Digitech or Boss, Go!

Buy a used Boss ME-50. Usable practical and if you have to be silly then it has that capability too. Wah/whammy expression, noise gate, compression don't even need an owners manual to figure it out. Tons for cheap.

I'm not really a multi-effects unit guy. Too many options make me lose interest. Of the multi-effect units that I have owned, I preferred the Boss units.

I was always a Boss guy back in the day (80s). I seem to remember turning my nose up at Digitech. I have no reason why I would have thought that way though.

I have a Digitech RP-7 that never gets used. Haven't even plugged it in in 4 or 5 years. I should see if my son wants it and get rid of it if he isn't interested.

I grew up with rack gear and multi effects processors. Digitech had some really great pieces that sounded great and were incredibly powerful especially considering their price point.

The GSP2101 was (and still is) an amazing guitar processor way ahead of its time. While difficult to program, the quality of effects, truly open architecture, and immense control over parameters had only started to become surpassed with the advent of the Axe FX. The best “heavy” tone I’ve ever achieved in life was with one of these. If anyone buys or has one, hit me up, I still have my settings saved in a spare manual.

Stomp boxes: Boss, hands down. Multi effects: Digitech FTW.

I have always been a fan of Boss. I just like the construction, user-friendliness, etc. that I didn't find in the Digitech. I am also a fan of really old Electro-Harmonix stuff.

So here is my take on this. I have used both Boss and Digitech pedals and multi's. Pedal to Pedal I prefer Boss, just better built boxes. But when it comes to Multi's, I believe DigiTech owns the tech side of market. Agreeably a multi pedal can be difficult to use if you are a technophobe or are looking for that plug and play ability of individual pedals. But, for me multi's and Digitechs just make more sense overall. Don't get me wrong, I like simple, Delay Chorus Distortion into an amp is just fine, but sometimes I want to play around to see how far down the tone hole I can take it.

I had a RP355 and BP255 digital processors in my rig awhile back, and that was all I ever used. Being a techy, and having played with computers since I was in Jr High, I could easily program these pedals from my tower computer. I would imagine, using the their software, I would have been able to set the pedals up to do a full gig without having to bounce between this distortion or that chorus depending on the song, just 1 2 3 4 through the set. with a laptop, I could go full portable, and make changes to a patch on the fly. A good portion of the effects models in the RP series multi's are actually based on Boss stomp boxes, so they know where to find the good tones. They also have a wide selection of amp and cabinet combinations (as does Boss) which is pretty cool if you can't afford to own all those amps and cabs. (no Archon's though :( ).

Another reason I like the multi's is the size. If I had a pedal board (and amps) as contained in the multi, I would need to put an addition on the house, and take out a second mortgage. So, they make economic sense as well. I realize the RP is not "pro" gear, but for a rank amateur like me, It makes me feel like a pro. ( I guess that's why they sell it to people like me.)

Last edited:
Back