Did some minor surgery on my SE Hollowbody II...

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
The before...
set1.jpg

The during...
set2.jpg

set3.jpg

And the after...
set4.jpg

Also discovered I had a set of lampshades in my parts drawer, yay!!
set5.jpg

Concur. Good job. The locking tuner swap required on a few simple steps and positioning with a machinist's rule. Don't forget to buy a 10mm deep socket for tuners, you'll find it much easier this way.

Concur. Good job. The locking tuner swap required on a few simple steps and positioning with a machinist's rule. Don't forget to buy a 10mm deep socket for tuners, you'll find it much easier this way.

I just used a small adjustable wrench.

I used a nut driver on mine. Worked perfect. BTW, nice work Aahzz. Looking good.
prod_16529842412

You're braver than me. My concern was the wrench slipping and dinging the finish. I used a $3 (10mm) ¼" deep socket, a $2.75 hex>square ¼" adapter, and my ratchet-reversible screwdriver. My hands aren't steady enough for the adjustable wrench.

I had the same concern, just worked slowly and carefully.

Your deceptive thread title has me yelling “NOOOooooo!”

Then I read what you did and I was relieved. You had me for a moment.

Nice. Looks great and likely makes string changes a little easier. Notice any tonal shift?

I had the same concern, just worked slowly and carefully.

So did I, but you said 15 minutes. I was like, how the heck...? I think even working slowly, it took me almost 45 minutes. I was checking the West St video as I was working, so that may have been the reason...:oops:

So did I, but you said 15 minutes. I was like, how the heck...? I think even working slowly, it took me almost 45 minutes. I was checking the West St video as I was working, so that may have been the reason...:oops:

OK, I lied. I got curious and went back and looked at the time stamps on my photos - counting unstringing/restringing it was 45 minute, with 25 involved in the actual tuner swapping part. There was a 5 minute interruption by Mrs Aahzz involved.

I'm also curious as to why you mentioned using a machinist's rule - I just positioned them using the small screw for the back of the headstock - what other positioning option is involved? Wondering if I missed something by not watching a video/reading instructions...I just unscrewed the screws on back, then undid the nuts that hold them on, then reversed the process.

Back