs. I wanted it to work. I have two seasons, hunting and guitar. The crossover was nice...

Well if anyone is interested in an update. PRS sent me a shipping label to return my CU22. The shop I bought it through is going to refund me.

I’m also buying a B-Stock 2017 Korean model that has the hardtail, toggle switch, and is the same grey black color. I’m really excited to get this taken care of.

The shop and PRS have been great to work with. This guitar was an unfortunate experience, but I’m not holding it against PRS or the shop.

I’ll post pics once the new CU22 Semi Hollow arrives!

Well if anyone is interested in an update. PRS sent me a shipping label to return my CU22. The shop I bought it through is going to refund me.

I’m also buying a B-Stock 2017 Korean model that has the hardtail, toggle switch, and is the same grey black color. I’m really excited to get this taken care of.

The shop and PRS have been great to work with. This guitar was an unfortunate experience, but I’m not holding it against PRS or the shop.

I’ll post pics once the new CU22 Semi Hollow arrives!

My son has a Korean semi hardtail CU22 in the Orangish flame and it is a great guitar.

Well I received my 2017 Custom 22 Semi Hollow the other day. I did not have an opportunity to play it until last night. It needs a slight change in setup, but that is to be expected. It is perfect. I couldn't be happier. The quality is outstanding as I expected. The Indonesian 2018 didn’t hold a candle to this guitar. She looks and plays beautifully. Here are some pics!

PRS Custom 22 and Standard 22 by Greg Sheets, on Flickr

It is also interesting to see the color differences in the gig bags over the years. 2005 on the left and 2017 on the right.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I just bought a brand new SE CU22 Semi-Hollow is Grey Black. First of all, I will say that the tone is great, and it plays like I would expect it to. Also the finish with the maple top is beautiful. No problems there.

I have a 2005 SE Standard 22 that had been a great guitar for the past 13 years. I was really excited to get this new Semi-Hollow to see how much better it would be, and to see how far the SE line had come. This Semi-Hollow is the most expensive guitar I have purchased.

PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow by Greg Sheets, on Flickr

I am disappointed in the quality. It seems like a lot of the attention to detail from my old SE was overlooked. This guitar was built in Indonesia as opposed to my old Korean SE. The first thing I noticed was the volume knob. It was rubbing the finish on the guitar and appeared to be installed lopsided. Upon further investigation, the volume pot itself isn’t straight!

The other issue I see is on the fretboard. There are multiple locations on the frets that glue leaked out. It isn’t a big problem, but I didn’t have this with my much less expensive older SE.

I don’t want to complain, and I understand I might be nit picking, but in comparison to my old SE, I am disappointed. I was expecting this thing to be nearly perfect considering the reviews I’ve watched, price, and quality of the older line.

Has anyone else with a new Indonesian SE CU noticed stuff like this? Is it just mine?

Return it. No excuse for any of those problems.

Back