Disappointing Quality SE CU22 Semi-Hollow

GPS

Hello everyone,

I just bought a brand new SE CU22 Semi-Hollow is Grey Black. First of all, I will say that the tone is great, and it plays like I would expect it to. Also the finish with the maple top is beautiful. No problems there.

I have a 2005 SE Standard 22 that had been a great guitar for the past 13 years. I was really excited to get this new Semi-Hollow to see how much better it would be, and to see how far the SE line had come. This Semi-Hollow is the most expensive guitar I have purchased.

PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow by Greg Sheets, on Flickr

I am disappointed in the quality. It seems like a lot of the attention to detail from my old SE was overlooked. This guitar was built in Indonesia as opposed to my old Korean SE. The first thing I noticed was the volume knob. It was rubbing the finish on the guitar and appeared to be installed lopsided. Upon further investigation, the volume pot itself isn’t straight!

The other issue I see is on the fretboard. There are multiple locations on the frets that glue leaked out. It isn’t a big problem, but I didn’t have this with my much less expensive older SE.

I don’t want to complain, and I understand I might be nit picking, but in comparison to my old SE, I am disappointed. I was expecting this thing to be nearly perfect considering the reviews I’ve watched, price, and quality of the older line.

Has anyone else with a new Indonesian SE CU noticed stuff like this? Is it just mine?

Last edited:
In order for them to show up, you have to go to Share on your pics and then copy/paste the BB Code

Code:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2cEAKHN][img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4834/45725424724_b603a38dde_c.jpg[/img]PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/113523765@N05/]Greg Sheets[/url], on Flickr

Take it back and maybe let customer service know about it. I’m sure they don’t want this particular guitar representing the PRS name to the world.

I personally love my old SE. In fact, it still feels and plays better than any of the newer SEs that I have played. In fact, it plays better than my S2, which is why the S2 ‘went away’. I don’t know if the quality of materials have changed or if the QC has changed... but I love those old SE guitars.

Take it back and maybe let customer service know about it. I’m sure they don’t want this particular guitar representing the PRS name to the world.

I personally love my old SE. In fact, it still feels and plays better than any of the newer SEs that I have played. In fact, it plays better than my S2, which is why the S2 ‘went away’. I don’t know if the quality of materials have changed or if the QC has changed... but I love those old SE guitars.

I'm working with the store I bought it from now.

I love my old SE. I have never had a problem with it. It feels solid and has sounded/played amazingly for the past 13 years. I'll never get rid of it.

The dealer shouldn’t let that stuff get thru. Granted, it shouldn’t have come from the factory like that and shouldn’t have passed thru PRS like that, as well. Stuff happens and is a way for the dealer’s customer service to shine.

The dealer shouldn’t let that stuff get thru. Granted, it shouldn’t have come from the factory like that and shouldn’t have passed thru PRS like that, as well. Stuff happens and is a way for the dealer’s customer service to shine.

I completely agree. The dealer has been very helpful so far. I’m pretty happy with their service.

Eh, dunno, so far to me the Cor-Tek stuff has been underwhelming versus the WMI SEs.

Yup. I find that the Cor-Tek stuff is great, sounds good, looks good, is value for money... it’s only when I go get my old WMI stuff, hold it, play it, inspect it, remember how much less expensive it was, then look at them side by side, that I go: o_O

Yup. I find that the Cor-Tek stuff is great, sounds good, looks good, is value for money... it’s only when I go get my old WMI stuff, hold it, play it, inspect it, remember how much less expensive it was, then look at them side by side, that I go: o_O

That’s what was surprising to me. My old Standard 22 is solid. I didn’t realize how nice it was until I put it next to the CU22.

Back