Differences between “Pattern” and “Pattern regular”

Isaac cruz

What are the main differences between these two? The SC 58 I have with a “Pattern” neck feels like it is a slightly V-ish profile. It also feels like a medium sized neck. It’s pretty comfy even though I usually prefer skinnier necks.

How is the “Patern regular” in comparison?

Definitely a noticeable feel. I've got 2 w/f necks, or patern, and I have 1 patern regular. Its different than the w/t or patern thin. I like the patern! Especially on my rosewood neck. The patern regular is a good option from the patern for me when switching , I think its definitely going to be which feels best in your hands. I've had a couple of the patern thin necks out of the 3 , which I like! I like the patern and patern regular thr most.

Wide-fat aka Pattern is my next to favorite. Pattern Vintage takes that award. I had a 513 with a Pattern Regular, and it was nice, but I think the neck is part of the reason I never bonded with it. I like thicker necks. Ive only played pattern thin on SE"s. If the core are similar, it's definitely not my thing. It's not super thin like some others, but still too thin for my liking.

Speaking as an owner of all the PRS neck shape (i won't list them). Pattern feels great if you are used to Gibson neck shapes in general. Pattern Regular feels much more modern. Similar to Matte82, I had a 513 with a Pattern Regular which I never bonded with, and sold to a friend coming off an ESP Horizon, who loved the neck. Also, never bonded with any 509s because of this. So it is a significant difference imho.

Bottom line: Go to the store and play both. Prose descriptions are never a match for real feel.

The original 513 neck carve is a large neck , the Silver Sky is also on the bigger side.
The DGT is still deep but more narrow to me. Most happy on bigger necks
Funny how 1/32" feels SOOO different

The original 513 neck carve is a large neck , the Silver Sky is also on the bigger side.
The DGT is still deep but more narrow to me. Most happy on bigger necks
Funny how 1/32" feels SOOO different

Exactly. So little can feel like so much. I have yet to find a 513 neck to play. I want to try one.

Anyway take pattern vintage. By the specs it’s the largest neck they make. But it actually feels just a tad smaller than pattern/wide-fat to me. Especially around the first few frets. Vintage just feels perfect where a wide fat almost feels a bit bulky. I’m sure it’s the asymmetric carve. But it just feels perfect. Man I miss my 594. :(

Exactly. So little can feel like so much. I have yet to find a 513 neck to play. I want to try one.

Anyway take pattern vintage. By the specs it’s the largest neck they make. But it actually feels just a tad smaller than pattern/wide-fat to me. Especially around the first few frets. Vintage just feels perfect where a wide fat almost feels a bit bulky. I’m sure it’s the asymmetric carve. But it just feels perfect. Man I miss my 594. :(

I’ve never understood why some people feel that pattern vintage feels smaller than pattern. To me pattern vintage is very uncomfortable and had to sell my 594 because of it. Way too chunky. Pattern is fine for me.

Love me some Pattern Regular! :)

PmNTFMu.jpg

Back