Did not get the new gig - prob. a good thing.....

BrianC

more toys than talent
I am in a Classic Rock band that I really like with a good group of guys. We are all just good but together we are a solid band - say A- or B+.

Sometimes I wished I was in a band with better players or more popular playing better venues. More money would be great but that's not really the issue.
Many of the guys are in more than one project and that for me is an issue. I feel that if they were dedicated to this project we would go even farther.

Last week I got a call to audition for an 80's band. A tribute to the decade covering a WIDE variety of songs. They play big festivals and make big money attracting big crowds. Many of the songs I like but would never have pick myself to play. The more rock songs of the list were actually VERY difficult to play - some of them I never would pick as they were over my head ability wise to do a really good job.
I learned many songs in a week to get ready for the audition. Adding some from their list and not learning some on the to do list, over all I had 10 ready to go. I played well but was nervous and did a B+ or so job. I got along well with the group on a personal level.

Got the news today that I did not get the gig with the band. In some ways I am relieved and still slightly
disappointed. You never want to hear - your not the right fit. I thanked them and told them that they were great and I was still a fan. I have a gig tonight with my band and another next weekend.

My wife would tell me everything happens for a reason!

Yeah, I got the boot once a long while back and it wasn't fun...But I already knew I wasn't a good fit...I didn't own any sleeveless jean vests with Judas Priest/Iron Maiden patches...but everybody else did.
Don't get me wrong...I LOVE Priest and Maiden...just a different group of guys.

Anyway, as much as this helps or not, My wife would say the exact same thing. It could have screwed up your current band, with guys you already know you like.

I am in a Classic Rock band that I really like with a good group of guys. We are all just good but together we are a solid band - say A- or B+.

Sometimes I wished I was in a band with better players or more popular playing better venues. More money would be great but that's not really the issue.
Many of the guys are in more than one project and that for me is an issue. I feel that if they were dedicated to this project we would go even farther.

Last week I got a call to audition for an 80's band. A tribute to the decade covering a WIDE variety of songs. They play big festivals and make big money attracting big crowds. Many of the songs I like but would never have pick myself to play. The more rock songs of the list were actually VERY difficult to play - some of them I never would pick as they were over my head ability wise to do a really good job.
I learned many songs in a week to get ready for the audition. Adding some from their list and not learning some on the to do list, over all I had 10 ready to go. I played well but was nervous and did a B+ or so job. I got along well with the group on a personal level.

Got the news today that I did not get the gig with the band. In some ways I am relieved and still slightly
disappointed. You never want to hear - your not the right fit. I thanked them and told them that they were great and I was still a fan. I have a gig tonight with my band and another next weekend.

Yeah, I got the boot once a long while back and it wasn't fun...But I already knew I wasn't a good fit...I didn't own any sleeveless jean vests with Judas Priest/Iron Maiden patches...but everybody else did.
Don't get me wrong...I LOVE Priest and Maiden...just a different group of guys.

Anyway, as much as this helps or not, My wife would say the exact same thing. It could have screwed up your current band, with guys you already know you like.

Thank God for the wives. Always willing to say the things we won’t admit! It’s all good @BrianC , I agree with you about the divided attention. I’m at my best when I focus on one project at a time.

If you didn’t learn all of the to do list that they asked then I’m not surprised. That’s not a good first impression.
What songs did you consider difficult?

I think it's very cool of you to tell this story, especially since it didn't have the ending you were hoping for. But even given that you didn't get the gig I think the fact that you learned the 10 songs so quickly and were able to do that and give the audition a go under that pressure is amazing. I say, Well Done to you!!

If you didn’t learn all of the to do list that they asked then I’m not surprised. That’s not a good first impression.
What songs did you consider difficult?
Limelight and Purple Rain. PR would not have been too bad for me. Cult of Personality was tough... spent a lot of time on that one

First Impression their way - they spent 45 minutes figuring out an issue with the PA /wasted time, I learned three other songs from their big list they were not ready to play...

I think it's very cool of you to tell this story, especially since it didn't have the ending you were hoping for. But even given that you didn't get the gig I think the fact that you learned the 10 songs so quickly and were able to do that and give the audition a go under that pressure is amazing. I say, Well Done to you!!

Thanks! A good learning experience. Lesson - listen to your gut. I should have known from the start it was not really my jam. Big Stages were the draw.

Bummer.

I tried to join a band early on in my guitar learning days. Long time ago. I was in over my head and it was obvious.

I didn't make the cut but I will say this, blatant not cutting the mustard sweat is a lot different than I'm killing it sweat!

Being onstage in front of thousands of people isn’t that much fun, anyway.

“Liar.”

“Who asked you to join the conversation?”

“You did, or I wouldn’t be here.”

“Well, unless women are throwing underpants and room keys on stage, it isn’t that big a deal, OK?”

“That never happened to you. Ever.”

“That’s why I said it isn’t that much fun.”

I’m gonna try out for that band, get the gig, and then tell them to eat a bag of d!cks out of solidarity.

They don’t deserve you.

I’ll carry all your Louis Vuitton cases!;)

You're just volunteering because he said he'd tell them to eat a bag of d!cks and you know you won't have to carry anything. And you beat me to it.

;)

Back