Difference: PRS 305 vs DC3?

RocknPop

Hey guys, is there a difference between the 305 and the DC3? I played a 513 yesterday and didn't notice a difference (in the single coils) between it and the 305. Wondering if the DC3 is the same and it's just less money.

There are some notable differences.

The 305 uses the traditional fender scale length (nut to bridge) of 25 1/2"... the DC3 splits the difference between that and the traditional 25" PRS scale by going with a 25 1/4".

In theory, the longer scale length should give the 305 a little added "snap", but the DC3 is actually the snappier of the two because of the bolt-neck configuration at the heel. The 305's neck is a glued-in set neck.

I find the 305 to be a bit smoother sounding and the DC3 to be the more "stratty" sounding of the two.

Also, the 305 uses brass bridge saddles... the DC3 uses steel. Again, possibly a "snap" contributor.

The only one I don't understand is the Swamp Ash Special. It's also maple neck, and carved top like the 305 (the DC3 is a flat top with a pickguard) but sticks with the PRS 25" scale. I would have thought PRS would standardize their bolt on necks to all be 25 1/4.

Baimun pretty much nailed it. I found the 305 to be "stratty" for sure....but definitely a beefier and warmer tone than a typical strat. I actually really dug it....lots of usable single coil tones in there!

the DC3...def more spank and snap!

As for the SAS. They designed that guitar years ago now....back before they really deviated from the 25' scale length. I bet if they designed the SAS today there would be a good chance it would have the longer scale length as well. Would they ever standardize and elongate the SAS scale? Possibly, but I doubt it; the SAS works well as is!

I knew the original Swamp Ash was 25" like the other models, but i hoped when the new SAS Narrowfield or the Swamp Ash Studio came out that it might be a different scale length.

Baimun said:
I knew the original Swamp Ash was 25" like the other models, but i hoped when the new SAS Narrowfield or the Swamp Ash Studio came out that it might be a different scale length.
I totally agree with you. They could redesign the SAS and come up with something different then just the pick ups.

IMO the ideal would be:

Maple neck/Fingerboard (rosewood option)
birds
Bolt Neck 25 1/4" scale
Alder or Ash carved top body.
Hum/S/S or Hum/NF/NF pickups available
Vol, Tone, Tone w 5 way blade

So it would have the three knobs in normal "5 way rotary positions". When I do "super strats" I like the Humbucker to have a 500K ohm tone pot, and the singles to get 250k ohm pots. Then when you do any pickup selection with 2 pickups and you change the tone knob on one pickup, you get more variety of tones.

The 25 1/4" splits the difference for normal PRS scale and Fender, while the maple/maple/bolt neck gets that traditional "super strat" foundation.

That would be a gig-tastic instrument right there. :mrgreen:

It could be called the "CS" (half CE, half SAS) or (Carved Strat :p )

Went to my buddies and played my DC3 side by side with his 305 and found that my DC3 is louder. We both rolled the volume and tone to 10 and played through the same amp both together and independently. Even though my DC3 has very old strings (changing them now), it was still louder.

The 305 was slightly warmer, while the DC3 had more bite. It was really nice to play them both side by side and notice how different they sound. I was frankly surpised that my DC3, with the shorter scale, was louder. Bottom line, we both agreed that the DC3 definately had a "strattier" tone.

Back