Digging Into The Past

Tragedy has struck.
But...it clearly had no idea who it was dealing with. I once fixed a “Who’s Next” 8-track by feel alone (the story involves the back seat of a car, a battery-powered camping lantern, and the white-jean-clad thighs of a very attractive young woman).

Umm....

Not to criticize, but are you quite sure that fixing that tape cartridge was the best use of your time? Under those circumstances?

Well, under any circumstances? :rolleyes:

Tragedy has struck.

One of the hosts of my favorite podcast asked me to record a video of the Alive II tape playing. Apparently, 40-year-old technology can be a tad wonky. The program change splice tape had dried out, the tape split and it was eaten. Spectacularly.

But...it clearly had no idea who it was dealing with. I once fixed a “Who’s Next” 8-track by feel alone (the story involves the back seat of a car, a battery-powered camping lantern, and the white-jean-clad thighs of a very attractive young woman).

I had enough time, skill, and stupidity to pop the case open again, fix the splice, cut the tape to untangle and rewind it. A mere 45 minutes later, back in business, baby! Pictures this weekend...

You can't blame me for trying

Ok, I’ll fess up...I own 2 Kiss records, Destroyer (paid $.00045 since it was 1 of 22 albums I got from Columbia House for a penny), and the 45 of Doctor Love. Considering I paid less than $3 for my entire Kiss collection, I feel only a fraction of shame had I knowingly bought the 8 track for my car.

One of my bands ended up covering Dr. Love which landed us with a $50 tip from the crowd and lingerie flung onto stage. To date, the best ROI on a record purchase.

(In the spirit of full disclosure, Columbia House’s policy was to substitute out of stock promotional items as necessary, which resulted in an obscure Kansas album being replaced with Village People...a scarring event. Still better than substituting for another Kiss album. :p)

Back in 1978, The Village people were wondering who to choose to release their recordings. The pickings were slim back then
When Casablanca Records finally came to them with the best deal, the band was left wondering... wait for it...

"Why MCA?"

Shut up Dave!

I heard that Victor Willis was overruled on his cop outfit. Management ordered him to wear the black, and he was upset. One of the other guys asked, “Don’t you want to be in the black?” Willis allegedly replied, “No - In The Navy!”

Back in 1978, The Village people were wondering who to choose to release their recordings. The pickings were slim back then
When Casablanca Records finally came to them with the best deal, the band was left wondering... wait for it...

"Why MCA?"

Shut up Dave!

I heard that Victor Willis was overruled on his cop outfit. Management ordered him to wear the black, and he was upset. One of the other guys asked, “Don’t you want to be in the black?” Willis allegedly replied, “No - In The Navy!”

True mastery!

wanna buy some betamax videos?

Already have a box or two. What am I, an amateur?

It's been a while, but I used to search eBay for a decent Beta player so I could consider transferring some of the stuff. I have a bunch of stuff I taped or bought way back when that I'd love to see again.

I will have some follow-up 8-track pics coming - just need to have my wife help me dig out the boxes that were too deep for me to pull out at this time. Also found a couple cassettes in there that I didn't realize were boxed up. Including one I had no recollection of - I honestly don't remember these things being put out, but I have one.

Already have a box or two. What am I, an amateur?

It's been a while, but I used to search eBay for a decent Beta player so I could consider transferring some of the stuff. I have a bunch of stuff I taped or bought way back when that I'd love to see again.

I will have some follow-up 8-track pics coming - just need to have my wife help me dig out the boxes that were too deep for me to pull out at this time. Also found a couple cassettes in there that I didn't realize were boxed up. Including one I had no recollection of - I honestly don't remember these things being put out, but I have one.
Ok, no joke, I wish you'd said this a year ago. I had a high end Sony Betamax player/recorder and it worked perfectly, and about 100 tapes left over. My wife hounded me for years to get rid of them and last fall, we were cleaning out the spare bedroom and I tossed it all in the trash.

Ok, no joke, I wish you'd said this a year ago. I had a high end Sony Betamax player/recorder and it worked perfectly, and about 100 tapes left over. My wife hounded me for years to get rid of them and last fall, we were cleaning out the spare bedroom and I tossed it all in the trash.

No worries - this way, both our wives are happy!

I haven't looked for a player for probably 15 years. I'm only willing to go so far, and I'm most interested in the stuff I have that hasn't made it over to DVD. And frankly, I rarely have the motivation to copy stuff over to put on DVD. I have a bunch of cassettes to pop over to CD, which will be a pretty easy transfer, and I haven't done that, either (although I did buy a big memory card so I can dump a bunch of stuff at once). I have about 21 hours of Dr. Demento just raring to go!!!!

Back