DGT tuning issue

Whackmaster

Master of all things whack
The G string on my DGT does not want to stay in tune after mild trem use or bends. I've lubed the nut and had it filed, but no change. I've also noticed that players in a couple of longer demo videos (Peach Guitars) have had the same issue. Any suggestions, or is this just a quirk of thicker strings? Thanks

It's unwound. I've had it for about a month, so the strings are definitely stretched out by now.

I did put some pencil lead in the nut, which seems to be working. I'll get some nut sauce for it too. It's odd - it would drop pitch after bends, but go sharp after whammy dives.

Totally normal behavior for the G string. The PRS trem is a good one, the secret really is in making sure the G slot in the nut isn't binding, and lubrication to help.

And it could be something as simple as changing string gauges... like a guitar than came from the factory set up for 11s, but you are using 10s, OR maybe your brand of string doesn't have EXACTLY the same G string gauge as the factory used. It doesn't take much. And the G strings always seems to be the worst offender, for some reason.

I've been playing PRS for 30 years with no issue. Agree on the trems. Guitar's only 2 months old. Original string gauge. New strings since I wanted to see if that was the issue. Chalking it up to the bone nut and heavier G string gauge on this model. Maybe they wanted to truly embrace the Gibson mojo on this one lol

Also a lubricant for the nut can really help, I use Big Bends Nut Sauce (har har har)
Big Bends makes the best nut lube :)eek:) and my DGT stays in perfect tuning.. and I use the trem quite a bit. The springs have to break in as well…… it didn’t stay in tune all that great when it was brand new…. Gotta do the lube and break in. I do use lighter strings…. 9.5 GHS Boomers or Elixirs
if not, do what @sergiodeblanc suggested

Last edited:
I've had this plague me recently on a new C24 USA. I am a guitar tech and stripped the guitar completely. Re slotted the original nut. Cut a new bone nut, fitted a Zero fret but nothing I did resolved the Sharp G string after trem use, so yeah, some guitars are just duds..

I had a slight issue like this on one of my PRS core guitars. I can't remember which one it was. I was able to fix mine by touching up the nut slots a little bit. Something else I do when a guitar has this type of issue and I have verified the nut slots is to put some powdered graphite in the nut slot. That works wonders on bone nuts that have binding issues.

I don’t understand why they use bone nuts at all on any model. The regular PRS core nut is great, I’ve had no tuning issues with either of my guitars equipped with that. There are bone nuts on both my DGT and my MEV and I’ve had (now sorted) issues with both. Like others have said, hit the string slots very lightly with fine grit sand paper, a little bit of graphite in the slots doesn’t hurt, and nut sauce works wonders.
But I don’t think you should have to sand anything on a 4+k guitar.

I don’t understand why they use bone nuts at all on any model. The regular PRS core nut is great, I’ve had no tuning issues with either of my guitars equipped with that. There are bone nuts on both my DGT and my MEV and I’ve had (now sorted) issues with both. Like others have said, hit the string slots very lightly with fine grit sand paper, a little bit of graphite in the slots doesn’t hurt, and nut sauce works wonders.
Totally agree

I think Paul decided to do bone nuts was because of the greater transfer of harmonics they give the guitar.
personally, I‘m quite happy with the original synthetic nut that’s on my ‘93 Custom 22 and the heavier Schaller wing tuners giving that guitar a bigger fundamental note. The bone nut and very lightweight Phase 3 tuners on my DGT are more about the harmonics. 2 completely different sounding PRS’s……

I'm gassing for a DGT, unfortunately they are hard to find as they are not kept in stock at any dealers near me...that maybe a good thing...

Same issue here. 2021 DGT, D string binding at the nut. Ive shaped the back of the nut slots (fixed the G but not the D), sanded, lubed, ... At this point I just tune down on the D and up on everything else. Once tuned it is very stable and the Trem works beautifully. If I pull the D out of tune I depress the tremolo and I'm back. Its a little disappointing but I did drop string gauge to 9's and re-setup the entire guitar. Perhaps time and usage will sort it out.

Back