DGT Too Bright

Wagster

I have a 2020 DGT and it's too bright for what I like and I'm coming from the Tele world. I've tried everything and I'm wondering if I should move on or try a different set of pickups? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I've had a couple of DGTs, and I didn't think either of them were bright. Pick up height, and pole piece adjustments? Or, if you're running your amp with the same settings as your other guitars, maybe try something different for the DGT.

Surprised the DGT is bright. I wouldn't say the ones I have owned and played were bright. As others have said, pickup height and adjusting amp settings may be helpful. If that doesn't solve the problem then a pickup swap is likely the next practical step. What type of tone are you hoping for? What musical style? Amp? Etc. I have had my share of pickup swaps and may be able to help save you some time and money with that info. :)

My 2021 Wood Library DGT is fairly bright . It was set up to factory specs when I bought it new last fall.
I like warmer tones, but not muddy …..balanced…..
I was able to warm the bridge pickup a lot by setting the pickup polepieces flush to the cover. I also raised the pickup closer to the strings. It’s well balanced now and has warmer high end… I also raised the polepieces on the neck pickup some and raised the pickup up some.
Much more articulate now as well.. it also now has a better middle tone
I would try this first, and don’t sell your pickups to @gush :p he has 1000 PRS pickups. A true hoarder:eek::p
try turning your midrange control down some on your amp as well.. lots of high end in most mid controls on amps cause they’re interactive with the high end by design. A truly misunderstood control on amps…..

Last edited:
My 2021 Wood Library DGT is fairly bright but not Tele bright. It was set up to factory specs when I bought it new last fall.
I was able to warm the bridge pickup a lot by setting the pickup polepieces flush to the cover. I also raised the pickup closer to the strings. It’s well balanced now and has warmer high end… I also raised the polepieces on the neck pickup some and raised the pickup up some.
Much more articulate now as well.. it also now has a better middle tone
I would try this first, and don’t sell your pickups to @gush :p he has 1000 PRS pickups. A true hoarder:eek::p
try turning your midrange control down some on your amp as well.. lots of high end in most mid controls on amps cause they’re interactive with the high end by design. A truly misunderstood control on amps…..
It's my supplemental retirement income.

Hmm... I'm a tele guy and I don't find the DGT too bright? Actually, this is the first time I've heard this complaint.

Hmm... I'm a tele guy and I don't find the DGT too bright? Actually, this is the first time I've heard this complaint.
I think that some of this can come from different weights of wood used on the DGT, (or any guitar for that matter)…
I picked my particular DGT from about 10 that I’ve played. And it was the lightest one I played as well. Generally speaking, the heavier versions are going to be fuller and a bit darker sounding compared to the lighter ones which in my case is airier with more treble.…..every piece of wood is different in response and can influence tones in a big way… and this is just a generalization…..
Maybe @Wagster got a particularly bright one…….
Wagster, did you try adjusting your pickups like I suggested in an above post?

Last edited:
A little late here but I just purchased a new SE DGT and mine is also way too bright for my taste (as bright as my Tele's but the Tele's seem to have more fullness in tone.) I also noticed the tone control has very little effect until it's dialed back below 5. So basically 5 to 10 has no audible effect. I'm wondering if something may be wired wrong. Possibly in the treble bleed circuits or tone control. I adjusted the pickups with no positive results so had the pickups adjusted by a local luthier. Still very bright tone. I've got plenty of guitars to gig with but I was hoping for something different with the DGT.

When is the DGT too bright? When the volume is all the way up? How about when turned down? You can change the treble bleed and tone cap values. You might also want to check the grounds on your guitar wiring and make sure they're properly soldered. Without proper grounding, the cockpit controls won't do sh!t.

Back