Difference between custom 22 and P 22??

Chiliphil1

Hey guys, sorry if this is a repost.

I am looking to get a core model here pretty soon, I was pretty hard up on the Mark Holcomb but I think I changed my mind on it.. I am looking at the custom 22, purely because I want a stop tail and I can't afford a private stock but I came upon the p22 and noticed they are the same price. I am planning on getting a MM Petrucci to go along with the PRS and it will have piezo.. So, I thought that it would be cool if the PRS also had it.

My question is, are there any differences between the two, other than the piezo system? The info on the website is pretty vague but what it does list seems pretty much identical, same neck patters, wood, inlay, etc.. So I was hoping one or two of you guys would own or have owned both to help me out here. I have about a 95% chance of having to buy sight unseen which doesn't really scare me with PRS but I wasn't sure about the differences that may suprise me when it arrives..

Thank you in advance!

Along with the slightly thicker body of the P22 (although not as thick as my HB), it is possible the pickups will be different - the P22 will probably have P22 (57/08s), while the CU22 may have any of the recent offering, depending on year (right now it is 57/08s, but HFS/VB were offered in 2013 as options).

Isn't the neck carve Pattern Regular on the P22?

It's Pattern or Pattern Thin on the CU22 unless I'm mistaken.

Therefore you won't get a CU22 and a P22 with the same neck shape.

Last edited:
Isn't the neck carve Pattern Regular on the P22?

It's Pattern or Pattern Thin on the CU22 unless I'm mistaken.

Therefore you won't get a CU22 and a P22 with the same neck shape.

You're right, but for some reason I thought pattern regular was pattern.. I didn't realize there was a difference between the two..

As far as the pickups, the ones that GC has listed say they have 53/10's..

Yeah, those are very different necks. The P/R is way more "Fender"-esque and the Pattern more "Gibson" if you needed to generalise a comparison... you can look at the measurements in the FAQ on PRS' main help page to get an idea of what they are on paper. I like both (the only neck carve I don't really get on with is the Pattern Thin) - but they're not similar in play!

I'd jump on one with the 53/10s personally... even if you hate them they're worth a bit of money now that you can't buy them anywhere anymore (even the secret Private Stock stash has run out).... I love them though, I think they're excellent.

Yeah, those are very different necks. The P/R is way more "Fender"-esque and the Pattern more "Gibson" if you needed to generalise a comparison... you can look at the measurements in the FAQ on PRS' main help page to get an idea of what they are on paper. I like both (the only neck carve I don't really get on with is the Pattern Thin) - but they're not similar in play!

I'd jump on one with the 53/10s personally... even if you hate them they're worth a bit of money now that you can't buy them anywhere anymore (even the secret Private Stock stash has run out).... I love them though, I think they're excellent.

It actually works out for me though, my s2 has the regular and that's the one I want so it's a win..

Back