Disappointed!

Daveporter33765

Last week I purchased a Core Paul’s Guitar with a 10 Top via the web from one of the PRS authorized dealers. I chose the dealer because their web site stated that every guitar would receive a professional set-up by a highly qualified staff luthier prior to it’s being shipped. They also had a video on their site that featured their luthier and discussed all her experience and certifications. I expected that my new Paul’s Guitar would arrive with a great set-up.

Unfortunately when it arrived the set-up was not good, in fact, there was pronounced fret buzz on the low E, A and D strings. Otherwise the guitar was great.

The good news is that when I called the dealer to report the problem they told me to take the guitar to a local luthier and have a set-up done and they would reimburse me. The only problem with that is that the luthiers around here are all backed-up and my new guitar will be in the shop for 2 to 3 weeks.

I have never experienced this type of issue with a new PRS guitar previously...even a SE Paul’s Guitar I own as well.

Has anyone else run into a set-up issue with a new PRS guitar? I honestly thought this type of problem never happened with a PRS because of their superior quality control procedures.

Last week I purchased a Core Paul’s Guitar with a 10 Top via the web from one of the PRS authorized dealers. I chose the dealer because their web site stated that every guitar would receive a professional set-up by a highly qualified staff luthier prior to it’s being shipped. They also had a video on their site that featured their luthier and discussed all her experience and certifications. I expected that my new Paul’s Guitar would arrive with a great set-up.

Unfortunately when it arrived the set-up was not good, in fact, there was pronounced fret buzz on the low E, A and D strings. Otherwise the guitar was great.

The good news is that when I called the dealer to report the problem they told me to take the guitar to a local luthier and have a set-up done and they would reimburse me. The only problem with that is that the luthiers around here are all backed-up and my new guitar will be in the shop for 2 to 3 weeks.

I have never experienced this type of issue with a new PRS guitar previously...even a SE Paul’s Guitar I own as well.

Has anyone else run into a set-up issue with a new PRS guitar? I honestly thought this type of problem never happened with a PRS because of their superior quality control procedures.
Your dealer didn’t set it up well - what does the manufacturer have to do with it? The dealer buys the guitar from PRS and then are responsible for it.

Your situation is getting handled the right way. No need to come here and vent.

+1 for learning to do your own set ups. The dealer can’t take into account weather variations and whatever knocks the guitar takes during shipping. I think it’s really cool that they are going to reimburse you to get it set up, I think most dealers would tell you to pay up for a set up to your specifications.

I dont think Davepporter should be knocked here... this is an open forum. He bought a new PRS guitar, and ultimately felt a bit disappointed when he got it. We've all been there... you spend time thinking about what you want, research you you're blue in the face, pick one, hope the dealer is honest and good, get the guitar and something's not right. Cant help but be disappointed and this place is the perfect forum to share these experiences.

Good news Dave is that this can almost certainly be resolved at no expense to you. And the extra time is really just the result of the online guitar buying world we're all mostly in now.

By the way, who is the Dealer... because honestly this sounds like a great operator and I personally would consider doing business there.

Good luck and I'm sure this will work out well for you.

yes in terms of quality control, the PRS are personally the best that I have had in my hands, each stage of production is carried out in an exemplary manner.
I agree with what has been said above, a guitar leaving the factory is perfectly adjusted, the reputation of PRS is impeccable.
after that, a multitude of things can affect this ... is that your dealer missed some checkpoints, maybe, is transport there for something ...!? depending on the weather in your area, did you leave the guitar in its case for a few hours so as not to create a thermal shock !? in any case, be you wait for an adjustment which will be paid by your dealer, which is still good where even better learn to adjust your guitar, there are beautiful women on the internet but I noticed that there was also some guitar adjustment video! good luck !

I surly had no intention to knock the OP but I just don't think the builder/maker should have hair pulled for dealer's setup.

@WEDGE we all see the perfect setup different ways - recent 11Top's tread shows it clearly. What I see a perfect setup my jam mate see as to low. What he sees as perfect - I see as unplayable. Totally agree with learning your own setup ways

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...-to-make-your-electric-guitar-play-great.html

Can't recommend this book highly enough. It will walk you trough all things setup including truss rod adjustment, string against fretboard curvature, and more. Its often an eye opener

I dont think Davepporter should be knocked here... this is an open forum. He bought a new PRS guitar, and ultimately felt a bit disappointed when he got it. We've all been there... you spend time thinking about what you want, research you you're blue in the face, pick one, hope the dealer is honest and good, get the guitar and something's not right. Cant help but be disappointed and this place is the perfect forum to share these experiences.

Good news Dave is that this can almost certainly be resolved at no expense to you. And the extra time is really just the result of the online guitar buying world we're all mostly in now.

By the way, who is the Dealer... because honestly this sounds like a great operator and I personally would consider doing business there.

Good luck and I'm sure this will work out well for you.
it is true that some friends of the forum have been a little blunt but this is often done without bad intention, i think we all understand the situation!

I am not a newcomer to guitars or maintaining them. I began playing guitar in 1962 and have played professionally since I joined the AFM at the age of 13. I currently own more than 20 guitars manufactured by the likes of Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, Martin, and others. I only recently purchased my first PRS, the SE Paul’s Guitar I mentioned in my earlier post. That guitar was of extremely good quality given the price. It arrived in excellent condition and was very well set-up right out of the box. My experience with that guitar is what caused me to purchase the Core version of the Paul’s Guitar...which cost three times what the SE version did. I understand that many conditions can affect a guitar’s set-up requiring truss-rod adjustment and/or bridge adjustments. I was also aware of the need to allow the guitar to remain in its case for a day or two to become accumulated to the environmental conditions in my area; it sat in the studio for two days in its case before opening. I attempted to adjust the truss rod and bridge per PRS standard specifications but those adjustments did not correct the fret buzzing. I checked the fret level over the entire neck using the straight edge rocking method; the frets appear to be level and none appeared to be too high relative to the others. The string heights were checked and adjusted to PRS standards. The nut slots also appear to be cut properly. So I am at a lost to explain the fret buzz. That is why I asked if others have experienced out-of-the-box set-up issues. My experience with the SE guitar was great, this one not so much. I will take it to an expert luthier that I use to maintain all my guitars when it’s needed to see if he can determine what the problem is. Thank you to those of you that were kind enough to offer help and understanding.

Last edited:

Keith, I intentionally left the name of the dealer out of my post so as not to impact them unfairly. I was not able to correct the problem myself utilizing standard set-up procedures so the issue may not be related to anything the dealer did not do, or might have done incorrectly. There may be some kind of shipping damage not easily seen. In addition, the dealer has been great! They offered to pay for my luthier to check out the guitar without my asking. If you are able to send me a private message I would be happy to give you the dealer’s info, I will surely do business with them again.

hope everything works out for you.

I am not a newcomer to guitars or maintaining them. I began playing guitar in 1962 and have played professionally since I joined the AFM at the age of 13. I currently own more than 20 guitars manufactured by the likes of Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, Martin, and others. I only recently purchased my first PRS, the SE Paul’s Guitar I mentioned in my earlier post. That guitar was of extremely good quality given the price. It arrived in excellent condition and was very well set-up right out of the box. My experience with that guitar is what caused me to purchase the Core version of the Paul’s Guitar...which cost three times what the SE version did. I understand that many conditions can affect a guitar’s set-up requiring truss-rod adjustment and/or bridge adjustments. I was also aware of the need to allow the guitar to remain in its case for a day or two to become accumulated to the environmental conditions in my area; it sat in the studio for two days in its case before opening. I attempted to adjust the truss rod and bridge per PRS standard specifications but those adjustments did not correct the fret buzzing. I checked the fret level over the entire neck using the straight edge rocking method; the frets appear to be level and none appeared to be too high relative to the others. The string heights were checked and adjusted to PRS standards. The nut slots also appear to be cut properly. So I am at a lost to explain the fret buzz. That is why I asked if others have experienced out-of-the-box set-up issues. My experience with the SE guitar was great, this one not so much. I will take it to an expert luthier that I use to maintain all my guitars when it’s needed to see if he can determine what the problem is. Thank you to those of you that were kind enough to offer help and understanding.
i already had a similar problem on one of my guitars, and it was my neck that had a slight twist:eek:, as i had sent it to change the frets it fixed it at the same time, hope that didn't is not the same for you! personally I would go see the luthier and if by misfortune the problem is more important I would return the guitar for another. Give us the news on what the problem was!

i already had a similar problem on one of my guitars, and it was my neck that had a slight twist:eek:, as i had sent it to change the frets it fixed it at the same time, hope that didn't is not the same for you! personally I would go see the luthier and if by misfortune the problem is more important I would return the guitar for another. Give us the news on what the problem was!
Thank you Maxine. I have run into a twisted neck once before myself. I am hoping that isn’t the problem, the guitar is an amazingly beautiful looking and sounding guitar and would hate to have to return it. I will report what the cause of the problem is once my luthier has has a chance to work on the guitar. Have a great day tomorrow.

It's quite possible that it left the shop with a good setup, and traveling through cold weather or weather of varying temperatures caused it to "go out" of spec. It may just need a tiny truss rod adjustment, if everything is as you say.

It's quite possible that it left the shop with a good setup, and traveling through cold weather or weather of varying temperatures caused it to "go out" of spec. It may just need a tiny truss rod adjustment, if everything is as you say.
Thanks for your help Steve. Based on where the fret buzz is occurring, the first five frets, one would think that it could be that there in not sufficient neck relief. Unfortunately I have already completed a quick set-up but the fret buzz persists. Hopefully my luthier will find something I missed or some other minor, easily resolved issue, and the fret buzz can be easily fixed.

Back