DiMarzio suggestions please

littlebadboy

I have a PRS S2 Standard 22. I love it! The orig pups are great! But, I want more angst.

I mostly play hard rock or metal. I like pronounced chugs or palm mutes and angry distortions. On the neck position, I like it to be bluesy but great cleans.

I was thinking of the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 SH-14 bridge and Jazz. But, I have never tried a DiMarzio yet. So, I thought of trying 'em. What's a DMarzio model that sounds like the seymour models mentioned above?

Thanks!

The Andy Timmons model is really interesting, to me. It has been in my Les Paul, CU24, RL Vela, FrankenStrat, and maybe a couple of other guitars, but it didn’t stay. My FrankenStrat is 100% ash, not alder like AT’s, and the pickup sounded very good, but I wasn’t keen on replacing the Texas Specials in it, so that was more of the influence than liking the AT. Putting it in a chunk of mahogany could be interesting, but I have no assurances that it will have the mid/mid-low frequency balance you seek. Just an idea.

Two others that are my favs...PAF Pro and the FRED...are not blisteringly hot, but may be worth a look.

I know you’re looking for DiMarzio, but look at the Suhr Doug Aldrich while you’re watching vids.

If you are looking to branch out, I have a Tom Anderson H2+ in a project guitar that has always sounded quite aggressive.

If you like I can put up a quick and dirty sound clip comparing it against one of these PRS pickups: RP, HFS, Dragon 2, 85/15, 57/08, 58/15

Unfortunately the project guitar is Swamp Ash / Goncalo Alves / Pau Ferro, whereas the PRS are Hog / Maple / Rosewood for the most part. So it won't be totally apples 2 apples.

It’s pretty hard to go wrong with a paf pro neck and a super distortion bridge. The super distortion is Similar to the Duncan custom.

For a bit more modern the air norton and tone zone are huge sounding.

I am currently looking at the Dominion bridge + Gravity Storm neck.

Too many choices makes it complicated.

+1 for the Tone Zone and Air Norton set...
I also like their split tone...

Any opposing comments?

I figured that they sound good here and read around that it is perfect for modelers because it gives you a clean and neutral sound as it is current driven compared to resistance driven others.

Also, these guys likes it...

I have to change directions and try the Lace Deathbucker.
I had "violent" opposition from another forum that is more metal based with regards to the Deathbucker...

I think I'll just go back to Seymour Duncans that I am more familiar with. I'm looking at the Custom 5 bridge and Jazz neck.

Thanks everyone! I ordered a DiMarzio's D Activator X set. We will also modify the electronics having series/parallel than coil splits.

Good old Super Distortions are fantastic, Tone Zone or Paul Gilbert Injector pups(AMAZING). I only use Dimarzio and do not like Duncan pups.

The Andy Timmons model is really interesting, to me. It has been in my Les Paul, CU24, RL Vela, FrankenStrat, and maybe a couple of other guitars, but it didn’t stay. My FrankenStrat is 100% ash, not alder like AT’s, and the pickup sounded very good, but I wasn’t keen on replacing the Texas Specials in it, so that was more of the influence than liking the AT. Putting it in a chunk of mahogany could be interesting, but I have no assurances that it will have the mid/mid-low frequency balance you seek. Just an idea.

Two others that are my favs...PAF Pro and the FRED...are not blisteringly hot, but may be worth a look.
I have the Timmons set in one of my MM Luke Guitars and it blows away the Bare Knuckle that I had before which were WAAAY overpriced.

Back