Diggin' my new SE...

Quick update. Still enjoying the Santana a lot. Two issues have cropped up. 1) the nut pinches on the d/g strings, which is common on the SE's (still not acceptable), and I'll likely replace it in the future. The tone pot has some scratchiness now too, didn't at first. So likely I'll probably have to replace that pot, and will likely change the volume pot too. Not huge issues really, but compared to my S2 and CE, these little details differentiate the different PRS levels.

Good news, is that overall it's still really good. I prefer the pickups of the 85/15 compared to the TCI, but they're still quite good on their own, no penalty here. And the ergonomics are still very PRS great, even on a Singlecut. 4.5 out of 5 overall.

Quick update. Still enjoying the Santana a lot. Two issues have cropped up. 1) the nut pinches on the d/g strings, which is common on the SE's (still not acceptable), and I'll likely replace it in the future. The tone pot has some scratchiness now too, didn't at first. So likely I'll probably have to replace that pot, and will likely change the volume pot too. Not huge issues really, but compared to my S2 and CE, these little details differentiate the different PRS levels.

Good news, is that overall it's still really good. I prefer the pickups of the 85/15 compared to the TCI, but they're still quite good on their own, no penalty here. And the ergonomics are still very PRS great, even on a Singlecut. 4.5 out of 5 overall.

It's like I keep saying, like a harbinger of nut doom, I do not like the SE nut material. I highly suggest a bone nut, that should get rid of the pinching. Interesting the pot got scratchy. My old '06 SE got scratchy pots but after about ten years. Btw, if you're gonna replace your pots, consider replacing the jack too while you're at it. A switchcraft jack is worth it.

Bit of an update. Haven’t replaced nut, I should. Just haven’t had the time, and local shop doesn’t allow many customers right now. Pots don’t seem scratchy now.

Anyway, these pickups are really good, I continue to be impressed. And i like them in all 3 positions. One issue that’s cropped up that’s starting to bother me more, and that’s the volume control placement. I don’t find it comfortable or convenient. It’s right in the way of the bar, and down too low. Not much I can do about it is there? It’s one of those things you don’t may much attention to initially but then it festers.

I could just use my volume pedal I guess. Not ready to sell or trade it yet but the thought is creeping into my head. I also wish it was just a little bit lighter but not a deal breaker.

This is so nice looking, I went SE 245 Standard instead this year. I don't regret my decision and will have one of these next year. I already have a "regular" SE Santana; my first turn on to 24.5 scale and blew me away.

Carlos likes his volumes where they can't be accidentally smacked. The placement is strange but you'll never hit the volume when doing windmills!

Give it time it's a sweet axe!

So I just told Sergio, but I found a solution for me, that will keep this guitar is my stable. I simply took off the tremolo bar, and found access to the volume control much better. I'd almost prefer the LP shape to have a stop tail anyway. Is there a replacement that converts? If not, I might just block the tremolo and leave it like that. I don't find I use the tremolo bar too much anyway, and tuning is actually better. Still need a better nut, one of these days I'll address that. Funny how such a simple (and free) fix can make a guitar much more enjoyable.

So I just told Sergio, but I found a solution for me, that will keep this guitar is my stable. I simply took off the tremolo bar, and found access to the volume control much better. I'd almost prefer the LP shape to have a stop tail anyway. Is there a replacement that converts? If not, I might just block the tremolo and leave it like that. I don't find I use the tremolo bar too much anyway, and tuning is actually better. Still need a better nut, one of these days I'll address that. Funny how such a simple (and free) fix can make a guitar much more enjoyable.
You'd have to block it.

You'd have to block it.

I could add a 5th spring to make it stiffer. Allparts has a device that goes where a spring is, and you can lock it down this way too, about $50. Seems like the extra spring might be sufficient for my needs.

I could add a 5th spring to make it stiffer. Allparts has a device that goes where a spring is, and you can lock it down this way too, about $50. Seems like the extra spring might be sufficient for my needs.

I'd add the spring and/or block it.

Reactions: IRG
My machinist buddy was going to make some brass shims to block the trem. We figured the brass was the best material. We measured the spacing and picked a nice block...smoked some ganj and spaced out the whole thing but still want to do that.

My machinist buddy was going to make some brass shims to block the trem. We figured the brass was the best material. We measured the spacing and picked a nice block...smoked some ganj and spaced out the whole thing but still want to do that.

hmmm. Does the material actually matter for this application? My local luthier said he could make something too, I’ll have to see what he was going to use, probably wood, but I’m not sure now.

I've been reading a lot lately on various forums about blocking trems or one way travel on floyds... I think you all have lost your mind! It can drive me crazy not having a trem on my guitar. Sure, I have them without, but I could never block a trem on a guitar... I don't neuter my dogs either. LOL

Joking aside If anyone ever wonders why there's so many guitars jump on a forum for a day..

Last edited:
I've been reading a lot lately on various forums about blocking trems or one way travel on floyds... I think you all have lost your mind! It can drive me crazy not having a trem on my guitar. Sure, I have them without, but I could never block a trem on a guitar... I don't neuter my dogs either. LOL

Joking aside If anyone ever wonders why there's so many guitars jump on a forum for a day..
The only reason I want(ed) to block the trem is I'm a stop tail guy. The main reason I haven't is the PRS trem have a much better tuning stability. If I want to down bend I use the Jake E Lee method. For some reason seeing people cringe makes me satisfied.

The only reason I want(ed) to block the trem is I'm a stop tail guy. The main reason I haven't is the PRS trem have a much better tuning stability. If I want to down bend I use the Jake E Lee method. For some reason seeing people cringe makes me satisfied.

I completely understand. I just happen to be on the otherside of that coin. I'm a trem guy. My girlfriend eventually cringes everytime I grab a floyd. So much fun though! As much fun as the floyd can be the PRS is probably my favorite everyday trem. Fantastic and so comfortable.

Hell, when I play it's enough to make people cringe. I don't need a gimmick!

Back