DGT tuning issue

Same issue here. 2021 DGT, D string binding at the nut. Ive shaped the back of the nut slots (fixed the G but not the D), sanded, lubed, ... At this point I just tune down on the D and up on everything else. Once tuned it is very stable and the Trem works beautifully. If I pull the D out of tune I depress the tremolo and I'm back. Its a little disappointing but I did drop string gauge to 9's and re-setup the entire guitar. Perhaps time and usage will sort it out.
It’s absolutely possible to fix that issue, all it takes is just the right amount of filing or sanding. The hard part is knowing when to stop. But if you go really slow and make sure to not remove material from the bottom of the slot you should be fine eventually.

Same issue here. 2021 DGT, D string binding at the nut. Ive shaped the back of the nut slots (fixed the G but not the D), sanded, lubed, ... At this point I just tune down on the D and up on everything else. Once tuned it is very stable and the Trem works beautifully. If I pull the D out of tune I depress the tremolo and I'm back. Its a little disappointing but I did drop string gauge to 9's and re-setup the entire guitar. Perhaps time and usage will sort it out.
My DGT did take a while to break in.. fwiw.. now it’s perfect. I use 009’s out of preference
edit… now 9.5’s or 10’s

Last edited:
I'm gassing for a DGT, unfortunately they are hard to find as they are not kept in stock at any dealers near me...that maybe a good thing...
Their build quality is so good that I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a new one online. My only preference is a 7 to 7.5lb weight. WoodLibrary ideally if you can afford it, or for a lower price, find a nice used DGT Goldtop with moon inlays….

Last edited:
Check the tremolo screws - the screws that hold the bridge to the guitar. They all must adjusted perfectly to the same height. My '08 had the same issue and it finally took a trip back to the factory to the discover that the screws weren't lined up properly. Each screw has a notch for the tremolo to sit in - they have to be set perfectly.

No nut, no lube (snicker), no stretching strings...it was the screws.

That makes sense. Right now I'm just pulling up slightly on the trem after a divebomb and it seems to pop back in perfectly.

I have a 2023 DGT core that would not stay in tune. Contacted PRS and they said to send it in for re-evaluation. They replaced the bone nut with a synthetic nut and it been in tune ever since. Bone is nice .. synthetic in tune is better.

I recently got 3 DGTs - 2 cores and 1 SE. I’ve noticed tuning issues on 1 of the guitars when I use the tremolo. I put nut sauce on and it’s staying in tune much better now. I wonder if in time the nut will wear / break in and the guitar will stay in tune better even without the nut sauce? Guess which one of the 3 DGTs stays in tune the best? The SE with synthetic nut is the one that stays in tune the best. The core models both have bone nuts. I kind of wish they all had the synthetic nut. Maybe I’ll change my opinion if the tuning stability on the bone nuts improves over time.

I don’t understand why they use bone nuts at all on any model. The regular PRS core nut is great, I’ve had no tuning issues with either of my guitars equipped with that. There are bone nuts on both my DGT and my MEV and I’ve had (now sorted) issues with both. Like others have said, hit the string slots very lightly with fine grit sand paper, a little bit of graphite in the slots doesn’t hurt, and nut sauce works wonders.
But I don’t think you should have to sand anything on a 4+k guitar.
Some folks prefer the tone of a bone nut to the synthetic one, and are willing to accept that the nut might occasionally need lubrication. I like the tone on my DGT and wouldn't change a thing. But we're all different.

The nut material is in the specs and photographs, so they're not trying to blindside anyone. Most of their trem-equipped models have the synthetic nut. We do have a choice.

The question is which nut do you have ? If you have the Black synthetic PRS nut , First clean any lube out of the nut slot , then really abuse the trem , tune up to pitch repeat it will get better with use , UNLESS when you had the nut slot cut it is no longer correct. If it does not improve OR you have a white ( bone nut ) I would replace the nut with a PRS Synthetic nut ( Pattern Reg size ) it improve my Fiore by 1000% and they stay in tune on all my other PRS.

My ‘21 DGT didn’t stay in very good tune (if I used the trem) when I first got it. Bone nut… I used Big Ben’s Nut Sauce a few times and it’s been fine ever since. I also changed to a lighter gauge of strings than the 011’s that they come with…..I think that helped as well…
Never had any tuning issues with the synthetic nut-on my CU24….
My SE Santana has tuning issues and am having a PRS synthetic nut put on. Hope it solves the problem

Last edited:
My ‘21 DGT didn’t stay in very good tune (if I used the trem) when I first got it. Bone nut… I used Big Ben’s Nut Sauce a few times and it’s been fine ever since. I also changed to a lighter gauge of strings than the 011’s that they come with…..I think that helped as well…
Yeah, I’m gonna try sticking with the existing bone nut and nut sauce and see if it gets better. If not, I may eventually switch to the synthetic nut.

Bone is harder than the synthetic material and definitely has a different tone. Used extensively on fine acoustic guitars for nuts and a must for saddles as well…

Last edited:
I've been playing PRS for 30 years with no issue. Agree on the trems. Guitar's only 2 months old. Original string gauge. New strings since I wanted to see if that was the issue. Chalking it up to the bone nut and heavier G string gauge on this model. Maybe they wanted to truly embrace the Gibson mojo on this one lol
Get Some Polishing Papers And Polish The Nut And That Will Smooth It Out A Bit And Help As Well As Using The Nut Sauce.

I recently got 3 DGTs - 2 cores and 1 SE. I’ve noticed tuning issues on 1 of the guitars when I use the tremolo. I put nut sauce on and it’s staying in tune much better now. I wonder if in time the nut will wear / break in and the guitar will stay in tune better even without the nut sauce? Guess which one of the 3 DGTs stays in tune the best? The SE with synthetic nut is the one that stays in tune the best. The core models both have bone nuts. I kind of wish they all had the synthetic nut. Maybe I’ll change my opinion if the tuning stability on the bone nuts improves over time.
@Markcarl .. Do you find a lot of difference in tone and playability between the SE & Core DGT’s you own?

I am not a fan of any sort of lubricant that is a liquid or gel. They collect dirt and create a mess. I have been using graphite in bone nuts for years and it works very well and stays in place for a long time. I keep a couple of tubes of it around. When I get a new guitar that has a bone nut, I put a little in each slot on the first string change. Rarely do I have to do it again. You can use a brush and pencil eraser to clean up the nut once the strings are on.

I am not a fan of any sort of lubricant that is a liquid or gel. They collect dirt and create a mess. I have been using graphite in bone nuts for years and it works very well and stays in place for a long time. I keep a couple of tubes of it around. When I get a new guitar that has a bone nut, I put a little in each slot on the first string change. Rarely do I have to do it again. You can use a brush and pencil eraser to clean up the nut once the strings are on.
Interesting I used to use graphite and I found it very difficult to deal with. The big Ben’s nut sauce I found does not collect dirt. It’s not to be confused with D’addarios version that’s awful and other inferior copies of it out there.

Back