DGT Trick's & Tips

jeffreyjames

Hi All,

Just got a 2015 DGT.. I'm in love.. There seems to be so much to this guitar and I'm just scratching the surface..

My question is, what tips and tricks have you found to be most effective and helpful in terms of tone, etc?

I know it's not a strat and doesn't pretend to be, but is there a way to get more of the strat quack that a strat has in position 2 and 4 using the humbucker split?

Also, what do you typically do with your tone/volume for different tones? Any "magic" settings that you like?

Hi All,

Just got a 2015 DGT.. I'm in love.. There seems to be so much to this guitar and I'm just scratching the surface..

My question is, what tips and tricks have you found to be most effective and helpful in terms of tone, etc?

I know it's not a strat and doesn't pretend to be, but is there a way to get more of the strat quack that a strat has in position 2 and 4 using the humbucker split?

Also, what do you typically do with your tone/volume for different tones? Any "magic" settings that you like?

You’ve probably seen them already, but there are lots of demos by Grissom of how he uses the guitar, uses his amps, etc.

A deep pool to explore is the interaction of the two pickups when your switch is in the middle (both pickups) position. Here's a video I did where I spend a lot of time exploring that. The sounds are more on the clean/Fender amp side of the fence, but the same principles apply if you're playing with more of a crunchy sort of sound.

I have a DGT Artist I gig with a lot (avatar pic). The two volumes and the coil splits make for a lot of sounds and shades. However, the Strat quack is not in there. That only occurs when pickups are next to each other and both are on, like a Strat style on 2 and 4. That ain't possible on a DGT. You'll get more Tele like sounds, but not Strat quack. Unless you want to add a middle pickup.

Love the video, thank you..

A deep pool to explore is the interaction of the two pickups when your switch is in the middle (both pickups) position. Here's a video I did where I spend a lot of time exploring that. The sounds are more on the clean/Fender amp side of the fence, but the same principles apply if you're playing with more of a crunchy sort of sound.

The trick for me is to never use the splitsounds :).I set my neckvolume at 5 and bridgevolume on 10.For a crunchsound with lots of bite and midrange that gives me Tony Iommi in bridge,Van Halen in middle and Robin Trower in neck....well sort of \m/.Volume for neck always stays on 5 and volume for bridge is the only one I use to clean out bridge or middle position,especially if I play with a cleaner sound.To me the DGT layout for volume and tone knobs make perfect sense.I also changed strings to 10s because the trem felt too stiff with 11s and five springs imo.Lately I've been tuning to Eb and the trem feels even better.

Blending is the name of the game. Volumes, the tone, coil splits, and selector switch really give the guitar a chamaleon-like quality. But don't get me wrong, the DGT oozes personality and a vibe all its own.

You just need to work around with the settings and find what works with rig, your ears, and your touch.

I really enjoy the split tones - being a Fender guy at heart - the DGT can really do split coil tones well. That said, the humbuckers in full, raw power mode, just are brimming with character...and are easily shaped with using both the volume and or the tone.

Enjoy the journey, you've got a GREAT ride!!

Hi All,

As said already, you're just going to get into the telecaster ballpark in single coil mode. Try a compressor, it adds some nice punch and pop to the middle position. I did miss those strat tones, so I bought a strat.

Last edited:
Back