Differences between H2 and 335?

H2-DGT

My 2005 H2 (w Archtops) has a tendency to sound a little "plinky" on the top two strings. It made me curious about how it compares to a 335, which I understand tends to sound more "electric" than necessarily hollow. I have a DGT which seems to completely cover that area of solid-body electric for me, but I was curious as to other's experiences between the two.
Thanks!

If its sounding like that plugged in, change the pups. I really do not dig the archtop Pups at all. They sound very plinky to me all over. 57/08s should get rid of that if the guitar sounds good acoustically. A 335 has a very different sound. Its plywood and semi hollow. Not nearly as resonant.

They're two completely different sounds, even with 57/08s. If you want the 335, I'd recommend getting something like that. I kind of wish PRS made something like that any more. The closest I have is the SC-J, but even that's a completely different animal.

I dunno, the Hollowbody II is close enough to a 335 for my purposes. The other guitarist in my band had one for a while and we both had the same pickups (Lollar Low Wind Imperials). I'd say the 335 has a bit more of an edge to it, presumably from the center block, while the HBII was a little more warm and rounded.

I'm not a big fan of the Archtop pups, at least not for blues and rock styles. I like the more open mids and better high end response of the Lollars.

Back