DID I JUST FRAG MY RIBBON CABLE????

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by ViperDoc, Nov 10, 2018 at 5:37 AM.

1. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

I bought a beautiful P24 about four years ago and I've played it only a few times. WHY? Because the volume pot started shorting out when I tapped on it, and then it stopped working. So I pulled out another sword from the scabbard and left it to sleep until today. I figured, how hard can it be to solder in a new volume pot?

So I charged up the iron, labeled and snipped a few wires, went in to judiciously remove the leads on the lugs and saw a particularly undesired wisp of fume. I pulled the iron out and saw that I'd "warmed up" the piezo ribbon cable. I MEAN, WHAT THE ACTUAL [email protected]$#????

[​IMG]

AM I DOOMED???

CAN I ALSO SHARE THAT SOLDERING IN A GUITAR CAVITY IS REALLY QUITE AN A$$PAIN???

I need some flux to get my iron tip working better, so I pulled out early. A new PRS volume pot is ready and waiting. What should I do?

2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Wire it up, and plug her in. You might be ok! Or, your [email protected] and this sword goes back in the rack!

Glide-bpm and ViperDoc like this.
  3. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

Nah, I think you’re ok. Unless you plug in and get humpback whale sounds, then you’re screwed. :D:eek:

4. alantig

alantig Sassyless pants

Send it to me. I’ll take care of it, give it a thorough testing and report back.

I am backlogged, so it may be 2 or 3 decades.

I think you’re probably fine. Like the others said, plug it in and see what happens.

5. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Silver pants make me wanna dance.

Bummer.

The good news is that if you did frag the ribbon cable beyond use, you’ll have still improved your piezo acoustic tone by 100%. :p

bodia and ViperDoc like this.
  6. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

AND SHE LIVES!!!

I put on my big boy pants, rewired the pot, closed this baby up with a new piezo battery and plugged it in. She works beautifully. The volume pot is now fully functional and the piezo (breathing a sigh of relief) works perfectly. Soldering is an art, it took me a few trips to the hardware store to get my iron (and my brain) working properly. The flux was key.

[​IMG]

I extended some of the ground connections because they were soldered way tight to the main wires originally. The knob was also loose on the shaft, so I shimmed it with a stripe of electrical tape. You'd never know it's there.

Now she's back in action.

[​IMG]

Now for some Natural Science....

Glide-bpm, Ovibos, alantig and 2 others like this.
  7. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Natural Science......two big thumbs up! Love the Carr, too!

8. alantig

alantig Sassyless pants

Outstanding!

9. Glide-bpm

Glide-bpm We were small but we were slow...

I don't care what anyone says, even using resin core solder versus silver solder... I gotta have flux. Makes that liquid flow like a river and stick like glue when it's cool.

ViperDoc likes this.
  10. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

I started out with a dirty tip, and that's never good. Once I got the flux paste, I roasted the tip in the flux and blasted all the oxides off. Finished the tip with some 300 emery cloth and re-tinned the tip and I was good to go.

Glide-bpm likes this.
  11. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

And BTW, this guitar sounds KILLER!!!!

bodia and Glide-bpm like this.