Diminishing returns

Amen Les , coming from a classical background .. While a Private Stock will set you back 10K ,a good violin for a professional violinist may cost anything between $5,000 and $50,000 a good pernambuco bow will set you back a couple of grand.. When you get to the really good stuff ...it's in the 6-7 figure range. While I admire pretty instruments , and have a reputation for making them, first and foremost it has to do it's job well. How much we indulge in aesthetics is a highly subjective value proposition. For some a really stunning instrument inspires them , for others ...a stunning sounding /playing instrument that has magic is more priceless ..i.e. a '59 Strat or LP that's road worn . I took Wayne Carini's advice ( chasing classic cars) " it's fine to have a collectable, but you have to be able to enjoy it. "

Last edited:
Anything with Gibson on the headstock. They have done a great job over the years of proving to consumers that you are just paying for the name in most cases. Poorer quality and the company seems more concerned with the brand than quality and craftsmanship. I am a new member here having just purchased my first PRS. Its a 1997 CE 22 and I absolutely love it! It fits like a glove and is very well made.

Anything with Gibson on the headstock. They have done a great job over the years of proving to consumers that you are just paying for the name in most cases. Poorer quality and the company seems more concerned with the brand than quality and craftsmanship. I am a new member here having just purchased my first PRS. Its a 1997 CE 22 and I absolutely love it! It fits like a glove and is very well made.
Congrats on the 97 CE22. Fantastic guitars!

Amen Les , coming from a classical background .. a PS is about base price for a decent pro level violin , a good pernambuco bow will set you back a couple of grand.. When you get to the really good stuff ...it's in the 6-7 figure range. While I admire pretty instruments , and have a reputation for making them, first and foremost it has to do it's job well. How much we indulge in aesthetics is a highly subjective value proposition. For some a really stunning instrument inspires them , for others ...a stunning sounding /playing instrument that has magic is more priceless ..i.e. a '59 Strat or LP that's road worn . I took Wayne Carini's advice ( chasing classic cars) " it's fine to have a collectable, but you have to be able to enjoy it. "
Couldn't agree more.

As far as Gibson is concerned , they definetly went off the rails, but the new ownership is making decent guitars again. I picked up a 335 figured with the Memphis aged pickups and it is a sweetheart.
dzwbs8et8ubs18vkm5b5.jpg

For me, the answer is, if I can hear a difference and do something with it, it's worth considering. But there really aren't, and can't be, any rules until you know exactly what you're dealing with by playing the instrument.
My perspective is that when you feel yourself limited by your equipment then it's time to consider better stuff.

I'm a way better photographer than musician and when I made the transition to digital 20 years ago I felt limited by my initial high end consumer kit available, especially for field sports. I ended up getting pro equipment: Canon 1D bodies and lenses including a 400mm f2.8 lens, which are ubiquitous on NFL sidelines. The physics of the optics and high frame rates let me get shots that I couldn't get with the earlier stuff. A side benefit is that, at least until a couple of years ago, that setup has gotten me admission to sidelines and during my first shoot of a Pac-12 football game, I shot the first half before someone asked for my credentials and then got me a media jersey. The other good thing about camera equipment is that it's expensive but not outrageous. You can get the 'best in the world' Canon, Nikon or Sony super telephoto lens for less than a PRS private stock. And the bodies depreciate so rapidly that they can go for 1/10th the original price 5-7 years out.

Unfortunately, my ability's rarely limited by my guitars. But it's fun and even at my level there are songs/riffs that are easier and or sound better depending on the guitar - which is what Les said. And I have to admit, getting a mint S2 594 SC for $1195 was too good to overrule the GAS.

My perspective is that when you feel yourself limited by your equipment then it's time to consider better stuff.

I'm a way better photographer than musician and when I made the transition to digital 20 years ago I felt limited by my initial high end consumer kit available, especially for field sports. I ended up getting pro equipment: Canon 1D bodies and lenses including a 400mm f2.8 lens, which are ubiquitous on NFL sidelines. The physics of the optics and high frame rates let me get shots that I couldn't get with the earlier stuff. A side benefit is that, at least until a couple of years ago, that setup has gotten me admission to sidelines and during my first shoot of a Pac-12 football game, I shot the first half before someone asked for my credentials and then got me a media jersey. The other good thing about camera equipment is that it's expensive but not outrageous. You can get the 'best in the world' Canon, Nikon or Sony super telephoto lens for less than a PRS private stock. And the bodies depreciate so rapidly that they can go for 1/10th the original price 5-7 years out.

Unfortunately, my ability's rarely limited by my guitars. But it's fun and even at my level there are songs/riffs that are easier and or sound better depending on the guitar - which is what Les said. And I have to admit, getting a mint S2 594 SC for $1195 was too good to overrule the GAS.
It's always that way with great gear, right? If you can handle it, as with the camera and lens, you find yourself saying, "Aaaahhhhh - I get it now!"

I remember working with my first high end mic and mic preamp when I got into the ad music biz. Had a pro singer in who really knew what she was doing, and my immediate thought was, "Holy sh!t, I'm on another planet."

As far as Gibson is concerned , they definetly went off the rails, but the new ownership is making decent guitars again. I picked up a 335 figured with the Memphis aged pickups and it is a sweetheart.
dzwbs8et8ubs18vkm5b5.jpg
That is drop dead gorgeous.. Lucky for you it wasn't a PRS - it would have been twice the price.!!

Back