Disappointing First PRS SE Standard 24 Experience

Should I have to pay shipping to return the guitar to PRS?

• Total voters

Digitalien1

I just bought my first PRS SE Standard guitar. I was very happy with the guitar when I left the store (Sam Ash, Hollywood). I didn't really examine it closely in the store. When I did so at home, I noticed the tremolo bridge wasn't installed properly. The store had the screws tightened so that the bridge couldn't be moved down. I thought that would be a simple adjustment I could do at home. (The store wouldn't perform an initial setup on the guitar as they said they were backed up 2 weeks.) At home, I installed the tremolo bar and could immediately tell something was wrong. The bridge was not moving freely. When I took the back plate off and examined the bridge, I noticed that the routing hole wasn't in the right place and the bridge rubbed up against the body every time it was moved. I was so disappointed. When I reinstalled the cover plate I noticed the string holes weren't even aligned with the hole in the cover plate. The high E string hole in the bridge is 1/2 covered by the cover plate. I'm so disappointed now. The bridge needs to be removed and the hole re-routed and enlarged to allow the bridge to move freely. I started wonder if this was why I was sold a 2008 model (SN# IC05324) when I thought I was being sold a 2017 model. Is the bridge ruined from being improperly installed after 10 years? I also noticed the nut was too short and I can feel the sharp indentations on the neck where the nut should be. The fret ends feel rough up and down the neck too. The push-pull tone pot is loose internally and the knob wiggles back and forth. I like the guitar and don't want to exchange it but I can't help but to wonder if this guitar just has too many problems. I emailed customer service at PRS and they want me to pay to ship it to them ($100) so they can look at it. Seems like the best thing I can do is just return it to the store for a refund.

Why is this even a question in your mind? Return it while you can

I'm not buying this thread.

Yeah. This is a really strange set of circumstances. If everything OP is saying is true, returning it is an absolute no-brainer.

Seeing is believing for me. Would love to see some pictures of the guitar.

SE models are checked at the MD factory. I suspect a used guitar that the previous owner screwed up, and Sam Ash decided to sell as NOS. No way does an SE arrive at a dealer in bad shape. Return it.

Back