Did not get the new gig - prob. a good thing.....

That’s understandable, and it’s easy to miss stuff. The 80’s was such a broad time period with so many diverse acts and genres, and Bad Brains were far from being a mainstream band.

But,
Cult of Personality is 100% a Bad Brains “inspired” song.
Honestly, they didn't get much radio play around here, and what little I heard didn't drive me to go seeking more. Ironically, if I heard certain songs by Living Colour on the radio, I wouldn't have chased down their albums. But once you like the group and buy the album, you end up liking songs out or your normal wheelhouse style-wise.

Members Only jackets were out of “fashion” by then, Vivid was released in the tail end of the wrestling shoe era.
1980. Sophomore in high school. Didn’t have a Member’s Only jacket (reserved for the sleeze-bags at the discos) but did have parachute pants and Polo shirts. When I wasn’t playing with our rock band, I was at the under 18 discos because there were more girls. Dance moves got more attention from the cute girls than the guitar, but when you combine the two, the results were greater than the sum of the parts. ;) However, at 16, despite having a lot of hair (but not too much), I still looked 13, 6’ tall and weighed 130lbs maybe when wet. Not the big macho man. In fact, didn’t have to shave until I was in college!

1980. Sophomore in high school. Didn’t have a Member’s Only jacket (reserved for the sleeze-bags at the discos) but did have parachute pants and Polo shirts. When I wasn’t playing with our rock band, I was at the under 18 discos because there were more girls. Dance moves got more attention from the cute girls than the guitar, but when you combine the two, the results were greater than the sum of the parts. ;) However, at 16, despite having a lot of hair (but not too much), I still looked 13, 6’ tall and weighed 130lbs maybe when wet. Not the big macho man. In fact, didn’t have to shave until I was in college!

Early 80’s was Harrington jackets and Farah trousers, by mid 80’s it was all New Romantic style! Oh the photos!!

When I first came to Hawaii, my goal was to play again. I immediately posted cards and notices at the local git shops, and kind of mulled my time with some guys that were contractors of mine. It was more a their company thing, get together type thing in their warehouse. Much fun was had. I got a call from a lady who said she and her husband were in a band and the guitar player had quit to move back home to Georgia. So I go to the club, set up, we do a few things they had given me a cd on, and I began to question why I was there. These were simple songs, maybe ten all together and I got them quickly, too quickly it seems for them. They expected a struggling musician that they expected to lean on them, instead, they got a guy who came prepared, could play all of it, and most likely better than they. In the end it was all hearts and flowers and I expected to have the job. Instead, I was told I was too old for their image, too well versed in that they thought I might want to take over, and in the end we walked in different directions. First time I was too old or too good. I've always been not good enough or what ever, but never too old. Heck these folks were in their late 40's...then again it might have been me Playing Hot Rod Lincoln correctly and they were expecting Jerry Garcia....;-)

When I first came to Hawaii, my goal was to play again. I immediately posted cards and notices at the local git shops, and kind of mulled my time with some guys that were contractors of mine. It was more a their company thing, get together type thing in their warehouse. Much fun was had. I got a call from a lady who said she and her husband were in a band and the guitar player had quit to move back home to Georgia. So I go to the club, set up, we do a few things they had given me a cd on, and I began to question why I was there. These were simple songs, maybe ten all together and I got them quickly, too quickly it seems for them. They expected a struggling musician that they expected to lean on them, instead, they got a guy who came prepared, could play all of it, and most likely better than they. In the end it was all hearts and flowers and I expected to have the job. Instead, I was told I was too old for their image, too well versed in that they thought I might want to take over, and in the end we walked in different directions. First time I was too old or too good. I've always been not good enough or what ever, but never too old. Heck these folks were in their late 40's...then again it might have been me Playing Hot Rod Lincoln correctly and they were expecting Jerry Garcia....;-)

Yeah, the "too old" thing is a drag. I get it but I dont have to like it.

Back