Did/does the Special Semi Hollow Body come in different neck profiles?

bobbyk

The PRS site says the Special Semi Hollow body's neck profile is "Pattern". I have one whose hang tag says "Pattern Thin" - and it definitely feels that way. I've see multiple on-line music stores advertising "Pattern Vintage" is the specs for their in-stock SSH guitars.

I ask because I am not bonding with the "Pattern Thin" profile and think a "Pattern Vintage " (if really available} or at least "Pattern" would be the way to go.

Thanks.

As far as I know the ”Pattern Vintage” is only used on the McCarty 594-models. My SSH Limited has got a ”Pattern” profile and I think all of the SSH of that generation does. Not sure if the newer core SSH version is available with ”Pattern Thin”.

Edit: wrote ”Pattern Regular” by mistake

Last edited:
Mine is a 2020 Special Hollow Body Limited Edition. People tell me it’s a Pattern neck even though the hang tag says Pattern Thin. I emailed PRS Customer Service with the serial number and profile question.

The PRS site says the Special Semi Hollow body's neck profile is "Pattern". I have one whose hang tag says "Pattern Thin" - and it definitely feels that way. I've see multiple on-line music stores advertising "Pattern Vintage" is the specs for their in-stock SSH guitars.

I ask because I am not bonding with the "Pattern Thin" profile and think a "Pattern Vintage " (if really available} or at least "Pattern" would be the way to go.

Thanks.

Unless they have a 'Special' run that they commissioned themselves, the SSH should come with the 'Pattern' neck carve - the Pattern Vintage is used on the 594 only. My Special Semi-Hollow, a 2019 'Limited Edition' version, came with the Pattern neck and the new 'Core' version is listed on PRS as having the 'Pattern' neck (not Regular, Thin or Vintage), so I cannot imagine them making these with 'other' neck carves - unless a dealer is prepared to order a batch of them with a non-standard 'neck carve'.

I can only go on what I have seen, read and of course my own Special Semi-Hollow too...

Both of the SSH that I have owned had Pattern carves. One was a Ltd, and the other was a Wood Library run.

Back