Dilemma: Anyone Else Saving Guitar/Amp Packing Materials?

watelessness

i used to save the corrigated boxes from guitars and amps because they were quite useful when i sold guitars and amps, and occaisionally for warranty or other PTC work.

i haven't sold anything the last couple of years because i believe i have all the guitars and amps i'll ever need. for reals. seriously. absolutely.

so i no longer need any boxes. then again i'm planning to move south in a couple of years so the packing will come in very handy.

but if got rid of the boxes i'd have room to store more gear now.

thoughts?

I have an assortment of guitar and amp boxes as well. I didn't use them for years, then I used one about a month ago. I'm keeping a few around. They come in handy. If you need the room to store more gear, put them in the attic.

I've got a bunch in my attic. I've sold a bunch of guitars the past ten years, and had to buy shipping boxes. It stunk. Now, I keep any original packaging I get just in case.

I usually like to keep guitar and amp packing cartons because who knows when it might be necessary to offload some gear? Better to save the original empty cartons with packing material than try to find the right size carton when needed. And yes, finding the right size carton at a reasonable price without needing to invest in 4 or more extras as a package deal is a PITA sometimes.

That being said, my gear and their cartons reside in 2 separate rooms. No issues with needing extra space for the cartons.

You might consider working for the post office and help them with their overstock dilemma. ;)

I hate shipping guitars, but I'm keeping my last box, just in case. I had one local pac n ship, a FedEx hub, and they wanted $75, just for the box. Freak that. And I would go USPS next time after i do my own packing. But like I said, I hate shipping guitars so I probably won't.

Send me a couple. I need to sell a few guitars to fund a new one, and don't have any guitar shipping boxes so I can't list them for sale except locally.

I have a couple of electric and a couple of acoustic boxes, currently with empty cases in them.

Just in case I ever sell something and need to ship. Though reality is I would probably use selling as an excuse for a vacation and just drop it/them off on the way.

Tonight will be dedicated to throwing out all the unnecessary packing materials. My buying and selling should be minimal for the forseeable future. Youse guys reminded me the apartment is getting cluttered.

I usually burn the boxes a week after I know I am keeping something. There is just not enough room in my house for my guitar stuff, my wife's stuff, my daughters stuff (even though she moved out) and my Mom's stuff. Now that my wife works from home, I lost my guitar space to her office space. and my daughter lost her bedroom to my guitar stuff. I suppose if I got rid of the piano that we never play, and the couch we never sit on (because its covered with boxes:confused:) I could rearrange again, but I still am not keeping boxes. If I sell or trade a guitar I'll factor in the cost of a new box into the sale price. Or I'll do a trade locally so shipping won't be needed.

Side Note: All that cardboard hanging around is a major fire hazard, and great place for mold to propagate once it becomes damp.

I keep maybe one or two guitar boxes and a little bubble wrap but, toss the rest.
You may save some money on packing materials but... an empty box is a waste of space IMO.
This^^^ I have a 8'X8' storage closet connected to the back of my apartment. I ditched 3 guitar boxes just a couple of weeks ago. I somehow ended up with more boxes than guitars. Apparently, I'm bad at math and I'm a hoarder...who knew?! I say get rid of them.

This^^^ I have a 8'X8' storage closet connected to the back of my apartment. I ditched 3 guitar boxes just a couple of weeks ago. I somehow ended up with more boxes than guitars. Apparently, I'm bad at math and I'm a hoarder...who knew?! I say get rid of them.

I’ve starting collecting the looks my wife gives me whenever someone mentions hoarding or having too much stuff. That way, she complains. I can offer to give those up. It’ll probably be worth the beating.

The space between my filing cabinet and back window is where I keep my guitar cartons (all 3 of them :rolleyes:). My HeadRush cartons I've stored in my dedicated storage space up on shelves.

I used to store my effects boxes in a plastic tote (no more since my effects sales). My acoustic OHSC and guitar gig bags are stored in a separate closet, along with additional packing carton material.

If I needed extra space, I'd simply flatten the cartons, opening both ends, and saving the packing material elsewhere. Being content with 3 guitars has been easier to cope with than trying to find storage space for additional guitars, cartons and packing material.

I keep my boxes since I tend to cycle through gear a bit too fast.
Couple weren't in good enough shape to be re-used so I had to find new boxes earlier this year.

The cheapest (and good) ones I found so far were "ULine 45x18x16 guitar boxes" at $8.55/box... Same W and H dimensions as PRS Core/Private Stock shipping boxes.
Problem is that once you add Uline's shipping cost they became not so interesting if ordering only a few.
That's when Reverb comes handy as those ones are exactly the same boxes but cheaper if ordering only 3-5 of them:
https://reverb.com/item/10463186-3-...moving-storage-mailing-heavy-duty-18-x-6-x-45

Worked great for me.

Back