Difference in feel between two almost identical guitars?

GnarCalShrddr

Was at the music shop today playing two wood library guitars

Guitar 1: Custom 24-08, satin maple top, satin korina back, satin torrifed maple neck, cocobolo fretboard, uncovered 85/15s
Guitar 2 Custom 24, nitro maple top, nitro swamp ash back, satin torried maple neck, zircote fretboard, covered 85/15s

I loved the color on the 24-08 (guitar 1), it's a blue burst, and it has the coil splits.....but I couldn't stop playing the other custom 24 (guitar 2) which is in autumn sky....it just felt so much better....I literally couldn't put it down. The shop owner thought it might be the set up so he changed the action on the 24-08 (guitar 1) to match that custom 24 (guitar 2). But the custom 24 (guitar 2) still felt better. It's just not my favorite color so I'm on a waiting list to get the similar set up in blue. It's it all in my head or does each guitar kinda have a different feel even though they both had the same neck profile/pick ups?

PRS models are probably the most consistent guitars on the market when comes to build quality and feel. But, in my opinion there are slight differences between those of the same model and build specs. My 594 HBII neck feels just a bit less bulky that my 594 Singlecut. The neck of the HBII 594 just feels better. I've owned three Modern Eagle V's and now I'm down to one the Dragons's Breath glow PS.... It wasn't even my first one. My first was a Sage Green PS and was so stunning to look at but didn't "feel" as good as my Dragons Breath. I eventually sold the Sage because I couldn't put the Dragons Breath down, it just feels awesome and resonates like no other. I still can't put it down, it's the most amazing guitar I ever owned. I also had a Purple fade Limited MEV, agin really nice guitar just not as amazing as the Dragons Breath one.

This sounds like the start of a “What guitar did you pass up because of XXXX?” I, having smaller hands, knew I wouldn’t get down with a Wide/Fat neck. I picked up a Zach Myers and it spoke to me and now it lives at my house. As Gandalf once said, “the wand chooses the wizard, Luke”

Not one guitar I’ve ever played feels exactly the same as another one. That’s why I don’t really care about neck specs anymore. You just got to play the damn thing and see what it’s like. I have loved and hated just about every neck profile I’ve ever known. Even within the same model of guitar.

For example the PRS wide/fat neck. It has felt different on every guitar I’ve tried, even with the same scale length, radius etc.

I avoided the Mira for a long time 'cos I never got along with wide-thin necks and its my favorite guitar at the moment.

Sometimes liking the color isn't important and it may grow on you too if the guitar feels "right". There is nothing that guarantees the same guitar in a color you like will feel the same either. I did that with S2 594 DC and should have kept the one with the finish flaw that sounded best (#2 out of three). Ended up selling the one that looked perfect as it didn't sound or feel great. I was very new to PRS and caught up in the beautiful finishes.

Good luck OP. Go with the good feeling one I say!

Of course they feel different.
I would wager that they sound different as well.

It is not in your head.

These 2 guitars have different fingerboards.
These 2 guitars have different finishes.
These 2 guitars have different backs.
One of them has uncovered pickups.
The other has covered pickups.

How are they "almost identical"?

Last edited:
Definitely not in your head. If I were in your shoes, I would snag guitar 2, regardless of the color. Getting that same model in a different color doesn't mean it's going to feel just like that guitar you bonded with.

I have two “identical” 513s. Same year, same pickups, same materials, both have Brazilian necks. Even the hardware is the same finish. They are different stain colors, but that’s it. All that in common, yet they weigh different, and there are slight differences in the way they play. Certainly interchangeable on live gigs, and that’s how they’re used, but they’re not identical even though they are as “identical” as you’re likely to find.

It‘s normal.

Each guitar has its own soul. That gives it a unique feel and tone. I tell people that when I do a setup on a guitar, I set the action to where the guitar wants it to be set. Each guitar has a setting that just feels easier to play. I set everything to measurements that I know will get me into the ballpark and then start fine tuning from there. I also like to say that they all have their individual personality, just like we do.

Of course they feel different.
I would wager that they sound different as well.

It is not in your head.

These 2 guitars have different fingerboards.
These 2 guitars have different finishes.
These 2 guitars have different backs.
One of them has uncovered pickups.
The other has covered pickups.

How are they "almost identical"?
Yeah I guess I was just implying that they’re 24 fret customs with the same neck profile. But you’re right a lot of other variables. The shop owner said guitars are made from trees which were living and breathing so makes sense that no two are alike. I bought my first PRS back in 2004 online, never played it in person, so now that I’m thinking of upgrading to wood library I’m really taking my time to feel them out.

Was at the music shop today playing two wood library guitars

Guitar 1: Custom 24-08, satin maple top, satin korina back, satin torrifed maple neck, cocobolo fretboard, uncovered 85/15s
Guitar 2 Custom 24, nitro maple top, nitro swamp ash back, satin torried maple neck, zircote fretboard, covered 85/15s

I loved the color on the 24-08 (guitar 1), it's a blue burst, and it has the coil splits.....but I couldn't stop playing the other custom 24 (guitar 2) which is in autumn sky....it just felt so much better....I literally couldn't put it down. The shop owner thought it might be the set up so he changed the action on the 24-08 (guitar 1) to match that custom 24 (guitar 2). But the custom 24 (guitar 2) still felt better. It's just not my favorite color so I'm on a waiting list to get the similar set up in blue. It's it all in my head or does each guitar kinda have a different feel even though they both had the same neck profile/pick ups?
You are not imagining things. I’ll even suggest that you can have two identical models with the same features and identical setups, and one will be magic and the other meh. There have been many theories on this phenomenon; differences in coil windings, wood density variations, built on Monday instead of Friday…
Whatever the difference, when you find a guitar that you can’t put down, you buy that guitar. (Even if it’s not your favorite color)

Last edited:
The configuration of guitar 2 isn’t going to show up very often...unless it’s an early arrival of a dealer wood library run. I would seriously consider taking the sure thing home and negotiating a right to trade if/when a nicer colour comes in.
Thats a good point, the guitar actually arrived a week ago. I’m actually #2 on the waitlist for the blue version. Another customer is a frequent buyer and he already put his name down. So the longer I wait I could miss out on both.

Back