Did not get the new gig - prob. a good thing.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrianC, Feb 21, 2020.

1. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Zombie Eight, DFZ

I never had a pair... I feel like I missed out on those and a mullet. However, I made some equally (but opposing) awful fashion choices... so I’m not goofing on you. :p

Alnus Rubra, markd21 and bodia like this.
  2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

That's ok. I blame the perm and hi-lights I had in the mid 80s for my baldness today. :D

3. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Zombie Eight, DFZ

My Steven Seagal ponytail and pre-man bun wrecked my hairline. :D

4. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Navin R. Johnson

Honestly, they didn't get much radio play around here, and what little I heard didn't drive me to go seeking more. Ironically, if I heard certain songs by Living Colour on the radio, I wouldn't have chased down their albums. But once you like the group and buy the album, you end up liking songs out or your normal wheelhouse style-wise.

sergiodeblanc and bodia like this.
  5. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

1980. Sophomore in high school. Didn’t have a Member’s Only jacket (reserved for the sleeze-bags at the discos) but did have parachute pants and Polo shirts. When I wasn’t playing with our rock band, I was at the under 18 discos because there were more girls. Dance moves got more attention from the cute girls than the guitar, but when you combine the two, the results were greater than the sum of the parts. ;) However, at 16, despite having a lot of hair (but not too much), I still looked 13, 6’ tall and weighed 130lbs maybe when wet. Not the big macho man. In fact, didn’t have to shave until I was in college!

sergiodeblanc, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  6. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

this is the kind of deep thinking i want behind the scenes of my 80s tribute.

bodia likes this.
  7. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Early 80’s was Harrington jackets and Farah trousers, by mid 80’s it was all New Romantic style! Oh the photos!!

8. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Navin R. Johnson

"Deep Thoughts, by JXE Handy"

Boogie, bodia and dmatthews like this.
  9. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

it was a trap: also 90s.

bodia and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  10. Parralax view

Parralax view New Member

When I first came to Hawaii, my goal was to play again. I immediately posted cards and notices at the local git shops, and kind of mulled my time with some guys that were contractors of mine. It was more a their company thing, get together type thing in their warehouse. Much fun was had. I got a call from a lady who said she and her husband were in a band and the guitar player had quit to move back home to Georgia. So I go to the club, set up, we do a few things they had given me a cd on, and I began to question why I was there. These were simple songs, maybe ten all together and I got them quickly, too quickly it seems for them. They expected a struggling musician that they expected to lean on them, instead, they got a guy who came prepared, could play all of it, and most likely better than they. In the end it was all hearts and flowers and I expected to have the job. Instead, I was told I was too old for their image, too well versed in that they thought I might want to take over, and in the end we walked in different directions. First time I was too old or too good. I've always been not good enough or what ever, but never too old. Heck these folks were in their late 40's...then again it might have been me Playing Hot Rod Lincoln correctly and they were expecting Jerry Garcia....;-)

bodia, Alnus Rubra, pac90 and 2 others like this.
  11. Gabod

Gabod New Member

Now that is a quality post, folks!

12. BrianC

BrianC more toys than talent

Yeah, the "too old" thing is a drag. I get it but I dont have to like it.

bodia likes this.
  13. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Yeah that sucks!

Hearing that makes me realise how lucky I am.