Did the DGT neck carve change a little with the introduction of the binding?

Random Gecko

As you may have seen in another thread, I bought a 2016 DGT yesterday that I ended up taking back due to a nut issue. Anyway, I went and played a bunch of 2017 and 2018 DGTs today, and bought a 2018 Goldtop.

Did the carve change with the binding? I've owned 3 previous DGTs so I'm fairly familiar with it, and it feels to me a little wider? Maybe I'm imagining it because of how it looks?

My previous ones have been a 2009 and 2015. Plus I briefly owned a 2016 yesterday, ha! I feel like the edges were rolled a little more severely on the older models but can't really remember!

Last edited:
I believe it's a slightly thinner neck in 2019. I think the same neck smaller profile was also put on the all mahogany standard DGT slightly thinner neck.
So yes occasional different versions do have slightly different necks, I believe they're all extremely similar, but noticeable.

From riff city review:
2019 Core
The Core line has some of the most drool-worthy guitars you could ever imagine. There are tons of options, ranging from model to color to artist packages and more. For 2019, PRS has updated the DGT model and Paul’s Guitar.

Paul’s Guitar has historically marked Paul Reed Smith’s most prosound tone discoveries. Get it? Like profound? (*wink wink*) The newly updated version showcases Paul’s dedication to the most intricate aspects of tone. It also boasts several personal touches such as Honduran rosewood fingerboards, Nitrocellulose finishes, “brushstroke” bird inlays, and TCI pickups with narrow bobbins. It truly is his guitar. He just wants everyone to join him in the fun.

The David Grissom Trem, or DGT model, has also received some fine-tuning. It’s based on the McCarty model, but with special appointments such as taller frets, a unique neck shape, Texas-voiced pickups, and a revised control layout. It is now updated to better reflect Grissom’s original vision for the guitar – no binding, a black headstock, a Gen III tremolo, and a slightly different carve on the neck.

Can anyone confirm by measurements or DGT expertise what some people seem to be feeling?

By thinner I presume we’re talking depth? My issue with the DGT neck was always the nut width. While I prefer 1 11/16” on everything, I can handle a PR (though the narrower width bothers me much more on a 24 fret neck for some reason).

So, is there concrete evidence that the nut width may be wider than the traditional DGT?

If you're talking nut width, PRS specification is 42.1 mm, (1 21/32") so it is definitely narrow compared to the standard 43 mm we all know and love.
My very first expensive guitar 20 years ago was a mistake, I bought the music man axis sport , it had nut width 41.3 mm, I was depressed I decided I could never be a guitar player. I cannot play a single open chord on those guitars with my fingers, same with a vintage tele I reissue , tried out at the time,
A guitar Center employee turned me onto the PRS advising me they were 43 mm very wide, WOW, so I almost never buy a guitar unless it's a minimum of 42.3- 44mm nut. Suddenly I could play almost perfectly. PRS saved my life.
So I was worried as well about the DGT since the specifications are 42.1, I thought I would try it out just see if I like it or not so it was a gamble.
I was super happy the string spacing is nearly identical to the 43 mm styles,
mine measures slightly bigger which I'm very happy about. My custom DGT neck fits me perfectly, so it is luck of the draw. I never think about it it's transparent and plays absolutely the same as all my bigger neck guitars.
cCHNeqj.jpg

VHTWRW6.jpg

There are some threads about DGT necks, David Grissom says he can feel the difference because they're all handmade and custom.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/neck-dimensions-of-dgt-over-the-years.14204/

I feel like the addition of binding has changed the feel slightly in 2017 and 2018 though. Grissom said as much in a video I watched. I don't necessarily think it's width but it's the rounding of the binding edges.

Back