DGT vs DGT Std

RocknPop

For those of you who have played both and can actually speak from experience, I'm considering the DGT std and the DGT with maple cap.

What are your opinions on tone differences?

Ah... this is a good one. waiting for replies. I think Dave Grissom already spoke on this in his vid.

FWIW, below is what I posted on Vintage Rocker a few days ago when asked the same question. After having played my Standard for nearly a week now, I think I can safely say that I actually prefer it over the regular DGT. Anyway, here goes.......

Well, I'm still in the honeymoon stages with my Standard, but I also have a DGT Sig (maple/hog) as well, and there are definitely some tonal differences between the two. I don't know that I like calling the maple-topped DGT a Sig, but I will here for comparison sake.

When I first got my DGT Sig, I instantly noticed that it was a little on the bright side for my tastes. After reading descriptions and hearing clips of what others have said and done respectively, I concluded that my Sig was indeed a little brighter in tone than many out there. This probably isn't a bad thing, but when comparing my DGT Sig to my McRosies, I felt I needed to make some adjustments to fatten up the tone a bit while reducing a tad of high-end as well. As a result, I installed a pair of 59/09 pickups, and this seems to have helped in many respects, especially for the bridge pickup.

Then, last Tuesday I went to pick up my DGT Standard. Once I got it home while plugging it into my own amp, I instantly noticed how much warmer and darker the Standard sounded compared to the DGT Sig, even though the Sig currently has the 59/09 pickups installed. At first I thought I might need to brighten the Standard up a bit, but the more I played it, the more I realized this probably wouldn't be necessary since I have plenty of high-end as well as more than enough in the low-end. The DGT pickups in general seem to have little softer and more rounded feel to them than many PAF-style pickups (perhaps boosted lows and scooped mids in the DGTs?), but the Standard seems to naturally bring out some nice mids while the lows sound a bit on the spongey side to me, but certainly not what I'd call muddy. It probably wouldn't be a guitar that I'd want to use for some tight, low-end crunch with the stock pickups, but for jazz fusion or blues/rock, the DGT pickups could be the ideal matchup, for they really do sound very nice when playing these styles with this guitar. While I'm sure the Standard could be used for harder rock styles just as it is, too, I also feel quite certain that if I wanted to beef this guitar up with some of the hotter A5 PAF pickups that are out there, it could rock with the best of them without losing any inherent tonal qualities of the guitar.

Both guitars are all PRS in the sense that they both contain all of the sustain and harmonics that we've grown to love in these instruments. Upon purchasing the Standard with its all-mahogany body, I thought I might be approaching Gibson SG or Hamer Special territory, but the Standard clearly has a voice of its own while having all the PRS character that anyone could possibly want.

All in all, though, while I love my DGT Sig, I have a feeling that the Standard is going to be seeing much more gig time. Of course, I'm sure others will share their own experiences that could certainly differ from mine, but I hope this helps a bit.

RocknPop said:
Very helpful, thank you!! Sounds like the sig is a bit harsh?

I don't know that I'd say the DGT Sig is harsh, for it's really a nice-sounding instrument. In general, I wouldn't say that it's any more harsh than something like a standard McCarty or any comparable model that has a thicker mahogany body with a maple top and a mahogany neck. Although, I sense that my particular DGT Sig is perhaps a little brighter than some, and I really only base this upon a few clips I've heard when comparing two identical DGTs. Some just seem to have a little more depth in the mids and lows while some seem to be a little brighter. It's probably safe to say that any one of us would agree that when comparing virtually any guitar with that of the same model, we'll find some tonal differences amongst them. I also tend to go for darker tones more than I do brighter tones, so I think the Standard just sounds a little better for the way I play. While I feel somewhat the same way about my McCarty rosewood guitars, I tend to feel that they're a little darker-sounding than the standard models simply because they have rosewood necks, but they don't have the tone of an all-mahogany body, either.......totally different bag.

If in doubt, perhaps the thing to do is to actually play the STD against the Sig if at all possible. While I ordered my STD, I still made the decision that I'd compare it with a Sig just to see what my gut reaction would be before making the actual purchase, and I left the store feeling very content taking home the STD. If you're not able to do this, about the only way I can really describe the differences is that the STD generally sounds warmer and darker than the Sig, but it still maintains all of the PRS goodness and DGT tone. Also, if you already have two or three or more maple-topped PRSi in your collection, and if you'd like to add a little variety into the mix, you really can't go wrong with the STD. In the end, though, it just really depends on what you're looking for.

Thanks Jimbob, I guess my fear is exactly what you describe. I have a CE22 all mahogany, which I really like (I love the Dragon IIs), but I'm afraid I might get something that sounds too close to that midrangey growly tone... Unfortunately, I haven't found a shop in Chicago that stocks both...

I don't have a DGT maple capped to AB against, but I do have a DGT Standard and a Standard Satin 22 with Dragon 2's. The two guitars don't sound or play even remotely alike. I suspect that a CE standard is even further different than a DGT Standard.

Perhaps take your CE to the shop to AB with a DGT std

RocknPop said:
Cool, mind sharing your thoughts then? (Other than "get them both!")

My Standard oozes wood grain with every note.

It jangles without sparkling, and it quacks like Daffy Duck on helium. Through the dirty channel of my "C", it is awesome, just awesome, with loads of power that doesn't compromise clarity. Through my Dallas it becomes even more earthy, with a 30's/40's/50's blues characteristic. The guitar blooms and blossums.

Overall, there is a woody edge to it, but it is cleverly distinct and clear, similar to my old McKorina, but it is less "angry", and, well, just more woody.

Hope this helps. ymmv

watelessness said:
[quote="RocknPop]
Cool, mind sharing your thoughts then? (Other than "get them both!")

My Standard oozes wood grain with every note.

It jangles without sparkling, and it quacks like Daffy Duck on helium. Through the dirty channel of my "C", it is awesome, just awesome, with loads of power that doesn't compromise clarity. Through my Dallas it becomes even more earthy, with a 30's/40's/50's blues characteristic. The guitar blooms and blossums.

Overall, there is a woody edge to it, but it is cleverly distinct and clear, similar to my old McKorina, but it is less "angry", and, well, just more woody.

Hope this helps. ymmv[/quote][/quote]

Yeah, I think that nails it pretty well! I've always been surprised when I've heard that Grissom somewhat modeled the DGT after a particular 335 and it's PAF pickups, for I never felt that my DGT Sig sounded remotely like a 335. However, the all-hog version does seem to grab a sense of that "earthy....30s/40s/50s blues characteristic" with sort of semi-hollow flair to it. By the same token, it kicks some pretty good solid-bodied arse if you want that, too. It's really a pretty amazing guitar, IMO.

I like the STD better. I would love to still own both, but after playing 5 DGT's in the past year, this one is more "me". :ugeek:

wilerty said:
Are any of the STDs less than 8 pounds?

Mine is 8.05 pounds, but there's one at Dave's right now at 7.4 pounds, so there must be a few lighter ones out there. I've seen some pushing up into the 9 pound range, though. Here's the one at Dave's:

http://davesguitar.com/products/paul-re ... -standard/

EDIT: A Frosty at Willcutt's at 7 lbs. 5 oz:
http://www.willcuttguitars.com/paul-ree ... llic-birds
Another faded cherry at Willcutt's at 7 lbs. 11 oz:
http://www.willcuttguitars.com/paul-ree ... -moons-492

So, they're out there!

Mine is 7.4 pounds and sounds fantastic. Would have loved to AB with the more typical 8.6 lbs models, but have not had the chance. Suspect all of them sound great.

wilerty said:
Are any of the STDs less than 8 pounds?

Bill, which rule are you going to violate - the "I will only have 4 guitars at a time" or "since I have a Private Stock, I don't need any more guitars"?

:lol:

Back