Did I get Ripped off? :)

Begood

So i bought my First PRS Custom 24 2014 off Reverb. The one in the profile pic.
$2000 It seemed like a Great Buy.. When i Received the Guitar I noticed more Dings than were mentioned.
One Varnish smudge that he mentioned was on the neck was more like a small Hit to the neck..

Anyways the guitar plays Fine, But it caused me to become a bit paranoid that there might be some other things wrong with the Guitar, I couldnt find very many PRS american Made with this color or with the black plastice ring around the pick ups.

Its a Unique Color, like a Cherry red Purple that i haven't seen very much of.
Anyways id like to put some pics up (If i figure that out) if you Guys could tell me if you think i'm good to Go.

It came with size 9 strings
All the Candy papers

PS Pics are at the link below..

Last edited:
I think I found it on the "Sold" area of reverb. Look like a great guitar. The price is very good. A steal, some would say. If it plays good, and there are no "major" dents, dings, scratches, then I would wager you'll be ok. They're put together very well. Solid as a tank. In the end, only you can decide if you're ok with it in the condition it came to you in. A few battle scars can be a cool thing. I've bought a couple that were a little beat up. Price was too good to pass up. They turned out to be fantastic guitars. One of them looked like it was dragged behind a truck. Ok, not that bad, but it was in rough, rough shape. All in all, it's still a killer guitar.

Congrats on your first, and welcome to the forum! As for pics, we love them! You'll need to have 3 posts before you can insert pictures. You will also have to attach them from a third party photo hosting site like Imgur or Flickr. Google Photos may work, too. Not 100% sure about that.

Thank you for the Reply and for the warm welcome..

Is it possible for people to switch Pickups and tremolos?

As in can you put a PRS SE pickup in the American?
Can you put a custom 24 tremolo SE on and American?
And how can you tell the difference?

Thank you for the Reply and for the warm welcome..

Is it possible for people to switch Pickups and tremolos?

As in can you put a PRS SE pickup in the American?
Can you put a custom 24 tremolo SE on and American?
And how can you tell the difference?

Looks great in your avatar pic. Look at it this way: Someone got the dings out of the way so now you have yourself a player you don't need to worry too much about.

The answer to your questions is Yes.

The pickups in the pic have the squabbins, so are without a doubt USA PRS pickups.
The SE tremolo will have a black painted steel block, while Core will be bare brass. There are some other tells, but that one is easily the most obvious.

Looks like it might have an ebony fretboard? Could be a Wood Library or other special run.

I hope you're not suggesting putting SE parts on your guitar?????

That Sir, might get you tarred and feathered! !!

Welcome.

That would be too brutal. It defies logic why someone would downgrade their guitar by putting SE parts on it. Logging into a guitar forum and the OP saying he hopes to put SE parts in his core model is like handing in your homework and giving your professor an apple. And, welcome. :)

...When i Received the Guitar I noticed more Dings than were mentioned...
Today's "dings" are tomorrow's "Relic."

You don't see many relic PRS guitars because PRS hasn't been around long enough yet. But this one looks pretty cool:

xrpwurct6fywah9kii2x.jpg

I hope you're not suggesting putting SE parts on your guitar?????

That Sir, might get you tarred and feathered! !!

Welcome.
No No No not at all!!!! im just wanting to know if it could be that someone would do that to cheat in some deals.
and thanks for the warning lol

No No No not at all!!!! im just wanting to know if it could be that someone would do that to cheat in some deals.
and thanks for the warning lol

Of course some unscrupulous seller could strip the guitar down and replace everything with lower quality parts. Not saying that has been done here but as you know, there are a lot of after-market parts and someone could swap out the PU's for a 'cheap' set for example. It really depends on the seller and whether or not they are being honest. A set of normal humbuckers are the same shape on every guitar so a dishonest seller 'could' swap the PRS humbuckers for a 'cheap' set.

The only time it becomes difficult is if a guitar has completely bespoke parts that only fit in that guitar. A 509 for example would be very difficult to swap out the PU's for something visually similar. There are clues with PRS guitars as their Humbuckers now come with an engraved name on the cover and there uncovered HB's are more square ended than others.

In all honesty, if you know what to look for, you can buy with a bit more confidence. Buying used though, you never know if the previous owner put different PU's in the guitar and then put the originals back in to sell as 'stock' which tends to get a better price. You are still at the mercy of their soldering skills which may not be up to scratch. Buying used, you are at the mercy of the sellers honesty and you should do your homework on what to look for. You could get a great guitar that has barely been played in years and is as good as new, but you could get something that has been modded and then returned as close to stock as they could, maybe even a modded guitar - but if the seller is honest and you know what to look for, you can get a great deal. Its the same with a lot of used items. Buying a used car for example, you need to look beyond the freshly washed and vacuumed car to see if the engine is running as it should, that the body work is good, that its as 'described' rather than as it looks.

The Guitar you have bought, if it is as it looks, as it should be, its a good price for a great guitar. You shouldn't really be asking after buying though. If in doubt, buy new from a reputable retailer. If you don't know what to look for, buy used from a reputable retailer - they should state anything that isn't 'stock'. If you don't know what to look for, haven't done your research to know what to expect, don't buy used from someone you don't know, doesn't have a long selling history with excellent reputation, haven't looked it over or even tried playing it first. That should prevent you getting ripped off!!

Of course some unscrupulous seller could strip the guitar down and replace everything with lower quality parts. Not saying that has been done here but as you know, there are a lot of after-market parts and someone could swap out the PU's for a 'cheap' set for example. It really depends on the seller and whether or not they are being honest. A set of normal humbuckers are the same shape on every guitar so a dishonest seller 'could' swap the PRS humbuckers for a 'cheap' set.

The only time it becomes difficult is if a guitar has completely bespoke parts that only fit in that guitar. A 509 for example would be very difficult to swap out the PU's for something visually similar. There are clues with PRS guitars as their Humbuckers now come with an engraved name on the cover and there uncovered HB's are more square ended than others.

In all honesty, if you know what to look for, you can buy with a bit more confidence. Buying used though, you never know if the previous owner put different PU's in the guitar and then put the originals back in to sell as 'stock' which tends to get a better price. You are still at the mercy of their soldering skills which may not be up to scratch. Buying used, you are at the mercy of the sellers honesty and you should do your homework on what to look for. You could get a great guitar that has barely been played in years and is as good as new, but you could get something that has been modded and then returned as close to stock as they could, maybe even a modded guitar - but if the seller is honest and you know what to look for, you can get a great deal. Its the same with a lot of used items. Buying a used car for example, you need to look beyond the freshly washed and vacuumed car to see if the engine is running as it should, that the body work is good, that its as 'described' rather than as it looks.

The Guitar you have bought, if it is as it looks, as it should be, its a good price for a great guitar. You shouldn't really be asking after buying though. If in doubt, buy new from a reputable retailer. If you don't know what to look for, buy used from a reputable retailer - they should state anything that isn't 'stock'. If you don't know what to look for, haven't done your research to know what to expect, don't buy used from someone you don't know, doesn't have a long selling history with excellent reputation, haven't looked it over or even tried playing it first. That should prevent you getting ripped off!!
Thank you! Thats Helpful for the Future :)

I bought a 97 ce22 quite a while back. It had dragon 1s and guys on the forum at that time were talking about dragon 1 pickups a lot so I decided to buy a cheap one not knowing if I'd like it.

I found this thing pretty cheap and it wasn't a case queen by any means. Lots of character.

Spring claw was screwed tight to the cavity, trem wasn't level (bass side was high), neck pickup wouldnt screw down any farther.

So, new fulcrum screws, new springs, setup trem, pulled neck pickup off to see why it wouldn't screw down.

Somebody had the neck off and put neck screws in wrong place. The two long ones were sticking up through the pickup cavity actually hitting neck PU.

There is a big Crack in the finish (I think anyway ) in the neck pocket so I thought I bought a pos.

I ditched the wing tuners and put on ph2. I don't care if that Crack is into the wood or not because it stays in tune like a MF.

I BEAT that trem like a red haired step child and its incredibly stable.

I've loved that ce for a long time but recently I've thought about letting it go. I'm getting into prs paf style pickups so much lately that I haven't touched it in months.

The project I've been working on for the last few months has got me neck deep in cleaner tones so there hasn't been the need for the rock monster.

Got a Hollow body coming soon so that might force the issue a bit. I really want a core prs with p90s too.

The other night I was tweaking an amp I was using to record with and I had my McCarty plugged in. 8515 neck 5909 bridge, set in middle position, neck full bridge split, volume rolled down a bit and I could hear Page tones. Cool stuff that McCarty is. I have been playing this guitar a bunch lately.

I think I found it on the "Sold" area of reverb. Look like a great guitar. The price is very good. A steal, some would say. If it plays good, and there are no "major" dents, dings, scratches, then I would wager you'll be ok. They're put together very well. Solid as a tank. In the end, only you can decide if you're ok with it in the condition it came to you in. A few battle scars can be a cool thing. I've bought a couple that were a little beat up. Price was too good to pass up. They turned out to be fantastic guitars. One of them looked like it was dragged behind a truck. Ok, not that bad, but it was in rough, rough shape. All in all, it's still a killer guitar.

Congrats on your first, and welcome to the forum! As for pics, we love them! You'll need to have 3 posts before you can insert pictures. You will also have to attach them from a third party photo hosting site like Imgur or Flickr. Google Photos may work, too. Not 100% sure about that.

Posted, What do you think?

Back