Difference between single and double cut 594s

First timer here and I'm struggling with the same issue. I know I want a 594, but I just can't decide which to get. I'm leaning towards the singlecut, but part of me wants something different since I have a R9 already. Maybe that's the shape for me. It looks like I can't go wrong with either, so I guess it will come down to what kind of price I can get.

Steve just remember to share your journey and destination with us all here. Please :D

I went back and forth between an R9 and the prs 594 SC. I already have a McCarty that I bought in 1998. So I knew about the quality. I also had a LP studio back in the day as well. Actually the McCarty replaced the LP studio.
After PRS added the TCI pickups to the 594 I let my faith in PRS sway my buying decision and got a SC model.
So far no regrets on my part at all.
As an aside I would still like an R9. I met Les Paul in the 90s. He was extremely kind and autographed a denim Gibson Jacket that I was given. He told me I now had a "one of a kind" article.
I still have it and it remains unworn.

Would you recommend getting a newer model with the TCI pups? Any idea how they differ with the older models?

Would you recommend getting a newer model with the TCI pups? Any idea how they differ with the older models?
I would say yes, get a newer one. Between the TCI and the nitro finish there is just something about the 2020 that is “different”. The older ones still rock, but the newer ones are “better.” This was confirmed last February when I got together with 4 other forum members for a 594-athon. One of them is a certified 594 cork sniffer. But we all agreed that there was just something more about the ones that had nitro and TCI.

All things considered, the 594 is easily one of the best guitars i've ever owned or played. I'm actually playing it as I type this lol[/QUOTE]

Tone and wisdom in the same fingers. Nice!

First timer here and I'm struggling with the same issue. I know I want a 594, but I just can't decide which to get. I'm leaning towards the singlecut, but part of me wants something different since I have a R9 already. Maybe that's the shape for me. It looks like I can't go wrong with either, so I guess it will come down to what kind of price I can get.

I have one of the original GOM 594’s and an R9. Different animals. Get the DC if you want something different. Get the SC if you want to replace the R9. I really want to try the SC594, but I can’t bring myself to letting go of the R9. Keeping both seems to be too redundant for me.

The good news is that whether you get a DC or an SC, you can't really go wrong. Both are terrific.

One nice advantage to the DC is that it's lighter. So if you're doing long gigs or sessions, there's that to consider.

I couldn't agree more, Schef. They are VERY different. My SC is a 2020 with TCI pickups, and I feel it nails the classic SC tone while offering a wider selection of sounds around the edges, if you will. The DC gets close but has it's own sweet, creamy tone that walks its own path. I recall hearing the 594 in person for the first time at Experience and GOD was it amazing. I think they played it through a Blistertone amp or a DGT head, not sure. It just sailed on its own wind, it was incredible.

It's nice to know I'm not hearing things!

I really love the TCI pickups, by the way. I have them in my McCarty Trem, and they're absolutely killer - beautifully balanced, and responsive. Granted, the new finish might help, but there's a clarity to the pickups that's desirable. I just cut tracks for a national truck ad with the guitar, and everything turned out detailed and crisp. Definitely one of the nicest guitars I've recorded with.

I will chime with the TCI pickups as well. Get them. You will thank us for recommending them. They have their own sound etc and it's a very good sound.:)

I have both and did a comparison thread a while back. The pictures on it don't seem to be loading for some reason, but the main differences are that the DC is thinner and that the SC has a thicker neck. I'm not sure if this is down to every PRS core being different or if most 594 singlecuts just have naturally thicker necks cus of their body and neck joint, but its definitely noticeable on my two guitars. In terms of playability, I like both. The SC definitely has better upper fret access, but the singlecut having a thicker neck and body, feels like it sustains more. I also like the neck on the SC, but it isn't as easy to play some faster stuff. The SC will have wayyyy better upper fret access than a Les Paul too, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're thinking it maybe a turn off.

In terms of sounds, my SC is a 2020 and has the 58/15 TCI pickups and the DC is a 2019 with the original 58/15. I felt the TCI versions had more clarity and output. It could be down to body, but it was noticeable on the same settings on my Helix. I removed the bridge pickup in the SC with a Seymour Duncan JB since it wasn't high enough output for me. I'd just go with whatever guitar you like more or the one you find in a color you prefer. I definitely prefer my 594s over my Custom 24s, but the pickups are going to be hit or miss depending on what you like. My perfect guitar would probably be my SC594 with my DC594's neck glued onto it.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...eck-profiles-cutaways-body.46102/#post-606003

143492412_121727593151773_2910680740800272915_n.jpg

143590037_1678722518965116_3570621437610629279_n.jpg

I have one of the original GOM 594’s and an R9. Different animals. Get the DC if you want something different. Get the SC if you want to replace the R9. I really want to try the SC594, but I can’t bring myself to letting go of the R9. Keeping both seems to be too redundant for me.
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking - DC to have some variety and SC as a possible replacement. I haven't played one yet, so hopefully I can do that before making my decision.

I was in the same boat. I got the DC 594 to mix it up a little. It may have more to do with pickups but it adds a nice change of flavor for recording or song choices.

Back