did you ever turn down a killer top because of the back color?

I passed on one of the initial PS run of MEVs for this reason. The beautiful frostbite top with a dark brown natural back and neck just didn’t work for me. I think the black/grey tops match well with the lighter natural backs (especially a lighter wood like swamp ash or Korina), but the Black-dark brown combo just doesn’t do it for me.

Yes, I strongly prefer natural backs. Black is ok though I strongly dislike the other backs (red, blue, etc.). It caused me to select specific years where the right top color was matched with a preferred back. All PRS are awesome so being selective on the subjective details makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Maybe? I bought this Santana and just couldn't deal with the blue back. Off it went to the PTC to have something done about it. Not the most economical way to go..........

1dK6TJo.jpg

bhxlBxR.jpg

9lH9DzK.jpg

DxBSwFS.jpg

there is no accounting for taste; i get that. i was about to pull the trigger on a gorgeous bonnie pink top until i saw that the back of the body and neck, as well as the front of the headstock, were pepto pink. i had to pass.

I wouldn't buy (by choice) a Fire Red Burst guitar with a solid Black back/neck and don't like the Wrap style bursts - I much prefer the scrape faux maple binding and 'red stain' backs.

Most Bonnie Pink guitars I have seen tend to come with a baby pink (Grandma Hannon Pink) back/neck - but I prefer it when they do a light but 'natural' back/neck.

Unless I'm buying used, then I won't buy anything that I'm not 100% happy with - assuming there is a chance I could find one. If they only released the guitar in Blue and Trampus Green for example, then I'd not buy that guitar at all. If its 'limited edition' and only available in say Charcoal Cherry Burst, then I might buy it even though its not my favourite option. With used, you almost have to accept the aesthetics if the price, condition etc is 'perfect' because there is no guarantee you'll get what you 'really' want at that price.

So I do tend to be more 'flexible' in some situations, but in general, especially buying 'new', I will not accept anything less than 100% 'perfect' in my eyes...

Call me crazy but I don't care what the guitar back or front color is if it is indeed an amazing playing guitar. I am talking about an exceptional playing guitar that speaks to you like no other. If I come across one of those (and I have several times) I am not much interested in color.

If I am just hunting for a new guitar online or in a shop I see what grabs my interest. It could be a few things and I go from there. I have to hand it to PRS, they do a pretty good job of matching colors and fronts and backs to where nothing looks goofy.

Back