Disappointing Quality SE CU22 Semi-Hollow

Actually, if it’s insured for full value, that’s not unreasonable for shipping. I’ve bought and flipped somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 PRSi over the years. I sent one UPS to Georgia for $65 dollars. It disappeared in the UPS building in Georgia. 3 months later it turned up in Kansas minus all packing materials and damaged. I got paid sale value 8 months later, and got the carcass repaired by Chris Bavaria and Philtone music. Cost me the insurance value to the penny.

Those frets with the glue are disappointing for sure. I heard that the SE line was made in Indonesia now so I was quite surprised and pleased when my 2018 CU 24SE Floyd Rose was still made in Korea. Having said that, my old Squier Vintage Modified Strat was built in Indonesia and far exceeded my expectations.

Those frets with the glue are disappointing for sure. I heard that the SE line was made in Indonesia now so I was quite surprised and pleased when my 2018 CU 24SE Floyd Rose was still made in Korea. Having said that, my old Squier Vintage Modified Strat was built in Indonesia and far exceeded my expectations.

I have noticed that not all of them are Indonesia as well. This guitar has unfortunately put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth for Indonesian guitars. I think the Semi Hollow Baritone is manufactured in Korea still. That might be my only other SE Semi-Hollow option. I am not a huge fan of single cuts but I don't know where the Zach Myers signature is manufactured anyway.

Hopefully they will replace my CU22 Semi Hollow with a new one and it will be up to spec. I really do like this guitar.

I have noticed that not all of them are Indonesia as well. This guitar has unfortunately put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth for Indonesian guitars. I think the Semi Hollow Baritone is manufactured in Korea still. That might be my only other SE Semi-Hollow option. I am not a huge fan of single cuts but I don't know where the Zach Myers signature is manufactured anyway.

Hopefully they will replace my CU22 Semi Hollow with a new one and it will be up to spec. I really do like this guitar.

I have a 16 Zach Myers and that was made in Korea. It has the older HFS type pickups rather than the new 86/15s ones the CU22/24 come with. I noticed that some of the photo's of Hollow CU22's in Sweetwater show their Vintage Burst being made in Korea.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SECU22SHVSV8--prs-se-custom-22-semi-hollow-vintage-sunburst. The serials suggest they are all 2017 models though.

I have a 16 Zach Myers and that was made in Korea. It has the older HFS type pickups rather than the new 86/15s ones the CU22/24 come with. I noticed that some of the photo's of Hollow CU22's in Sweetwater show their Vintage Burst being made in Korea.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SECU22SHVSV8--prs-se-custom-22-semi-hollow-vintage-sunburst. The serials suggest they are all 2017 models though.

Interesting, I thought the 2017 model year CU22 Semi Hollows were all hardtail. I would actually much prefer a hardtail version with the toggle instead of the blade switch.

Me too... in fact, Mrs. Bebop absolutely LOVES all things camo. When I showed her this thread, it was game on. I found what looked like a good deal on one on reverb and it was 'click-buy', Merry Xmas honey! ;)
Should be here by the end of the week... :D

I almost bought that one!

But then I thought, ‘but what would I wear with it?’

I ended up with an easier to coordinate outfits with Hamer...

Well... it’s not a ‘great’ Hamer, lol. I’m tiptoeing into the land of P90s... it’s baby step #1.
No, no, no...You've to P90's all wrong. You gotta jump straight into the deep end. It's not the guitar where you need to learn about P90s, it's the amp. P90's are very reactive to amp settings. Start with the volume pot on about 3 and the amp on the dirt channel with moderate gain and volume. It will start out sounding clean because you are cutting the signal from the P90. Then slowly play and crank up the volume knob on the guitar and listen to the amp come alive. Listen to what is there that is missing in bukers. Then crank the gain on the amp and listen to how angry the signal can be. That's the magic of P90's.

No, no, no...You've to P90's all wrong. You gotta jump straight into the deep end. It's not the guitar where you need to learn about P90s, it's the amp. P90's are very reactive to amp settings. Start with the volume pot on about 3 and the amp on the dirt channel with moderate gain and volume. It will start out sounding clean because you are cutting the signal from the P90. Then slowly play and crank up the volume knob on the guitar and listen to the amp come alive. Listen to what is there that is missing in bukers. Then crank the gain on the amp and listen to how angry the signal can be. That's the magic of P90's.

But I don’t have a good tube amp with me. I need tubes for the magic, right?

:(

All I’ve got is a little portable modeling amp.

Well I guess it depends on the quality of the modeling amp. The new one on my friends computer is as articulate as any tube amp. I'm old school and need to warm them up, but the modelers impress me.

Ooh - it's not the Cheryl Tiegs modeling amp is it? I wanted one of those when I was younger!

AP515 is right - it depends on the modeler. If it's responsive to the volume control on the guitar, you'll experience at least something of what he's talking about. P90s are sweet. I have two guitars with them, and I rarely play them. When I do, my first thought is, "why don't I play this more?".

I almost bought that one!

But then I thought, ‘but what would I wear with it?’

I ended up with an easier to coordinate outfits with Hamer...

1] Camo goes with anything & everything. Except plaid... that just doesn't work... :confused:
2] Near the very top of Mrs. Bebop's favorite guitar list are s couple of beautiful budget Hamer's. One with buckers and one with P90's.
I'm a huge fan of P90's... spend the time to get to know them and learn their magic tricks. There is a lot of variety between different ones though... they are not all created equal.
The P90 Hamer we have sounds fabulous though!

If it was me, and that's all there is, I would

(1) Chip off the excess glue myself, and
(2) Go back to where you got it, show them the bent pot stem, ask them to order a new pot, and then, when it comes in, have them install it while you wait

This way, you keep on playing it.

But that's me. Electric Guitars are wooden, chiefly hand-crafted instruments, and are prone to some minor flaws. When you get one that sounds good and plays good, hang on to it for dear life! There are plenty that don't.

I see what you did...throwing gas on the open flame. :p

P-90 lovers are very passionate about these pickups, as you can tell. There are tons of makers and options today, finally, but it wasn’t always that way. I’ll skip to the chase and admit...the P-90 is arguably the best pickup on the planet. Yeah, I said it. But for me, the single most amazing one is in my ‘56 Junior and cannot find a suitable duplicate. No other version sounds like this one. No other sounds as good as this one, either. Plug this into a seriously pushed amp and you want to guzzle 2 beers, jump out on stage, and melt people’s faces off with a Mountain cover.

1] Camo goes with anything & everything. Except plaid... that just doesn't work... :confused:
2] Near the very top of Mrs. Bebop's favorite guitar list are s couple of beautiful budget Hamer's. One with buckers and one with P90's.
I'm a huge fan of P90's... spend the time to get to know them and learn their magic tricks. There is a lot of variety between different ones though... they are not all created equal.
The P90 Hamer we have sounds fabulous though!

Hmmmm. You lost me at ‘camo goes with anything & everything’. Lol. Have you ever tried rocking camo with shapes, stripes, sparkles, and/or other fabulous designs?
:eek: It’s a tragedy.

I’m digging the P90s. I ended up with a used import Special K. Its Indonesian made Korina body with ebony board. Very decent for the price. It sounds okay with my little practice amp.... I wish I could hear it through a Twin.

I like that gnarly aggressive raw pissed off sound.

Back