Dilemma: Anyone Else Saving Guitar/Amp Packing Materials?

I’m bad keeping manufacturer boxes for everything. Like I’ll actually get more for it or something. If anything it might make it sell a bit quicker, easier to safely pack stuff up, but kind of annoying to keep all that crap around. I only have maybe 2 guitar boxes and maybe 1 amp box. I got rid of some to clear space.

I keep my boxes since I tend to cycle through gear a bit too fast.
Couple weren't in good enough shape to be re-used so I had to find new boxes earlier this year.

The cheapest (and good) ones I found so far were "ULine 45x18x16 guitar boxes" at $8.55/box... Same W and H dimensions as PRS Core/Private Stock shipping boxes.
Problem is that once you add Uline's shipping cost they became not so interesting if ordering only a few.
That's when Reverb comes handy as those ones are exactly the same boxes but cheaper if ordering only 3-5 of them:
https://reverb.com/item/10463186-3-...moving-storage-mailing-heavy-duty-18-x-6-x-45

Worked great for me.
Thanks for that. I need to get off my lazy butt and sell a few guitars after New Years, and the only reason I didn’t do it months ago was that I didn’t have shipping boxes and the few places I found them were too expensive.

I’m bad keeping manufacturer boxes for everything. Like I’ll actually get more for it or something. If anything it might make it sell a bit quicker, easier to safely pack stuff up, but kind of annoying to keep all that crap around. I only have maybe 2 guitar boxes and maybe 1 amp box. I got rid of some to clear space.

Same here. I’ve started saying screw it - I’ve (gasp!) taken a bunch of my action figures out of the packaging and displayed them in my music area. I figured I bought them to enjoy them, not worry about getting top dollar for them. Plus, they were mostly clearance type things, so it’s not like they’ll appreciate. So I’m doing the appreciating.

I did for boxes that belong to some amps that I was sure I'd sell them in a period of one or two years - some sort of cheap practice amps like Fender Frontman and Boss Katana. With original boxes and manuals included, the amps can be sold faster than without.

However, when being strored, the boxes were folded flat to save my space.

Reverb sells guitar boxes in 3 packs for around $35. That said, I saved $35 this year with the guitar packaging I saved and shipped guitars in.

I keep a few empty guitar boxes around just in case I need some fort making material.
Because who am I kidding, I wont need them for selling any guitars. Well at least any of the PRS type.

I keep my boxes since I tend to cycle through gear a bit too fast.
Couple weren't in good enough shape to be re-used so I had to find new boxes earlier this year.

The cheapest (and good) ones I found so far were "ULine 45x18x16 guitar boxes" at $8.55/box... Same W and H dimensions as PRS Core/Private Stock shipping boxes.
Problem is that once you add Uline's shipping cost they became not so interesting if ordering only a few.
That's when Reverb comes handy as those ones are exactly the same boxes but cheaper if ordering only 3-5 of them:
https://reverb.com/item/10463186-3-...moving-storage-mailing-heavy-duty-18-x-6-x-45

Worked great for me.

Staples.com, the Office Supply chain has shipping cartons as well, though their search engine returns much more than you'd wish, which makes it slightly more difficult when researching specific size cartons. Staples usually has free shipping above $25 like amazon, so it's wise to bundle your carton purchase with a separate item to reach the $25 free shipping level.

Uline would be a good choice except for their shipping costs. Doesn't make any sense to spend $25 or more regards shipping when all you need are several cartons. Thx for the heads-up regards Reverb!

I keep amp head boxes and packing materials, and at least one guitar shipping box, both just in case something needs to be shipped to the manufacturer for service.

I'm done selling guitars and amps.

"That's what you said a year ago, and yet you traded in a perfectly nice 594 WL for a McCarty Trem WL this year."

"Never believe me when I say I'm done with anything. I'm not very consistent."

Naah.
The guitars I have now all seem to be keepers.
(Keyword in sentence is seem.)
There never were boxes anyway because I bought them all in person.
AFTER ACTUALLY PLAYING THEM.

Amplifiers...
No boxes there either.
Always bought the floor model,
You know, the one I actually tried out,
not "a new one from the stockroom".

WHY THE HELL WOULD I TRY OUT AN AMPLIFIER,
LIKE IT AND THEN TAKE HOME A DIFFERENT ONE
THAT I DIDN'T PLAY THROUGH ???

but...

I still have all the boxes that my many pedals came in
because except for a select few, pedals come and go.

Last edited:
Cortes burned his ships.

Still, I keep amp and guitar boxes. My wife is really getting on me to ditch them. I don’t think she realizes that she’s tacitly encouraging me to not sell gear!

I keep amp head boxes and packing materials, and at least one guitar shipping box, both just in case something needs to be shipped to the manufacturer for service.

I'm done selling guitars and amps.

"That's what you said a year ago, and yet you traded in a perfectly nice 594 WL for a McCarty Trem WL this year."

"Never believe me when I say I'm done with anything. I'm not very consistent."

Sounds like you need something of a higher order, Les.

Back