Digging Into The Past

@Shawn@PRS earmuffs bro...

Very cool! I haven't seen one of those in years! Wow that brings back memories! Kiss Alive II Tour January 29, 1978, my very first concert, I was in 4th grade, just a few days after my 10th birthday! The only thing I would do differently....never go see them as a grown man, like I did in like 1996 when the original members reunited. Yep, it was ugly. It totally made me question everything everything I thought was "cool" in my life up to that moment...ya know, like when you find out your mom or dad was actually Santa Clause....I was devastated. Traumatised I tell ya! :confused:

@Shawn@PRS earmuffs bro...

Very cool! I haven't seen one of those in years! Wow that brings back memories! Kiss Alive II Tour January 29, 1978, my very first concert, I was in 4th grade, just a few days after my 10th birthday! The only thing I would do differently....never go see them as a grown man, like I did in like 1996 when the original members reunited. Yep, it was ugly. It totally made me question everything everything I thought was "cool" in my life up to that moment...ya know, like when you find out your mom or dad was actually Santa Clause....I was devastated. Traumatised I tell ya! :confused:

I had the opposite reaction. The Dynasty tour was my first rock show, and the spectacle blew me away. I went to the reunion tour in 1996 and was blown away all over again - it was my first time seeing them in the black and silver theme, and it was especially cool to me that it was the Love Gun outfits. I remember being somewhat mesmerized at how SILVER Ace's vest looked under the spotlights - I'd seen tons of pictures over the years, but live was a lot like seeing diamonds in a jewelers display case versus out in regular light. There was a sparkle that you just don't get elsewhere.

But, being older, there was a suspension of disbelief that wasn't there anymore. There's no way to ignore the personal drama and everything that has leaked out (and continues to come out) - I can push it back for a bit, but it's still there. I don't expect them to all be friends, but at least be decent to each other. And they just can't.

But like bodia, I will be there at some point on this tour. Oh yes, I will. I've even contemplated making a grand road trip to the final show, especially if it's an 'event'. I missed Rush's last tour (ironically enough because it was the week of Experience, so we were at the beach). I passed on a chance to see Kate Bush (I couldn't convince myself to take the money out of the guitar fund because I was thisclose to being able to order my PS). As of now, I'm missing Elton John's final tour. I won't be missing this one.

Should be titled “Long KISS goodbye”

Close.

Kiss-End-of-The-Road-Tour-ghostcultmag.jpg

I had the opposite reaction. The Dynasty tour was my first rock show, and the spectacle blew me away. I went to the reunion tour in 1996 and was blown away all over again - it was my first time seeing them in the black and silver theme, and it was especially cool to me that it was the Love Gun outfits. I remember being somewhat mesmerized at how SILVER Ace's vest looked under the spotlights - I'd seen tons of pictures over the years, but live was a lot like seeing diamonds in a jewelers display case versus out in regular light. There was a sparkle that you just don't get elsewhere.

But, being older, there was a suspension of disbelief that wasn't there anymore. There's no way to ignore the personal drama and everything that has leaked out (and continues to come out) - I can push it back for a bit, but it's still there. I don't expect them to all be friends, but at least be decent to each other. And they just can't.

But like bodia, I will be there at some point on this tour. Oh yes, I will. I've even contemplated making a grand road trip to the final show, especially if it's an 'event'. I missed Rush's last tour (ironically enough because it was the week of Experience, so we were at the beach). I passed on a chance to see Kate Bush (I couldn't convince myself to take the money out of the guitar fund because I was thisclose to being able to order my PS). As of now, I'm missing Elton John's final tour. I won't be missing this one.

In their defense...I was really high at the time...no not when I was 10...wait shouldn't that have made them "better" than the first time.I may have caught them on an off night? I dunno...I was really was really high..yeah I said that already didn't I ?

seeing that 8-track player brings back memories. I had an identical Realistic player.

When I first hooked it up, the first tape I put in was the volume one of Alive II. Sounded horrible, like the heads desperately needed cleaning. Pulled it, popped in volume two, and the sound was great. Looked at the first tape, and it looked like all the oxide had come off the tape. Ah well, it’s 40 years old. Took a second look - somehow the tape had gotten reversed so the oxide side was facing inward.

So tonight I took the tape apart to see if that was what happened, and sure enough. During the process, a whole lot of tape came off the spool. I spend about an hour rewinding it by hand, then had to cut and splice the tape because it had gotten tangled. There is a foam pad that helps hold the tape against the playback head - that disintegrated. But I got it all put back together, and it played just fine for the most part. Apparently this tape had been eaten in the past, so there are some bad spots.

When I first hooked it up, the first tape I put in was the volume one of Alive II. Sounded horrible, like the heads desperately needed cleaning. Pulled it, popped in volume two, and the sound was great. Looked at the first tape, and it looked like all the oxide had come off the tape. Ah well, it’s 40 years old. Took a second look - somehow the tape had gotten reversed so the oxide side was facing inward.

So tonight I took the tape apart to see if that was what happened, and sure enough. During the process, a whole lot of tape came off the spool. I spend about an hour rewinding it by hand, then had to cut and splice the tape because it had gotten tangled. There is a foam pad that helps hold the tape against the playback head - that disintegrated. But I got it all put back together, and it played just fine for the most part. Apparently this tape had been eaten in the past, so there are some bad spots.

Dang bro...you should be committed, seriously...oops, Freudian slip...I mean uh, Dyslexia, yeah that's it Dyslexia:confused:...what I meant to say was you are seriously committed to the preservation of that 8 track! Bravo! If I had a say in it... you would hold the rank of 5 Star General in the KISS Army...Yeah thats what I meant to say...:D

Dang bro...you should be committed, seriously...oops, Freudian slip...I mean uh, Dyslexia, yeah that's it Dyslexia:confused:...what I meant to say was you are seriously committed to the preservation of that 8 track! Bravo! If I had a say in it... you would hold the rank of 5 Star General in the KISS Army...Yeah thats what I meant to say...:D

Wait for it...I'm thinking about pulling out more of the 8-tracks this weekend for picture purposes...

Wait for it...I'm thinking about pulling out more of the 8-tracks this weekend for picture purposes...

Awww yeah! Let's see em!

I just now noticed the title of this thread...I freaked out :eek:...I thought the redhead finally figured out my password..whew! Man that scared me...I think I just peed a little:oops:

Tragedy has struck.

One of the hosts of my favorite podcast asked me to record a video of the Alive II tape playing. Apparently, 40-year-old technology can be a tad wonky. The program change splice tape had dried out, the tape split and it was eaten. Spectacularly.

But...it clearly had no idea who it was dealing with. I once fixed a “Who’s Next” 8-track by feel alone (the story involves the back seat of a car, a battery-powered camping lantern, and the white-jean-clad thighs of a very attractive young woman).

I had enough time, skill, and stupidity to pop the case open again, fix the splice, cut the tape to untangle and rewind it. A mere 45 minutes later, back in business, baby! Pictures this weekend...

Back