Differences between the Les Paul-style PRS guitars?

Guitar

I've been playing acoustic guitar for the past few years, but recently decided to try out electric. I was infatuated with Les Paul, but PRS was the only company who could make a visually appealing styled guitar that I would love to have. Now, the problem for me is that on the product website, there are quite a few choices for one:

SE-Standard 245
SE-245/Soapbar
SE-Bernie
S2-Singlecut
S2-Standard Singlecut
P245
and etc.

I know the price differences between them all, but the specs don't clear up anything for me. Any input on this would mean the world to me! Thanks.

Pretty much anything with "standard" in the title means it's made of all mahogany. All the rest of the guitars will have a maple cap. The "245" is a play on the scale length. All those models will have a scale length of 24.5" while the rest are 25". The P245 is a 24.5 single cut with a piezo bridge. Then lastly the core sc245 differentiates itself with the 2 piece bridge, which is absolutely fantastic.

I think that covers most of it.

Of the listed models, they're all 24.5" scale except the S2 models are 25".

The SE models use veneers to make the tops look nice.

They're all mahogany with maple top, except Standard is all mahogany.

Controls and neck shapes vary a bit between lines.

For choosing, I'd start with budget and then preferred scale length. There are also a bunch of discontinued versions that meet slightly different specs.

For closest to an LP probably SE245, Bernie, or the core SC245.

Of the listed models, they're all 24.5" scale except the S2 models are 25".

The SE models use veneers to make the tops look nice.

They're all mahogany with maple top, except Standard is all mahogany.

Controls and neck shapes vary a bit between lines.

For choosing, I'd start with budget and then preferred scale length. There are also a bunch of discontinued versions that meet slightly different specs.

For closest to an LP probably SE245, Bernie, or the core SC245.

What is your opinion on the S2 model's playability/versatility compared to the rest?

I'd really love one that had Humbucker sounds while also allowing for Single-coil sounds as well, but they're just so similar to each other.

Seriously, I have SE`s in many single cut models. I`m addicted. What sound are you looking for, or have you not gotten that far yet? The 24.5 scale length guitars are the closest to a Les Paul, if that`s what you`re after. The tremonti, or tremonti custom have the ``heaviest`` sound. The other thing is the neck size. I`d go for the most comfortable neck size first. It`s easy for any luthier to change the electronics to get you coil tapping for that single coil sound. I think they all sound great and can be modified to your taste.

Seriously, I have SE`s in many single cut models. I`m addicted. What sound are you looking for, or have you not gotten that far yet? The 24.5 scale length guitars are the closest to a Les Paul, if that`s what you`re after. The tremonti, or tremonti custom have the ``heaviest`` sound. The other thing is the neck size. I`d go for the most comfortable neck size first. It`s easy for any luthier to change the electronics to get you coil tapping for that single coil sound. I think they all sound great and can be modified to your taste.

Yeah, like I said in the post above I would love to play some rock tunes like Led Zep and GNR, but also be able to play some lighter tones such as Red Hot Chili Peppers and etc.. My taste is all over the place. 24.5 scale sounds good for me.

Last edited:
Les Paul vs. SE Bernie Marsden

I'm rather new to the "PRS Family", having just received my very first one yesterday but, I have owned a Les Paul for quite a while now, so I can speak to a few of the similarities and differences.

My PRS is the Bernie Marsden which, as most are aware, is based a lot on his '59 Les Paul "The Beast". Unable to actually play one due to not being near enough to a music shop, I had to rely on online reviews and videos of this model. I was not able to find a single bad review. In short, this guitar more than lives up to the hype.

Weight: There's a reason the Les Paul was nicknamed "the Log" in it's early inception. As any Les Paul owner will attest to, a genuine, solid (non weight relieved) Les Paul is rather heavy. The first thing that stunned me by the "Bernie" was how much lighter she was by comparison. I found the weight of her closer to that of my Stratocaster.

Feel: Right away the Bernie felt very comfortable in my hands, like an old friend. I had read where the neck was wide but, the neck width and girth feel almost identical to my Les Paul (SlimTaper "D" profile). Overall, the body of the Bernie is as wide/thick as the Les Paul, but does feature a "belly scarf" which does as to the comfort when playing.

Sound: The sound from various guitars will be subjective depending on various factors, such as pick ups, amps, strings, even ones fingers and playing styles. My Les Paul has Gibson '57's in her. These have been my most favored pick ups from my stable of guitars, I like the thick, fat, warm and crunchy tone I am able to coax out of them. I was immediately able to generate very similar tones form the stock Bernie Marsden pick ups. Not identical, mind you, but in the same ball park. Which to me is good. I was not looking for a clone of my Les Paul but, did want those types of bluesy, rock 'n' roll, hard rock tones and texture. This Bernie has that in spades. I have no intention of ever replacing nor "upgrading" the pick ups on this guitar. Even Bernie Marsden himself states that he actually prefers the stock pick ups on these models.

Construction/Build: My Les Paul is a beautiful creature. Solid as a rock, built like a tank. She is made of solid mahogany with a hand carved AAA flame maple cap and has a deep set neck joint. My Bernie has all of that, as well, only no AAA flame top, because I got her with the black finish. Having that sexy, glossy black finish, any flaw would show up under the lights...she is flawless! This is an incredibly well made guitar, all around! Though an import, I have a few other guitars which were made in Korea. I have come to learn that, when it comes to imports, Korea, more often than not, has very well crafted guitars.

That leads me to another observation on this guitar and it's co-creator: Mr. Bernie Marsden actually plays his own signature model guitar! That is actually a big deal, kids. Too many guitar heroes will have their names emblazoned on the headstock of a guitar, do a few photo shoots with it, then maybe (contractually) use it on a song or two in concert. Mr. Marsden plays his signature model quite often, even recording with it. That was, for me, one of the biggest selling points on this model.

A few parting points on this model I'll add. This model, as well as a few other PRS', has a "wrap around" bridge. This is very reminiscent of some early Les Paul models, as well as current ones like the Studios, Jr's, Double Cut Aways. It also features green "tulip" style tuners in the vein of Kluson tuners, also used on many Gibsons, even their higher end models.

Okay, perhaps I got a little longwinded with my second official post here at the sight. I'll retire to the back of the class now and get back to playing my guitar...

Very worthwhile comments. I find that I can get LP-like tones from my S2Singlecut Deluxe with just some tweaking of controls. The coil cut is the best I've ever had- it works and produces the bell-tone of a Tele or a Strat with very little volume loss. I have 4-5 LP replicas/clones in partial states of build and Chinese clones with all primo electricals and hardware-(2)- hate to tell my LP buddies, but they are killers. Both had extreme setups by me. have one long ago purchased true "BOB" replica kit but I'm not into counterfeiting. I have used it as my "standard" for my builds. Been too sick to go into my shop which is fully equipped for luthierie. It's darn near criminal for all of it to gather dust. Far better builder than player

Isn't a PRS normally a 25 inch scale length and aren't les pauls usually 24 3/4 inch scale length?
So wouldn't both, a 24 1/2 and 25 scale length guitar be just as close to a standard paul's scale length?

Isn't a PRS normally a 25 inch scale length and aren't les pauls usually 24 3/4 inch scale length?
So wouldn't both, a 24 1/2 and 25 scale length guitar be just as close to a standard paul's scale length?

The difference is that if you like the comfort of the scale length of the Les Paul, the even shorter scale length of the SC245 will be even more comfortable and easy to play.

This is just me playing devil's advocate. I currently own guitars in 24 3/4 (LP 7 string) 25.5 (strats and soloists) 25 (PRS) and whatever my Martin is in. I seem to move between them seamlessly without really thinking about it. (Though I did just comment that I'm not sure I would like the 26.5 scale of the Periphery 7 string, but then again I don't play in drop C).
Would 1/4" really make a noticeable difference between the instruments? I can't tell between my PRS and LP. I can feel the other playing differences, but not so much the scale. The most apparent to me is the lack of frets 23 and 24 (main reason why my strats don't get as much play anymore).

I still keep a couple of Les Paul guitars in my collection but any PRS guitar with the signature PRS body shape is going to be a LOT more comfortable to play, regardless of the scale length.

1959_LesPaulStyle_1875x1280.jpg

Would 1/4" really make a noticeable difference between the instruments? I can't tell between my PRS and LP. I can feel the other playing differences, but not so much the scale.

The first time I played a 24.5" scale PRS in a store I immediately marveled at how much more comfortable the playability was. But everything we are talking about here is all in the category of subtle details. The details between the various lines are all pretty small but very noticeable to those who pay attention to such things. I suspect that you don't notice because you are very accustomed to all the differences.

This is just me playing devil's advocate. I currently own guitars in 24 3/4 (LP 7 string) 25.5 (strats and soloists) 25 (PRS) and whatever my Martin is in. I seem to move between them seamlessly without really thinking about it. (Though I did just comment that I'm not sure I would like the 26.5 scale of the Periphery 7 string, but then again I don't play in drop C).
Would 1/4" really make a noticeable difference between the instruments? I can't tell between my PRS and LP. I can feel the other playing differences, but not so much the scale. The most apparent to me is the lack of frets 23 and 24 (main reason why my strats don't get as much play anymore).

One major difference that occurs because of the scale difference from 24.75" to 24.5" (and even moreso with 25" to 24.5"), beyond the actual physical scale difference, is the lower tension on the strings for the short scale, assuming same gauge. That is possibly the most influencial "feel" that one gets from a not too-different scale length.

Going from my P24 to my Baritone (27.7") has an obvious scale length difference, plus the different strings and tensions!

My recommendation is to find a 2nd hand Stripped 58 (there are 10-tops out there too), pretty much no difference between that and a SC-58 or current SC-245 except aesthetics (and price obviously)

What is your opinion on the S2 model's playability/versatility compared to the rest?

I'd really love one that had Humbucker sounds while also allowing for Single-coil sounds as well, but they're just so similar to each other.

They're great (well, all of them are)! The S2 has a slightly narrower nut width than the others, which may or may not be an issue depending on how picky you are. Just don't expect the splits to sound like a Strat or a Tele. It still sounds like a Singlecut, just a bit "lighter" if that makes sense. A bit scooped in the mids and doesn't hit the amp as hard.

Back