Disappointing Blues Jam

Brad737

This space for rent...
I played out a bit in college, and sparingly a few times over the years. But with 3 kids, and a real job, I really haven't played out in years. So anyway, I found an open blues jam nearby and decided to check it out. I must admit, it was quite a disappointment. I've been to some open jams in the past that were awesome...well run, great musicians, and lots of fun. Let's just say tonight was interesting.

Instead of holding folks to the 2 song standard, first outta the gate was a children's gospel group, who replaced the entire house band. They played 4 self-written hymns and were terrible. Their parents kept jumping to the mic to announce "None of them have been playing over 6 months!" The house band returned for one song (they were great BTW). Then, a bunch of morbidly obese senior citizens (I'm not making this up, and certainly not trying to be cruel) jumped in and melted my face off. A couple of them were quite good, but the trumpet player wrecked everything. He was actually pretty good, but he was playing FULL VOLUME. The band leader kept trying to motion to back off, but the oaf kept pointing the bell right at the bandleader, blowing like his life depended on it. Oh yeah, he blasted solos all over everybody else's solos.

I realize I'm a total hack. I simply don't have time to be in a band, but I just wanted to play with some good musicians, and learn a thing or two. As it turns out, I didn't even take my guitar out of the case. I know I sound like sour grapes, but is this pretty much how it is nowadays?

Last edited:
Brad, I think your real problem is the 3 kids and a real job thing. Blues jams have always been kind of hit-or-miss.

Fortunately, if you take my advice I can solve your dilemma. The first thing you should do is quit your real job. I mean, it's pointless, isn't it? Working away your life merely to put food on the table for the 3 children, put them through childhood, adolescence, and college, and then what do you get?

I'll tell you what you get. A hearty handshake and a bill for their weddings, and then they move in and never leave. You could wind up 80 years old and still supporting them, and never get to live your dream of playing in a band with good musicians.

No. This isn't the way to live. Here's what you do:

1. Quit your humdrum real job. I mean, just up and quit, and tell the boss what you really think on the way out the door!

2. Your first month at home should be spent practicing your tail off, loudly. After the first month's bills come in, your wife will start freaking out. That's OK. spend the next month at home practicing, too. In fact, invite some real musicians over to practice with you. Form a band, and have them stay at your place.

3. After about six months of this, I promise you that your troubles will be over. You will be served with divorce papers. Ignore them. Better yet, introduce your wife to a single doctor. This will ensure that she and your kids will be well-taken-care-of.

4. You and the band now have a practice and party venue! Don't worry! There will soon be enough gigs and a record deal, and your mortgage will be paid off!

5. Now that you're in the music business, you will be courted by all the guitar makers, and PRS will no doubt offer you an endorsement deal. Dude, free guitars for life! :top:

Now all you have to do is put your feet up, sit by the phone, and wait for the labels to call with better offers. Count your royalty earnings. Buy a Ferrari. You are made. Get some boots and sunglasses. Head to LA. Do whatever, man. Get tattoo sleeves. Find a nice girl with pierced everything and do not marry her.

Yes sir, follow this advice and you are made, my man, made. ;)

Last edited:
Where was this Brad? I know of one that's run by a friend but it usually takes place in some of the more shady parts of town so I've never been.

I would love to play with a band again, it's been a very long time for me.

You want 'Blues Jam' Hell?...try Austin, the 'Not Live Music Capital of the World'...every single guitar player tries to imitate 'you know who', that player who tuned to E Flat.

I used to frequent a couple of jams. I've had a few nights where it was just an awesome experience. I've had a couple where I wish I hadn't bothered to show up. And mixed in are a ton of mediocre to decent nights. A crapshoot for sure. Get back out there another time and it may be a completely different experience.

Most all of the jam sessions I have been to were horrible. I avoid them at all costs.

Just do like George Lynch and start shredding all over their nice little jam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad, I think your real problem is the 3 kids and a real job thing. Blues jams have always been kind of hit-or-miss.

Fortunately, if you take my advice I can solve your dilemma. The first thing you should do is quit your real job. I mean, it's pointless, isn't it? Working away your life merely to put food on the table for the 3 children, put them through childhood, adolescence, and college, and then what do you get?

I'll tell you what you get. A hearty handshake and a bill for their weddings, and then they move in and never leave. You could wind up 80 years old and still supporting them, and never get to live your dream of playing in a band with good musicians.

1. Quit your humdrum real job. I mean, just up and quit, and tell the boss what you really think on the way out the door!

2. Your first month at home should be spent practicing your tail off, loudly. After the first month's bills come in, your wife will start freaking out. That's OK. spend the next month at home practicing, too. In fact, invite some real musicians over to practice with you. Form a band, and have them stay at your place.

3. After about six months of this, I promise you that your troubles will be over. You will be served with divorce papers. Ignore them. Better yet, introduce your wife to a single doctor. This will ensure that she and your kids will be well-taken-care-of.

4. You and the band now have a practice and party venue! Don't worry! There will soon be enough gigs and a record deal, and your mortgage will be paid off!

5. Now that you're in the music business, you will be courted by all the guitar makers, and PRS will no doubt offer you an endorsement deal. Dude, free guitars for life! :top:

Now all you have to do is put your feet up, sit by the phone, and wait for the labels to call with better offers. Count your royalty earnings. Buy a Ferrari. You are made. Get some boots and sunglasses. Head to LA. Do whatever, man. Get tattoo sleeves. Find a nice girl with pierced everything and do not marry her.

Les

You always know what to say to make everyone feel better !

LMAO !

I know of a few weekly open jams that I've been Tempted to go check out, but I always get a picture of exactly what you just described, lol.

Just do like George Lynch and start shredding all over their nice little jam.

The look on Jr's face......I think this was his blues jam from hell..... I'm not 100% sure but I think George may have a tiny little problem playing with others....

Last edited by a moderator:
The look on Jr's face......I think this was his blues jam from hell..... I'm not 100% sure but I think George may have a tiny little problem playing with others....

What a Richard.

Let us not forget the ancient proverb of electric guitar: He who is loudest, wins.

Bluesjams are in 98% of times awful to listen to.I guess most realise how much hard work it takes being a bluesmusician.

EI played out a bit in college, and sparingly a few times over the years. But with 3 kids, and a real job, I really haven't played out in years. So anyway, I found an open blues jam nearby and decided to check it out. I must admit, it was quite a disappointment. I've been to some open jams in the past that were awesome...well run, great musicians, and lots of fun. Let's just say tonight was interesting.

Instead of holding folks to the 2 song standard, first outta the gate was a children's gospel group, who replaced the entire house band. They played 4 self-written hymns and were terrible. Their parents kept jumping to the mic to announce "None of them have been playing over 6 months!" The house band returned for one song (they were great BTW). Then, a bunch of morbidly obese senior citizens (I'm not making this up, and certainly not trying to be cruel) jumped in and melted my face off. A couple of them were quite good, but the trumpet player wrecked everything. He was actually pretty good, but he was playing FULL VOLUME. The band leader kept trying to motion to back off, but the oaf kept pointing the bell right at the bandleader, blowing like his life depended on it. Oh yeah, he blasted solos all over everybody else's solos.

I realize I'm a total hack. I simply don't have time to be in a band, but I just wanted to play with some good musicians, and learn a thing or two. As it turns out, I didn't even take my guitar out of the case. I know I sound like sour grapes, but is this pretty much how it is nowadays?

Thats how blues jams usually go. Did a few, not interested anymore. It was AWFUL. Went to a jazz jam in NYC one time. There were guys lined up in the freezing cold for over a BLOCK with their instruments to get up and play 2 tunes. Everyone of them was a killer. A few were 100% world class. This one piano player was totally off the charts. How can there be THAT many unreal players?????

Thanks for the great advice, Les! I mailed you a $10 check today as a retainer for legal services and career advice! :D

Hey Rik,
I was in Orlando for work, not Cincy.

Where was this Brad? I know of one that's run by a friend but it usually takes place in some of the more shady parts of town so I've never been.

I would love to play with a band again, it's been a very long time for me.

Thanks for the great advice, Les! I mailed you a $10 check today as a retainer for legal services and career advice! :D

Thanks man, but I will have to send the check back. I'm so busy these days with people clamoring for career advice that I just can't keep up with demand. ;)

Back